LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS M170 - Go 7800 GTX - Sound and Video problems

yello

Hello everyone!

I have recently bought a Dell XPS M170, 2Gig Ram, 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce? Go 7800 GTX.

Whenever I tried to play games (I tried COD2 and AOE3) and scroll pages on a web browser there was a very weird little buzzeling sound (it is not coming from the speakers).

Also, when playing games, each time there is a "new" sound (like a voice from a caracter or whatever new sound) it freezes the frame for about 2 second making all games unplayable.

So I got pissed and ask a friend how has a similar setup (same video card, proccessor and ram).

He told me to install the latest driver from here (laptopvideo2go.com).

After following the instructions correctly, I uninstalled the Dell driver and got the 83.40 found under the driver section of the main page.

*Yay* it fixed the sound problem however the frame rate of my games are now very bad even if I set low settings like 800x600 noAA. My friend is able to put all max settings and get a great framerate(no lag at all!).

So I tried to install a lower version driver I think it was 81.95 or something ( I red on this forum that it was good for my laptop... )

No luck.

The original problems are back. The weird sound and the freezing frame in games.

I then called Dell technical support and they never heard of those problems even tho I seen few post on dell forums regarding similar problems.

I would really like if any of you pro's could help me solve all thoses bugs/problems, else I think my XPS would make a great freesbe.

sorry for the poor english btw!

I just tried the 83.40 again, the the sound and video problems are still there...

I'm despered, nothing is working correctly!!!!

*sigh*

/me takes out a gun....

Maybe you should try updating sound card drivers as well. Also why don't you try a clean install of Windows?

I have exactly the same setup as you, Update ur sound drivers from Dell.com in the support > drivers and downloads section, then for best performance i found is the 81.97's which are found HERE

Hope this helps!

Maybe you should try updating sound card drivers as well. Also why don't you try a clean install of Windows?

I already had the latest driver for my sound card, I reinstall it anyway and it did work, I did 3 clean install of windows xp already :)

I have exactly the same setup as you, Update ur sound drivers from Dell.com in the support > drivers and downloads section, then for best performance i found is the 81.97's which are found HERE

Hope this helps!

I installed the 81.97 same problem... the weird sound + video problem, the framerate is great until it fucks up for 2seconds a frame.

:)

I received a 7200rpm replacement drive today (the original was 5400rpm).

I'm currently windows xp corp. sp2 on it, i'll let you guys know what happen.

Well considering your a XPS Member like me just phone up ur ON HAND support tech and ask em whats up. Your in safe hands with them. IMHO its a hardware issue. Tho i think at sumpoint my XPS has hissed at me! :)

Hello everyone!

Whenever I tried to play games (I tried COD2 and AOE3) and scroll pages on a web browser there was a very weird little buzzeling sound (it is not coming from the speakers).

This doesn't address actual audio problems, just that buzzing..

Most XPS Gen2's and M170's make a VERY QUIET buzzing noise when pulling a lot of power. It's part of the power filtering and regulation circuitry in the laptop itself. This usually only happens in the sub 25fps range for some reason. I know, you think I'm crazy, but try it out.. The sound originates from the area of the laptop where the power adapter connects as well. Try setting your PowerMizer settings to Balanced or anything below max performance. See if the sound goes away. It does for me. Of course, nobody would leave such a laptop crippled like that....

Solution? Well, you could swap XPS's until you are blue in the face or you could set your PowerMizer settings to run the video card on Balanced.. Neither are fun solutions..

:)

I think I have been getting that too, explains the buzzing sound after all these years... :)

I have an Inspiron 9400 with a 7800 GO and have the same problem with sound in games freezing the frames for 1-2 secs. Its really frustrating since i dont know what to do to solve it either. I have tried almost anything i can think of. Formatted computer 4 times, updated all drivers and more.

Did you find a solution to the problem?

Do your games run fine with sound disabled?

You might have to wait for Dell to fix sound drivers if that is the case, your laptop has a Duo core CPU right?

Microsoft could have screwed that up too, I hear your laptop already loses battery life when you use a self powered USB2 drive (battery life should be about 10-15 min at most less, not 1.5 hours), what other bugs have microsoft cooked up lately?

I used to have sound problems but Dell did fix them in their drivers.

Microsoft should also have some sound drivers for your chipset, but then they might be the ones causing problems.

Try disabling your soundcard, maybe even from device manager, then see if it lags and get back to me, then I'll do some searching.

Your laptop just came out so I probably won't find much info on it.

Is your BIOS up to date?

the buzzing might be from the pour heat conductor on the video card and the heat sink take the metal aluminium out from beatwene the to parts and put some thermal compound only if the buzzing is more like a sshhhhhhh type sound all related to heat I have seen it hapen on OC videocard it's juste the heat trensfer that is not getting done properly.

i also am noticing the same problem. i did a wipe/reinstall of winxp pro 2 times. first one corrupted for some reason. anyway i notice that sometimes when i am scrolling in ie there is a clicking sound coming from the computer. i have not tried it with headphones on to see if i can hear it or not but i am using a logitech mx1000 mouse and using the wheel to scroll with. this is a wireless mouse and it could be interfering with some circuitry or something. i don't know what to think. also when playing bfme2 demo i noticed that the game stops for a frame or 2 after scrolling across the map. not sure about that either. i'm using the latest dell drivers from their website. for as much money as i paid for this thing it sure does have a lot of small stuff wrong with it. shoulda dropped a couple more bills and bought a falcon nw :) well... alot more bills.... ok so it's the best i could get for the money i paid.... hmm sager... anyway i diverge

Hey Bill.

I am pretty sure it is a harddisk issue. I have read some topics about people with identical problems, and it seems that many solve the issue by downloading a program called notebook hardware control, and set the harddisk performance to maximum. My problem though is that my laptop crashes when i try to run this program.

I may have found another way to solve the issue for now though. If i start a download. It seems i dont get any lag as long as the download is going on. That points to the problem has to do with the harddisk too. Its probably not spinning down or something while something is getting downloaded. This fix isnt a very good solution as a permanent fix though, especially not on a brand new computer that was inteded for games. So any help would still be appreciated.

Here are a few topics about similar problems :

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.p...hlight=sigmatel

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.p...ghlight=stutter

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.p...hlight=sigmatel

the buzzing might be from the pour heat conductor on the video card and the heat sink take the metal aluminium out from beatwene the to parts and put some thermal compound only if the buzzing is more like a sshhhhhhh type sound all related to heat I have seen it hapen on OC videocard it's juste the heat trensfer that is not getting done properly.

If you hear the scrolling on the speakers from the wireless mouse it's due to the speakers picking up the radio frequency of the mouse. If you used a wired mouse -- why do you need a wireless mouse for your laptop anyways? -- it should solve the problem.

Later,

Alex