LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Strange tape over GPU

tanuzz

Hi , I'm newbie to thermal materials...

I got an Asus L5Gm with a geforce fx 5650go. When I play with 3d games the temp of gpu get 90-92° C.

I opened my lappy looking for the gfx card and I found what you can see on the pics I've submitted...

What is the strange "tape" that covers the GPU an memories?

There's a method to decrease the temp of gpu? (eg. changing the tape in the pics?).

Is normal that the gpu isn't cooled with an heat pipe ?

Thanx.

post-545-1139862719_thumb.jpg

post-545-1139862734_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

yes, this is rather normal to not have a heat pipe

normally, the only thing that gets such special heat dissapation methods is the processor, the largest heat generating part of the laptop

normally the heat produced by the video card is not so much that it requires any special heat dissapation method, but if yours is getting so hot (and i dont know quite why it should) you might try putting a little thermal grease on your gpu and affixing a small generic heatsink if it will fit in the case

that will draw some of the heat off of the vital processing parts

but as for the tape, i have not ever seen this cooling method used and i do not see how it would dissapate any heat, probably just to protect the gpu or something

padding maby?

anyway, i hope i helped

usually there is a way to cool these things off

you just have to be creative

normally the heat produced by the video card is not so much that it requires any special heat dissapation ...

Are you on coke or something?

Seriously, those are thermal pads, comparable to artic silver but solid and flexible in order to absorb small mechanical margins.

Thank you for your suggestions. However theres'nt any room to place an heat pipe over the gpu. The aluminium case fits perfectly over the thermal pad and over the aluminum case there is the keyboard...

I think it's normal, because the limit tmp of the gpu (as I can read on nvidia control panel) is set to 134° Celsius...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

These are thermal pads, comparable to artic silver but solid and flexible as ice-tea said. They are thicker than plain Arctic silver so they can contact the aliminium plate (the one under the keyboard, this plate is actually a heat sink. The heat goes from the GPU through the pads to the aliminium and then desipates to the air throy under the keyboard... Plain and simple..

• 2 weeks later...

If you take those pads off you will need to do some creative cooling modifications which involve cutting metal pieces and sticking them inbetween.

Anyway the simplest solution is to leave them there unless you are really creative with making heatsinks or heat bridges as is needed in this case. (keyboard metal shield is the heatsink)