LaptopVideo2Go Forums

WORLD'S FIRST 160GB NOTEBOOK PC HARD DRIVES

mobilenvidia

Seagate are working Perpendicular Recording technology.

Here is how it works:

Perpendicular recording stands data bits on end on the disc, rather than flat to the surface as with existing longitudinal recording, to deliver new levels of hard drive data density and capacity. The new data orientation also increases drive performance without increasing spin speed by allowing more bits to pass under the drive head in the same amount of time. The perpendicular recording performance boost comes without increases in power consumption or heat generation - crucial as remote users look to work longer between battery charges and system builders seek to pack more performance in smaller notebooks. Perpendicular recording also improves drive reliability by enhancing data resistance to thermal decay.

For the whole news article look here

Another first, Seagate have also incuded Hardware encryption in the HD.

For a full look at this look here

I wonder how long it be before this drive becomes reality, it took absolute ages for the 7200RPM drives to become available after being announced.

I may have to eat my words, here is already a price in NZ$ for it

It should be out soon.

Available here too right NOW. (could get it like Tuesday or Wednesday if I ordered monday)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822148073

Need to trade something valuable in for that one.

Seagate also has a 100GB 7200 RPM drive, but it is much more expensive than Hitachi's 100GB drive, which is now less than $200. :)

Note, didn't say I was actually buying that think (unless I stumble across lots of free money)

Lovely animation there Rene! lol

But 350$ is a bit high for me now :)

Back to 80gb 4200 ...

That is probably one of the best wee animations I've come accross.

I even watched the whole thing, not like me at all.

So Hitachi reckon 10x the amount of Data on a disk, 1TB drives should become a reality.

Get Perpendicular :)