LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DUMB! Blonde Desperately Needs Help w NVidia Driver Update

parkwest

My nephew plays Toontown and my computer is having serious issues with the NVidia GEFORCE FX Go 5200 installed in my Toshiba P25-s487. I keep sending the tech people some dxdiag report I am attaching adn they keep telling me to update the driver but I honestly tried gentlemen and simply am incapable of doing this without further assistance. Obviously I am confused about doing this .inf thing (lol) or something as I cannot get this to work-

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE WALK ME THRU the specifics for this machine and this intensively hard on a video card game Hunter plays as this 7 year old is not taking this well. Thanks IN ADVANCE and any immediate help would be graciously appreciated

DxDiag.txt

Download this driver and extract it into an empty folder. Then download this inf and copy it into the same folder, overwriting the inf that came with the driver.

Then follow the instructions here.

That should work with almost all games that run on your Go5200 video card. Unfortuntately it's not a very good card for games and many recent games just won't work with it. If you still have trouble after installing this driver, let us know what error messages you get and maybe we can figure out what to do.

Good luck!

you rock!! doing it now...ok I did not unistall the previous one but did the update driver after copying that inf into the unzipped file 72.14. I selected that file for update driver and it comes back saying, windows cannot find a better match for current?????? I paid 1899 for this laptop this is ridiculous and i just got it back Friday-brand new harddrive yet they loaded MCE as it says in System Properties but the dxdiag still sez Prof edition- does any of that matter??

Dear ME !!! lol HELP!!!!!!!

Don't let it choose the driver automatically. Choose the "Install from a list" option, then select "Don't search. I will select a driver to install." Click the "Have Disk" button and browse for the folder where the new driver files and the modified inf are located. It should install fine.

Since you have MCE, there is an additional folder included with that driver. (It should have extracted with the driver files.) Inside is an additional Setup program you need to run.

Let us know if you have any trouble with it. Good luck!

:) :) WOO HOO!! You guys are GREAT!! I DID IT!!!! WOO-Hoo!!!

Computer worked perfectly with no blue screens NADA after several hours of straight play. Aunt Kymber is a bit addicted to Toontown as well so I put it to the test!! EXCELLENT!

I thought I did what you said the 1st time but apparently not as it worked like a charm the second time-installed without a hitch. I am truly truly APPALLED these Computer Manufactures do not have to supply end users with updated laptop drives -escpecially when the machine cost $1899 and was basically useless for the intended purpose of playing games for my nephew. I am affiliated with a local news broadcast and am in the process of supplying this information and your part in FINALLY resolving a 6 month problem which 3 trips to the repair center TOSHIBA recommeded one to boot- could not. You are AWESOME and deserve to be commended for supplying this service !! Now can you help me with the other 2 computer (lol)- I have to go get the specifics for you and will repost them- one is a Toshiba S103-1115 which is old and only has 16mb of video memeory I know that its and ATI Mobility Radeon M6 something and the other is my computer a Toshiba P35-S2692 I think it also has ATI mobility Radeon but this one is a 9700 with 64 mg -currently the computer is at Toshiba for new hard drive and fan under warranty- I get it back tomorrow and I'll pick up Hunter's little home laptop the S1115 and bring them here to update the drivers- his cannot run tt anymore with out getting the blue screen after 1/2 hr of play so he will be excited to be able to play at home again if it can be updated!! I'll be back tomorrow - THANKS SO SO SO SO MUCH AGAIN!

For ATI drivers this tool should be your answer.

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

It mods ATI drivers to work on laptops, you'll need the drivers here.

http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html (look for WinXP Radeon desktop drivers)

The older card might just have to use older drivers if it is not supported or you are not running windows XP on it.

Anyway we'll worry about that when you get there.

You should be able to download the ATI desktop drivers, run those till they say they won't work, then run the mod tool and it should be simple.

Even local TV spots for this site are welcome, we need all the publicity we can get. (after all manufacturers aren't much help usually)

• 1 month later...

Well Bill, until just now I could not access that driverheaven link correctly- it took me to forums or something so I didn't get what you were directing me to do until I'd done the deed somehow......

To insure this child's computer will not blow up lol or something because auntie incorrectly installed something somehow I was hoping you'd take a look at the dxdiag files from before and after.

I made no hardware changes whatsoever to this very old laptop, I am just trying to insure Hunter can play this lovely game on the computer that he has played on for quite some time- The dreade blue screen has occurred for 2 months so he had the 487- this one played perfectly albeit a little laggier for a day or so now.

Can you ascertain by these dx files if I need to change something or leave it alone lol. I'd hat to give it to him Friday and it go kaput again... Thanks Again for your help - you and the referred site- ROCK!!

For ATI drivers this tool should be your answer.

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

It mods ATI drivers to work on laptops, you'll need the drivers here.

http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html (look for WinXP Radeon desktop drivers)

The older card might just have to use older drivers if it is not supported or you are not running windows XP on it.

Anyway we'll worry about that when you get there.

You should be able to download the ATI desktop drivers, run those till they say they won't work, then run the mod tool and it should be simple.

Even local TV spots for this site are welcome, we need all the publicity we can get. (after all manufacturers aren't much help usually)

DxDiag.txt

DxDiag2.txt

This is what I like to see.

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
 DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
[tab][/tab] Display Tab 1: No problems found. 
[tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab]  Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful. 
[tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab]  Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful. 
[tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab]  Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.
[tab][/tab]   Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
[tab][/tab][tab][/tab]Music Tab: No problems found.
[tab][/tab][tab][/tab]Input Tab: No problems found.
[tab][/tab]   Network Tab: No problems found.

However, on your newer one it has a DIFFERENT ATI card listed, the 200 PCI express DX9 card, which has to be wrong, also have different drivers on there.

Is that after you installed the modded drivers using that tool? If so it should work, you could try running the game on it first.

If you haven't tried the tool yet you should uninstall the graphics card drivers then install the latast catalyst with the mod tool.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswe...?questionID=640

The Catalyst Control Center Package should be what you need

I think you are the first one to post both complete before and after DXdiag files. :)

For a dumb blond you might be one of the smarter ones to have come across here. :)

Edit: Here is a direct link to the mod tool, the driver heaven page explains how to use it.

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/files/DHmodtool3.exe