LaptopVideo2Go Forums

need idiot proof support

Guest Idiot Dad

Guest Idiot Dad

Right, i have recently bought my son a laptop, with a nvidia geforce go 6400 graphics card. the problem is , it point blank refuses to play half life 2, and when i tried to load up HL2, CS:s etc. the blue screen of death appears, and the laptop reboots. People are telling me i need the latest driver, and i totally agree, but everytime i try to install the latest driver from nvidia.com, as i try to install the driver, a message appears - something something hardware not compatible with current hardware - and im really confused. My current driver is 7.7.4.3, and it is not a system requirements problem because my son plays battlefield 2 with most settings maxed out. i have read all the FAQ's, and i have come to the conclusion that i need the latest driver, and i then need to mod the inf. Please give me an idiotproof guide of how to do this, in bullet points or something i.e. 1. download driver from this link.

2. install it into this directory.

please try to be very specific, as i am a bit of an idiot (you might of gathered.) eternally grateful,

Idiot dad.

Download drivers from - here

Download modded inf from - here

Run the driver package, choose to extract it to your desktop. Drag and drop the modded inf into the newly created driver directory, click yes to over-write the existing file. Run setup.exe and follow all prompts, click "continue installation" when the popup appears midway thru the install. Reboot as prompted at the end of the install.

Once rebooted, go into start menu > run> type "services.msc" and hit enter. Scroll down until you see "Nvidia Display Drivers Service" or similar, right click on this and go to properties. Change the startup type to "Disabled", click ok, and close the services.msc window. You will have one error on shutdown but will never see it again.

All is done :)

Am I just drag and dropping the inf file straight onto the driver, which is on my desktop? or do i have to open the 8198 file, and drag the inf file into a specific location? thnx mate

If you run the driver file, it will extract it (choose to extract to your desktop if it doesn't by default).

It will make a new folder with a stack of files in it, just drag-drop it into there. This folder is also where you will find the setup.exe