LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nvsvc32.exe crashes!

Guest Dilirius

Guest Dilirius

Hiho guys =),

it is my first post here. I tried the search engine to solve my problem but i didnt find anything usefull.

My Problem:

I have an Sony Vaio VGN-FS285H Notebook and I have tried lots of your and other leaked drivers. But on every windows shutdown I get the following message (I simulated it by uninstalling the drivers).

nvsvc32.PNG

I don't know what to do. When I do a fresh Installation of my Windows it works for a few minutes. But after installing my tools this error appears. I don't think it has something to do with my Problems because I use the same tools on my desktop. There are no problems at all.

I tried some drivers of the 70series and some of the 80series.

Please help me =(

Greetz Dilirius

Hiho guys =),

it is my first post here. I tried the search engine to solve my problem but i didnt find anything usefull.

My Problem:

I have an Sony Vaio VGN-FS285H Notebook and I have tried lots of your and other leaked drivers. But on every windows shutdown I get the following message (I simulated it by uninstalling the drivers).

nvsvc32.PNG

I don't know what to do. When I do a fresh Installation of my Windows it works for a few minutes. But after installing my tools this error appears. I don't think it has something to do with my Problems because I use the same tools on my desktop. There are no problems at all.

I tried some drivers of the 70series and some of the 80series.

Please help me =(

Greetz Dilirius

I had the same problem with new NVIDIA drivers (except with the 81.85 DNA) so I did this: Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services and disable NVIDIA Display Driver Service...

You may have the remains of an old driver conflicting with your current drivers. Go into the Windows Control Panel and Uninstall the driver, then use a driver cleaner to remove any remnants from the registry. Reboot and reinstall and see if it helps.

If that doesn't work, then disabling the service is the best thing you can do.

Thanks for this quick answers. At Sudlow: I even did a fresh installation of windows. so there shouldnt be any remains :) .

What is this nvidia service used for. Isnt it essential for the driver?

Greetz

Dilirius

It's not essential to the driver and many people disable it just to free up some CPU cycles. I think it has something to do with the Nvidia Desktop Manager, though even that seems to run fine without it.

Thanks for this quick answers. At Sudlow: I even did a fresh installation of windows. so there shouldnt be any remains :) .

What is this nvidia service used for. Isnt it essential for the driver?

Greetz

Dilirius

The NV service is enabled after a fresh install of XP, I did on the other day and had to disable it as I also had problems but when I shut the system down.

Disable the NV service like this:

1) 'Start'

2) 'Run'

3) Type in 'services.msc'

4) Look for 'nVidia Display Driver Service'

5) Stop/Disable this service

And that's it.

nvsvc service seems to have something to do with the Nvidia PowerMizer

If I shut down the service my notebook doesn't recognize switching from battery to external power.

If I turn it on again, switching from battery to external power is recognized by Nvida PowerMizer again.

So a fix for this problem could really help some users.

I have a Toshiba M200 with FXgo 5200.

Mannualy stopping the nvsvc doesn't always bring up this error. So my suspicion is, shutting down the Notebook does shut down some service, or something, which the nvsvc would still need for its proper shutdown.

Why not use the Toshiba power utility?

It works fine for me, I have the service disabled...

nvsvc service seems to have something to do with the Nvidia PowerMizer

If I shut down the service my notebook doesn't recognize switching from battery to external power.

If I turn it on again, switching from battery to external power is recognized by Nvida PowerMizer again.

I have the service disabled, and powermizer is working perfect.

Can you describe more accurately what problems you are having with powermizer ?

I just noticed, that with the nvsvc service running PowerMizer shows connects and disconnects of the power supply.

Without the nvsvc service, disconnects and connects are not shown.

Its not a real problem.

Maybe its working fine, but just not showing in the application.

Im pretty new to Nvidia mobile graphics. My other Notebook has ATI graphics and there its a difference in battery life if the gpu is running at full speed or not.

//Edit

Ok, I ran some tests.

i used ATITool to show the graphics frequencies. And to run a 3D Window.

If powermizer is set to full speed my laptop uses up to 17,5w @full 3d load,

if powermizer is set to lowest setting, my laptop uses max. 15w @ full 3d load.

without the nvsvc running the gpu is always running on high speed even if i disconnect the power supply.

with nvsvc running the gpu is sucessfully clocked down to half the speed.

So i keep my nvsvc service running and let it crash on every shut down. That doesn't hurt me, but having less battery time hurts me.

I can't see any "connects" or "disconnects" in my powermizer page ...

maybe i am looking at the wrong thing ?

this is how my powermizer page looks:

powermizer.png

"Current Power Source" changes from AC outlet to "Battery" if you disconnect the power supply.

And "Current power level" changes then to "maximum Power savings"

At least it should and it does on mine if nvsvc Service is started.

If it doesn't change the settings for battery operation mode don't work.

Sorry, must have looked over that!

it seems it does the same with me!

maybe this will increase my low battery time of about 70minutes again :)

isn't there any other fix for this ?

because it seems i'm not having this problem on a pc that is running original nvidia drivers (same version)

should be something in the inf maybe, no ?

So is that what the mysterious nvsvc32.exe does? Checks status of the power source?