LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Which driver to use for GeForce FX 5600 Go (Sony)?

Guest NeedsHelp

Guest NeedsHelp

Hi, I tried the 83.40 driver but that got me a black desktop a few seconds after logging into windows.

Which driver should I be using for my laptop?

The card is 64mb and I'm running windows xp home sp2.

Currently rolled back on my sony provided driver (06.11.2003)

Click the driver recommend link in my sig and try the 81.98 driver.

I don't know how reliable these new 83 series are, 81.98 is the last official release.

I'll go ahead and search to see if anyone with your laptop has come here and had success with a certain driver/INF.

Edit: Here is the old thread (try the 81.98 drivers in my recommend thread before you try any older ones mentioned here)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6416

Well for starters it is the last official release, most of the 83.xx+ are beta or vista.

If thoe 83.40 drivers are WHQL then they might be good, but especially if you can't get drivers working at all you should start with drivers we know are good.

With vista and the new control panel and everything newer drivers right now are a little screwy till it all gets sorted, some dont have control panels, or they have 2, or only the newer one which still isn't ready for an official permanent public release and replacement for the old school one. (I hear there mostly fixed on newer drivers, but the newer control panel still has bugs)

Oh, and I'll tell Teraphy about your profile problem, heck we'll fix it for you once the new option is there.

Ok, but when We talk about performance, last version are better, truth?

WHQL is when drivers include a .cat file? (since a lot of time I'm asking to me what is this file)

Can you tell me why when I install 83.20, 83.40, 73.00 (official of my laptop) or other with an .inf modded (by Pieter all) I only get two options in PowerMizer battery mode (medium and max.battery duration), and with 83.02 Toshiba with .inf modded by Pieter, I get the three options?

Is very strange because if after install 83.02 and got three options, I return to install 83.20 or 83.40 for example, I continue having three options, but when I install this versions in a clean system I only have two options. I have tried some combinations of drivers and .inf files, but I only got this options using 83.02 with his own .inf file include in this forum...

First, newer driver's don't always have better performance, and infact on older cards newer drivers probably run slower as they usually design them to have faster speed on newer cards, but they kinda ignore older ones in this process.

For example, with GF4 gos even though drivers from 27.xx to 8x+ work on them, some of the newer ones even work quite well, the 4x series (really old 2002-2003 ish) had the absolute best performance in 3Dmark2001 SE, although some newer drivers do run newer games faster (but a lot of times the 4x series did run the games faster, even if its not noticable)

I guess WHQL drivers are the only ones that include that file.

Really it doesn't matter, just because a driver is certified doesnt mean its good, and just because one isn't certified doesn't mean its bad.

Really it boils down to wheather or not Micro$oft thinks the driver is up to par, and really they just want people to pay them fees to have thier drivers tested and certified by them so gates can afford that house he wants on mars or something. (hard to think of something he can't afford)

As for powermizer I don't know, newer drivers since somewhere in the middle 7x stoped working correctly on older cards. (again nvidia optimises it for newer cards only)

Powermizer features are completely gone for me, I see nothing in the page, no sliders or anything.

Only way for me to adjust is to manually edit INF/registry and maybe have to re-install drivers.

Not worth the time, especially since I don't use it anyway.

Really it doesn't have a big effect on battery life, you have to turn lots of power features on to increase battery life by like a whole hour or something.

Go search/read the other threads for powermizer info, they have already included stuff in Teraphy's enhancer and the INF, and atleast 1 activate recent thread has lots of info.

It doesn't work at all for my card and probably won't till the newer control panel or never will work. (I did see a selectable option in there, but was afraid to change as it might lock it on slo mode)

Anyway you won't get much of a powermizer answer from me as I'm not the expert on it.

Edit: As you have already seen this is THE powermizer thread to ask your question in.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8598

Also psk, please keep your questions here or something, you posting all these different topics especially if it is just us 2 talking back and forth is gonna confuse me and give me a headache and make it harder to remember what we discussed and so forth.

(I help a lot of people you know, or atleast try to...)

The more confused you make me, the less help you'll get. Also, the more threads you make, the more I'll probably start merging them, and then things could get messy....

I know you like to stay on topic and post a new thread for a new topic, but some of it is going too far, especially the new powermizer topic you made when there was already one the other mods were watching.

If one good powermizer Q and A thread emerges victorious I can move it to FAQ and change title/sticky and all that stuff.

Depends on what you mean by run better, but it could be faster, and should have much better game compatibility plus lots of newer features including the new control panel should be included to test out.

Only downside is powermizer might not work.

Also, if your not going to log in psk atleast tell me who you are.

*goes off to play more FEAR*

Read this post and the one below it.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....indpost&p=26026

Does the "ModesetBlankDelay" fix the black screen on startup?

Just find that in the INF and remove the ; from the line with the tweak, but it keep it for the line with the instructions.

Also try ®®®'s suggestion of a clean driver install.

@Bill

Edit: As you have already seen this is THE powermizer thread to ask your question in.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8598

Also psk, please keep your questions here or something, you posting all these different topics especially if it is just us 2 talking back and forth is gonna confuse me and give me a headache and make it harder to remember what we discussed and so forth.

(I help a lot of people you know, or atleast try to...)

The more confused you make me, the less help you'll get. Also, the more threads you make, the more I'll probably start merging them, and then things could get messy....

I know you like to stay on topic and post a new thread for a new topic, but some of it is going too far, especially the new powermizer topic you made when there was already one the other mods were watching.

If one good powermizer Q and A thread emerges victorious I can move it to FAQ and change title/sticky and all that stuff.

Ok, sorry Bill. Probably is the yearn of get a valid reply for fix it. I think I will use your recommend driver version (81.98) because it work fine for me and PowerMizer is showed with all his posibility. 83.02 also work fine but following your recomendation, I will use last official version.

@Bill

Also, if your not going to log in psk atleast tell me who you are.

*goes off to play more FEAR*

I don't understand very well why me is mentioned in this sentence...

I don't understand very well why me is mentioned in this sentence...
I said you should log in with those guests posts above, hard to keep track of whos who sometimes, in the 2 above guest posts the only way we can tell they are from the same person is the IP address, which most can't see anyway.

You should either login from now on or say your psk like post as guest_psk so we know your not some random guest.

Then I said it was time for me to go back to playing some games, hehe. :)

Also, you used a different IP address in the guest posts than the logged in ones, like I said it doesn't help us figure out whos who. :)

Currently all of the above guest posts in this topic all have the same IP, and all of PSK's logged in posts have the same IP, although it is different.

If you guys would just tell me who you are when you are not logged in, things would be much less confusing for everybody...

I said you should log in with those guests posts above, hard to keep track of whos who sometimes, in the 2 above guest posts the only way we can tell they are from the same person is the IP address, which most can't see anyway.

You should either login from now on or say your psk like post as guest_psk so we know your not some random guest.

Then I said it was time for me to go back to playing some games, hehe. w00t.gif

Also, you used a different IP address in the guest posts than the logged in ones, like I said it doesn't help us figure out whos who. headscratch.gif

I think you're confused :) . Guest isn't me. Since I keep cookies for this forum, I always logged when I write something, as now. :)

Currently all of the above guest posts in this topic all have the same IP, and all of PSK's logged in posts have the same IP, although it is different.

If you guys would just tell me who you are when you are not logged in, things would be much less confusing for everybody...

You say that all my post have same IP. This is logic, because my connection is active about all day. My IP only change when I turn off my connection.

Also is logic that guest have same IP if guest since probably he is same person in two guest post.

But... why you link to me with guest???? In any case, don't worry, I'm not guest. I only posted one time as guest, and later I edited this post for say that was me.

Best Regards,

PSK

PD: And 81.98 version work very fine for me, :-p

Nice to know now that you have cleared the stuff up.

Anyway I won't worry about it, but yes the guest should better identify himself.

You guys had been forgetting to log in last week, I merged like 15 or so posts in 2 days with ppl forgetting to log in, guess it was starting to get to me.

Anyway I'll stop worrying about it, now I'll wack you over the head for double posting 11 min later when you could have edited. :) :P

Also nice to know the driver works nice for you, guess your case is closed for now then? :)

Edit: Now to the first poster. go find this in Pieter's mod INF file:

;if upon reboot after install you have a black screen remove the ';' from line below and reinstall driver.
;HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay,[tab][/tab][tab][/tab]  %REG_DWORD%,	1

Follow the instructions and remove the ; from the bottem line and then re-install the driver and see if that helps.

I'm starting to hate sony, think this is the 4th case I have seen of this in the past week, why can't they design laptops where the driver works properly the first time?

Guest NeedsHelp

Sorry for the confusion :) I'm just a guest here.

I tried taking off the ; as you suggested but the driver still won't work for me.

Now instead of going black and unresponsive after login, my screen goes black, back on, black, back on and then black and a second later unresponsive black again.

Any ideas which driver I should be using?

I tried another driver from another site a few days ago that worked (it had the GeForce FX 5600Go (Sony) written even compared to the GeForce FX 5600Go in your inf file) but it caused the same unresponsive black screen if i tried changing resolutions (unresponsive black as in slightly less than total black screen but i can't do anything, ctrl+alt+del won't work either, need to hard kill the machine)