LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba Satellite 5005-S507 Driver Install Issues

jdwest

First, here's the requested system information. I also have the rest of the information on my system listed in my user profile.

Laptop Make/Model: Toshiba Satellite 5005-S507

Graphics Card -- device id if known: Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go 32mb -- 0174

Current Driver Version: 28.46 (only drivers that work)

Last Useable Driver Version: 28.46 (only drivers that work)

Operating System: Windows XP Home SP2

An accurate description of the issue at hand:

I recently had the original 40gb 4200 RPM hard drive die in my laptop, so I went and purchased a Seagate 60gb 5400 RPM and now the system is working again. I used the provided Toshiba reinstall dics to resetup the system, and the install went fine. I then proceeded to get all of the Windows Updates, SP2, etc. as well as all the driver/software updates off of Toshiba's website. All hardware now appears to be functioning properly. The only additional things running on my system outside of what originally came with the laptop now is a D-Link DWL-G650 wireless cardbus card and a Microsoft Optical USB Mouse. I've toyed around with adding another 512mb of RAM to bring it up to 1 GB but if I can't resolve these video problems I'll just buy a new laptop instead.

Anyway, the real problem occurs when I try to update the default drivers. I've followed the instructions on this site, downloaded various drivers (81.95 & 83.60), setup INF's for each, and then gone through the update process. Everything appears to be working fine but shortly after I click the "Continue Anyway" box when it actually is loading the new drivers the screen will go black with a blinking cursor in the top left hand corner of the screen and then stop responding. The hard drive light will continue to blink randomly so the system is not completely dead. Once I try to go back to the original 28.46 drivers it does the exact same thing (going to the black screen and then not responding). I originally was able to install the most recent OmegaDrivers from omegadrivers.net, I believe they're version 67.17 or something, and they installed but after restarting I continually got messages about how they were no longer compatible with my operating system version. After each of these install attempts that go to the black screen I will reboot the PC and the drivers will not be loaded and it goes back to whatever previous version was installed. Also, after each of these failed attempts I'm using a driver cleaner program to remove all traces of the old driver so to not adversely affect future installation attempts. It it important to note that I do not recall ever having this problem prior to the failure of the old hard drive and installation of the new one, so one of my thoughts was a possible power issue but then I would think that even the 28.46 drivers wouldn't work.

I'm about to give up and just use this laptop as a web browser/document writer only, but am hoping that you folks might get me to the point where I can do some gaming off this thing once again. Thanks ahead of time.

Josh

EDIT: I may have found the solution: Instead of using the "Quality" option in the nHance inf creation tool I went back to "Default" and the drivers installed successfully and the black screen never appeared. Upon reboot after installation, though, I'm restricted to 800x600x4bit color. What would cause this to happen or what does the Quality inf do different? Thanks ahead of time.

Ok, I think I resolved the issue. I was able to get the latest 83.60 drivers installed by not changing anything on the "Enhancer" page outside of setting the driver version and enabling coolbits (previously I was also setting the Toshiba resolution fix). Upon reboot the driver works as intended and everything else appears to be fine. Hopefully my experience will help other users who've run into similar problems.

• 1 year later...
Ok, I think I resolved the issue. I was able to get the latest 83.60 drivers installed by not changing anything on the "Enhancer" page outside of setting the driver version and enabling coolbits (previously I was also setting the Toshiba resolution fix). Upon reboot the driver works as intended and everything else appears to be fine. Hopefully my experience will help other users who've run into similar problems.

Does this work to get external video-out aswell? I have the same laptop, I got the stock drivers to work, but video-out gives me nothing, and I'm rather tired of searching...