LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Powermizer question

Nicola Visentin

When I use my notebook in "battery mode" I set powermizer to have maximum battery life but everytime I reboot my notebook powermizer settings go to default mode (maximum performance for AC and battery), so every time I reboot, I have to change powermizer settings...Is there a way to keep changes permanent, even after rebooting?

Add (or modify) the following four lines in the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section of your inf and reinstall:

HKR,, PowerMizerDefault, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, PowerMizerLevel, %REG_BINARY%, 03,00,00,00

HKR,, PowerMizerLevelAC, %REG_BINARY%, 01,00,00,00

That should work.

Add (or modify) the following four lines in the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section of your inf and reinstall:

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, PowerMizerLevel, %REG_BINARY%, 03,00,00,00

That should work.

I did what you told me to do, I even tried different values for powermizerlevel and powermizerdefault but NOTHING happens...when I reboot powermizer is alway set at maximum performance :)

Okay... Set the values back to the ones I gave you and add (or modify) the following line to the

[nv_ControlPanelSettings] section of you inf and reinstall:

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak", PowermizerPreferences, %REG_DWORD%, 0

Once you have that line installed, you can edit the value in RegEdit without reinstalling. It's under:

HKLM\Software\Nvidia Corporation\Global\NVTweak.

You'll probably have to reboot after changing the value, though.

If that doesn't help, and if you're using a driver more recent than 72.14, try dropping back to 72.14 and see if it works properly. All drivers since 72.14 handle PowerMizer in a different manner, which doesn't work well with all laptops.

One other long-shot: If you've disabled the nvidia service, as many people do, to gain a bit of performance or to get rid of an error message, reenable it again. PowerMizer needs it.

So as not to clutter the forums with more powermizer ?'s I'll piggy back onto this thread.

I have installed 83.08 and now my powermizer "doesn't" have any scroll bars to change settings. Is this a result of powermiser not working on older toshibas? I have a p25-s509, whats that now, maybe 1 and 1/2 yrs old technology.

Yes, that's right. The problem isn't just missing sliders, though. Virtually any power change will drop your GPU speed to "Max Power Savings" which is very slow, and will lock it there until you reboot. To work around it, you need to add or modify the following four lines in the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section of your inf:

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, PowerMizerLevel, %REG_BINARY%, 01,00,00,00

This will disable PowerMizer and set your GPU to max performance.

Yes, that's right. The problem isn't just missing sliders, though. Virtually any power change will drop your GPU speed to "Max Power Savings" which is very slow, and will lock it there until you reboot. To work around it, you need to add or modify the following four lines in the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section of your inf:

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, PowerMizerLevel, %REG_BINARY%, 01,00,00,00

This will disable PowerMizer and set your GPU to max performance.

Okay, after I did the install with the modified inf, thr powermizer is no longer an option on my config screen.

I guess that is what the settings do. I would perfer though to have some control, as this is a mobil system and sometimes I don't need the gpu running full throttle.

How did you learn about these reg settings?

Knowing about the settings is what we do here. :)

Unfortunately, there's no way for you to have any kind of control over the PowerMizer settings unless you drop back to driver 72.14. All drivers more recent than that have the same problem and will drop down to the slowest speed at the slightest provocation and stick there. You can change the defaults to 2 (balanced performance) or 3 (Max Power Savings) in the lines I gave you, but if you're a gamer you won't want the slower speed.

Fortunately, staying on Max Performance doesn't really hurt battery life all that much.

Really it doesn't hurt battery life, you would have to run your CPU at a much lower than normal speed, turn off any extra drives and things, turn GPU down, and run only notepad to get significantly better battery life.

If on one battery at most you'll get 30 extra min. maybe, and that is with super powersaving stuff on.

I went back to the toshiba nvidia software and now my powermizer has no sliders, or power meter showing. What reg entries do I need to remove/modify to make it look nomal.

thanks.

@Lsudlow

You can change the defaults to 2 (balanced performance) or 3 (Max Power Savings) in the lines I gave you, but if you're a gamer you won't want the slower speed.

Can I change these values after driver install? I have found all keys made in Windows Registry after installation (relatives to this case, oviously) and turn it his values to 3, but nothing happen.

Larry or somebody might know how to change those, but otherwise yes you need to re-install.

It probably is possible without re-install, but hard to do, would still have to change things and restart PC blah blah blah.

Bill's right. You can change the values in the registry, but it's probably faster to reinstall since you don't have to uninstall or change your settings.

I asked because I though write a little program for change these keys automatically. Then we could have an unofficial PowerMizer clone.

But if we need restart in each change... don't worth.

Thx!