LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Undervolting a Laptop

mobilenvidia

Nordic Hardware have written an article on how to undervolt your laptop with no performance loss.

Here is a wee snippet:

But a couple of months ago, I found some interesting facts about a whole new subject, undervolting. The expression undervolting is not really correct because it?s the tension were lowering and it?s measured in volts, but we will use this expression in this article.

Because CPUs are mass-produced, the voltage is set to a stable level that will suit all samples of that particular CPU. Everything from CPUs with ?Friday Afternoon Syndrome? to real overclockers. There are lots of CPUs on the market that can be run at a lower voltage than what they are specified to. Especially the kind of low power consuming CPUs found in laptops. You'll be surprised when you see the results of undervolting your CPU.

For the whole article have look here

I wonder if there's any way to get around the fact that I can't set the voltage within the RM Clock utility...

Works, great, now while idle and doing little tasks my computer is running around 50C when before it fluctuated between 45 and 57(when the fan cut in), and while doing CPU intensive tasks, it's down from hitting 80 and making the fan go into overdrive to sitting on about 66, definately worth a try.

I wonder if there's any way to get around the fact that I can't set the voltage within the RM Clock utility...

The author forgot the fact that there exist all kind of different CPU models (which are obviously not compatible with RM utility) or he didn't want to mention...

From a different side of view: As for desktop replacement notebooks i would rather try out CPU-Z and overclock :)

Good article though.

If you got problems with RMClock , You can use CrystalCPUID :)

You can turn powermizer on max battery or heavily underclock it if powermizer doesn't work.

You can turn powermizer on max battery or heavily underclock it if powermizer doesn't work.

The point is to lower battery load without impacting performance.

I've been thinking about this, there is a utility to edit the bios of the graphics card. I used it to increase the voltages of desktop cards.