LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Long discussion from FAQ and Answers thread

Guest Darknight

Guest Darknight

Edit: These posts were split from the FAQ ANSWERS - READ THIS BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS thread as it was getting very off topic.

So offtopic it is hard to tell what thread they originaly came from... :) ---Bill

Ok - I don't think myself dumb by any means but I just don't see ANY .inf file in the location where I extracted the driver. Sinec everyone here seems to be happy with your work it must be something I am missing. Any help?

DK, you need to also download the the modded INF.

Then extract this somewhere or to save time extract in to the directory where you placed the driver.

As long as you replace the original INF with modded one, you shouldn't go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Guest Darknight

thats just the issue - I have the INF from this site but I can't find the inf to replace it with where I extracted the drivers from this site. I also ran a search for *.INF and came up with nothing in the folder where I extracted the drivers. So 1) I have no idea what to name the .inf and 2) don't know which file to replace it with since I see no INF in the folder. I would love for this to work seeing as my ###### OEM (HP) hasn't released a update for the Geforce GoFX5700 since like Jan of 04 and they just don't seem to be working anymore.

If you have say the driver downloaded in C:\downloads

Then you run the xxxx.exe file (xxxx is the driver version) it will extract the files to C:\downloads\xxxx\

In here will be a nvxx.inf or nv4_disp.inf replace either file depending on which is present.

The INF doesn't need extracting I save them as is, so just DL the modded INF to C:\downloads\xxxx\ it will then replace the original.

The thing is to leep an eye on where you extract the driver.

Hope this helps.

Because it is so late, it must be a darknight and you couldn't see the INF :)

It is getting late here as well so I may say Goodnight Darknight :)

• 1 month later...

It's a little confusing that you say the following:

##########################################################

"You can use any driver we host in combination with Pieter's mobile INF, which offers support for all NVIDIA Go cards. Means you also need to download Pieter's mobile INF that goes with the driver. Add it to the folder where you've extracted the driver files and you should be good to go."

When you also say this:

Geforce2go/Quadro2go/Geforce4x0go/Geforce448/488go andQuadro4 500goGL.

These GPUs perform best with DX7 games and the following drivers work best for gaming.

If you don't play games then choose a 6x.xx/7x.xx driver for functionality.

Fastest 44.03

Speed and stability 44.68

Geforce4 4200go/Quadro4 700goGL/Geforce FX go5100-5650.

These GPUs are meant for DX9b, and perform best with the following drivers.

For best DX8.1 performance see above, fastest performance with 5x.xx drivers.

Fastest 53.03

Geforce FX go5700 and Quadro FX go1000.

These GPUs should only be used with 56.54+ drivers.

Speed and Stability 56.64 and 56.72

Geforce FX 6800go and Quadro FX go1400

These GPU's should only be used with 65.91+ drivers.

Speed and stability 67.02

#########################################################

As an owner of a Quadro4 500goGL I am left wondering whether to go with a very modern driver such as 82.10 or stick with an older driver such as 44.68.

Assuming that problems get resolved and the overall trend in software development is positive I have to think that I'd be better off with a more modern driver?

I hope you can shed some light on this for newbies?

Thanks, Hube

A lot of that really isn't true anymore (old info), GF4 gos and Quadro 4s work great with a lot of the 66.xx, 67.xx, 7x, and 8x drivers. (which weren't out yet when some of that was originaly typed)

When I had the GeForce 440 go (GeForce version of the Quadro4 500 GoGL that dell shipped with the M50) it worked great with the 77.72 driver, and many of the 66, 67, and some other 7x drivers.

It broke (not driver related) and I got the Quadro4 700 GoGL, flashed my laptop to an M50, and have so far used the 77.77 and the 82.10 drivers on this card.

Both are actually very fast drivers, and so far have been stable and run every game well. (I don't have a ton of games, but what I have works, even with a performance tweaked INF with Side Band Addressing enabled.)

(so far I have tried on this driver: UT2004, Half Life 2, Doom3, FEAR Demo, emulators, and other games I can't remember. I will try Halo, Far Cry Demo probably, that Splinter Cell demo(s) again, and maybe some other games or demos that I get my hands on)

Now there is no denying that you probably will get the best 3dmark 2001SE score with the 4x.xx series drivers, but I see very little difference in running a game like UT2003/2004 wheather or not I am running Dell's 27, 42, or a the current 82.10 that I am on.

If the 82.10 driver works fine for you, which it should, then stick with it, you will probably have a hard time finding a driver that is much noticeably faster in games, and newer drivers have more features and support for newer games.

The only thing you need to worry about really is wheather TV out (mainly fullscreen video playback) works or not on a given driver, and if you don't use that then you shouldn't care then should you. (For me it works with the 82.10 driver, so it should work for you)

For you I would recomend using the 82.10 driver with Dell's INF, and if you like it I can mod the INF to enable all the settings, which I will probably do anyway, or I'll get John to do it. :) (the driver is very good)

Go here and bug me and John about it and we will make a Dell INF for the 82.10 driver with all the options and tweaks, but make it compatible with all the Dell cards. (the modded INF currently only supports the Quadro4 700 GoGL)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6972

I have seen a need for this INF so I will probably do it this weekend. (been busy)

Thanks Bill for the response. My main goal for posting was to try and clarify these types of questions for others that follow in our footsteps.

I do have some other questions realting to the M50 but plan to start a new thread for that.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated and I look forward to the modified inf when you have a chance :)

Hube

Guest Mark Dyson

So, I have an HP zd7280 running a Go 5700 vidcard. You're saying I should be able to use the 82.10 driver okay? I'm way more interested in display quality/clarity than framerates, for the games I do play fps numbers don't matter. Since my system is HP and not Dell, is there a different driver that would be better to try?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

I'm not sure if a similar question to yours if covered in this FAQ topic, but its very relevent so maybe it shouldn't be moved.

The Dell 82.10 driver should run just fine on your computer with Pieter's regular mod INF, that is what it is there for.

I have used other OEM drivers on my laptop with Pieter's INF and they all worked.

To sum it up for everyone else, for Nvidia graphics cards from the GeForce and onward:

Any OEM (manufacturer, like Dell, Toshiba, ect) driver should run on any other brand laptop or desktop with Pieter's INF, this is not true in all cases, as certain laptops and cards have special needs for the driver or INF, and newer cards will probably not work correctly on really old drivers.

• 1 month later...

sirs/madams,

i am running a toshiba m60 with a 6600go.

running benchmarks in q4 with the 8.1.9.5 drivers and the modded inf showed improvement of a couple fps over the drivers that toshiba offers. however, reading the above, i am curious as to whether you all would feel i have passed the optimal driver set for my videocard, or if i should continue updating versions.

cheers,

-z

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry dude, sometimes things get missed here, it's really a few key posters that do most of the work here and most of us have other obligations outside this website.

I'm running a go6600 myself on a Toshiba, my favourite driver is 81.98, with inf v32.10 or greater (basically just grab the modded inf out of the 81.98 thread). Running the standard modded inf, you should get a slight performance boost (maybe noticeable, maybe not) but image quality should pick up a little too.

While me and Matt can only tell you what we read (vs other mods) I can tell you I did read this and I do get email notification on just about everything on this forum, practicaly every time you post something I will get an email about it, assuming its working correctly.

Now most of us mods have lives believe it or not.

I have school to go to and if you want to come down here and do my homework for me so I have more time to post here be my guest.

mattman: kudos, i really appreciated your post!

bill: keep up with the homework, because you aren't going anywhere on personality.

cheers,

(you better delete this before someone else reads it, haha)

Lol, should I say, "IP address logged"

Just kidding.

Now that I fail... I mean passed that AP Chemistry test today and its a 3 day weekend I am back to being nice, atleast unless my parents keep bugging me about everything.

Edit: W00T 1500th post!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm running a Geforce FX Go5600 on a Toshiba, which driver is best for me? I really need another driver 'cause...

I installed the the latest driver from the Nvidia site but now i'm getting an error everytime when a game is launching it's engine. My screen turns blue en it says there is a problem with my graphics driver.

Greets

Oh here is the mysterious admin from good old times. I wonder if he'll be back to manage things himself instead of asking :)

I have split the topic after the last major Q and A post from you ®®® and moved it here to support.

I hope you approve Rene. :) (or should I call you ghost as there is a suspicion/rumor your dead)

Anyway on with the OT discussion! :)