LaptopVideo2Go Forums

OC my Notebook's GPU

daygo140

I updated my driver for my nVIDIA Geforce4 440 GO in my hp pavilion zv5405us notebook. I updated it successfully using the 81.98 (http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8422).

I play Call of Duty 2 fine with this and without the new driver but I'd like to squeeze all I can from this vid card. The specifications on the clock speeds for my card are 220 MHz for GPU and 220 MHz for the memory clock (http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4go.html). I know it's pretty much trial and error trying to find the sweet spot.

Using the OC function within nVIDIA's new driver I used I have it set to 240 and 240 as of now without any issues. Being that this is a laptop, what should I be aware of? Also are there any pointers you guys can throw at me?

I thought the mem was much higher, my GF 440 was set at 400+ mem I think. :)

(Do NOT go turning it up that high just because I said that)

I probably just remember the numbers wrong though, never did OC that thing.

I would recommend that you turn it up small increments at a time and then benchmark/test.

You should also try the performance INF for that driver.

LV2GO.com/infs/80series/8198inf/perf/nv4_disp.inf (can also be found in the 81.98 topic)

When your OCing and you start to see artifacts in the game you have gone too far, so turn it down some.

Just remember, if you brake it, its your fault. :)

You should also try the performance INF for that driver.

LV2GO.com/infs/80series/8198inf/perf/nv4_disp.inf (can also be found in the 81.98 topic)

To do this just replace the INF driver I used to install 81.98 originally with the one found above?

Just remember, if you brake it, its your fault. :)

How do I avoid "breaking it"??

Just use that INF instead of the standard one (just re-install using that one), you should also look for a way to see the temperature of the GPU maybe.

Could google for the speedfan program possibly. (I use a custom Dell fan program, so I am not on expert on those other ones. :) )

But like I said increase slowly then back down if you see glitches.

Also, don't worry about the screen info in your profile, if your screen works without any special modification to Pieter's mod INF you should be good to go till that laptop dies.

Just use that INF instead of the standard one (just re-install using that one), you should also look for a way to see the temperature of the GPU maybe.

Could google for the speedfan program possibly. (I use a custom Dell fan program, so I am not on expert on those other ones. :) )

But like I said increase slowly then back down if you see glitches.

Also, don't worry about the screen info in your profile, if your screen works without any special modification to Pieter's mod INF you should be good to go till that laptop dies.

I may need a mod to the INF file. Everything looks fine with the NEW recommended INF from above but when I start up COD2 the lettering is "broken up" some of the lines in some of the letters are missing which makes it hard to read.

Should I go back to the original 81.98 INF?