LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best GFX drivers for my XPS GEN2?

Y2BuToNz

I have a XPS Gen 2 was wondering what drivers i shud use, everyones i use i get poor performance in FEAR + POP:TT.

Any suggestions?

Sorry for quick post in a hurry! :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention my GFX card its a 7800GTX Go, cant seem to find any drivers which increase performance in FEAR mainly. I dont geddit :)

Try some of the 81+ drivers.

While my card is much different I would recommend the 82.10 drivers with the Dell INF. (FEAR runs fine for me with these)

If not click the driver recommendation link in my sig and try one of those 2 drivers.

Not only do I have fear but my brother has an IXPS Gen2 M170 and we might try FEAR on that sometime, he is actually interested in that game. (otherwise he plays WOW all day)

81.97 is a Dell driver and works very well for me, apparently it is optimised for Dell systems so runs a little better again on them.

What sort of performance do you get in FEAR? res, fps, aa/af?

Only way to know in FEAR is to run their built in benchmark, can't display FPS in game.

I might load up the FEAR demo on my brothers laptop and tell you guys what settings I can run on that.

FEAR is so cool, if you have a DX9 card or better and a good system you need to get it.

I was playing the demo the other day,,, didn't actually look at the settings it was on, I just let it auto configure. Was definitely running 1024x768 with probably a mix of med/low settings, leaning more towards mid. Guessing 20-30 fps, not super smooth but definitely playable.

This is just on a go6600 at standard clocks, your go7800GTX should have no issues at all running FEAR at 1024x on full settings. The only thing I can see being a hindrance is your screen @ 1920x1200.

You can't run all settings on anything at the moment.

For starters you can't use soft shadows and FSAA at the same time currently, atleast I don't think so unless they have already fixed it, although it is best to run both of those at once on only the most killer SLI setups. (soft shadows kills framerate in this game on even the best cards)

I'm redownloading the demo as we speak on going to burn on CD to try it on our other laptop.

Also the game doesn't natively support widescreen, but I can find a way around that one.

There is also a pixel doubling option, so if we run the game at 1600x1200 on my brothers laptop, it can actually render the game at 800x600.

Anyway tomorrow or later tonight I can probably get settings for it and a IXPS Gen2 M170.

I've got the demo installer on my M2 at the moment.. so will drop it back on the S3 tonight and get some actual setting etc for comparison...

Yes the soft shadows kill.. forgot about that :)

With the pixel doubling... does that just "blow up" an 800x600 image (for example), or would it actually look nearly as good as actually rendering at 1600x1200?

It just blows it up, usefull if your computer can't scale stuff properly for one, I have had my PC crash with fixed aspect ratio scaling, also usefull to have it render at a really low res like 400x300 if your computer is that slow.

I bet after working some magic and drivers I can get the game to run good with high settings at 1920x1600 on the 7800 GTX Go.

i get artifacts with the 82.10's :)

Anyone got a XPS M170 with a 7800GTX Go in which can shed sum light on what drivers i shud use? Im in desperate need of sum solid drivers.

Have you tried 81.98 yet?

It should run without artifacts in FEAR unless your OCing.

I get artifacts in 3DMark 06 when i use the 82.10's. I'll try sum others when i get the chance.

81.98's working fine :)

Thanks for help guys, how did the FEAR testing on ur bro's laptop go Bill?

He hasn't tested it yet, hes too addicted to WOW to bother.

not be be a newb. but what are artifacts? I have a attachment. if someone can tell me what these are I will be so glad. I have a Dell XPS Gen2, Centrino 2.13ghz, 2gig ram, Nvidia Go 6800 ultra 256mb. and im going to try the 81.98 drivers with standard INF. if anyone has some tips on how to do this like installing them. what i do is just click on the setup icon after the extraction. cause right now i have no driver installed. just blank. I was using 82.10 but CS:S and BF:2 was crashing and locking and having weird lines on the screen. look at my attachments. thanks

post-2628-1138706950_thumb.jpg

Replace the INF in the driver with Pieter's mod INF file then go to control panel, right click system, go to properties, then hardware, then device manager, find your card under display adapters, go to properties for it, then follow the instructions to update the driver.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=33

Also suggest you watch the movie in there, you'll need the divx player or codec to watch.

I am thinking the current drivers you are using are causing CS:S to look like that.

82.10 is the only driver that has given me gfx corruption, tested many between 72.50 - 83.40.

82.10 gave me artifacts (1/2CM squared round dots x 20) and it gave me poor performance, nice control panel tho.