LaptopVideo2Go Forums

M50/C840/8200 guys..

jlangton

How many versions of the Dell UltraSharp screens were there? Was there only one manufacturer,or were multiple manufacturers used for the good UltraSharp display? My machine has the Sharp brand display,and it's the most crisp,clean LCD display I've ever seen. My wife's C840 has one step below the UltraSharp display,and it's OK,but not as good for viewing at any kind of an angle. I'm possibly looking to upgrade the display in hers and was curious as to how to determine what displays are out there before spending the money on a replacement.

JL

UltraSharp is the way to go, hopefully youll get the sharp ultrasharp screen.

If you get a samsung you will probably have a screen problem, but most likely that can be fixed with simple EDID fix.

If not you can send it back for a different screen hopefully.

If our EDID fixes for the ultrasharps here dont work then if you provide us with the proper info we can possibly make you one.

Many people have had isssues with the SEC3255 or whatever screen, but it got fixed a while back.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6686

This stuff is now included in enhancer so you can easily get your INFs with it already in there.

But with some luck you'll get the Sharp version of the screen.

I have heard obviously of the Sharp and Samsung screens, but have not heard of any other brands in these, atleast as far as ultrasharps go.

I have heard of multiple versions of the sharp and samsung screens though.

Sharp, LG/Philips and Samsung make the UXGA screens for those lappies.

Sharp is by far the best.

Sharp, LG/Philips and Samsung make the UXGA screens for those lappies.

Sharp is by far the best.

I agree..The display on this machine is better than the majority of commericially available desktop LCD's I've seen. I'll keep my eyes open-I've already managed to round up a Quadro 700 card,8x DVD/24x CD-RW combo drive,Dell 1370 wireless b/g card and a 2.0Ghz cpu...still looking for a reasonably priced 2.4,2.5,or 2.6 CPU,and a 7200 rpm disk.

Thanks guys.

JL

I just bought a Pioneer slot load DVD burner on mine, you should have gotten a DVD burner from newegg or something.

Also my netgate Atheros chipset WiFi card is pretty nice that I bought myself for xmas. (108 mbps)

For the Quadro card, uninstall whatever old card you have first, then when you install the new card, go get John's INF for it. It should work very well. (with 82.10 or 82.12 drivers)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6972

Wait with the Quadro until you have your screen. It won't work with the Samsung screen (only up to 65.90 driver). Maybe we can get this fixed still, but chances are slimm.

Personnally I think the Samsung screen needn't hide behind the Sharp. They have very different color calibration, though. The Samsung has a white point of about 6500K (which is the standard sRGB setting), but it gets way too bluish in the grays. The Sharp has a much warmer tone of white still (about 5000K), and this carries over to the grays.

Out of the Box, the Sharp will give you nice, warm colors, while the Samsung will be very bluish, so that it's almost impossible to watch movies on it (bluish faces). But if you calibrate the screen to 6500K, the Sharp will lose a lot of brightness. The Samsung on the other hand doesn't lose any brightness, since its whitepoint is already at 6500K, and the blue touch will be gone afterwards.

In general, I would be careful comparing any of those displays (including the panels in the new Inspirons) to a desktop LCD. The color gamut and color quality of those lappy displays are usually abysmal, while most current LCDs show very nice color gamuts and neutral greys across the whole brightness range. While that's quite irrelevant for normal work, I suggest you don't judge any of your digital shots on a notebook display unless you get it calibrated!

I just bought a Pioneer slot load DVD burner on mine, you should have gotten a DVD burner from newegg or something.

Also my netgate Atheros chipset WiFi card is pretty nice that I bought myself for xmas. (108 mbps)

For the Quadro card, uninstall whatever old card you have first, then when you install the new card, go get John's INF for it. It should work very well. (with 82.10 or 82.12 drivers)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6972

I got that DVD-CD-RW for $39,and the wireless for $10,so for what I'm doing with it..it was the best deal I could get.

JL