LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How to get TVS HD to work

sn0wl

A newer version of TVS is out; 1.02.00 however it didn't work on my Satellite 5200 since it needs a HD capable sound card. Download

Here is a way to install the TVS HD 1.02.XX when you have HD capable soundcard but installation says you can't install it on your machine by Hazart:

As v1.02.00, it doesn't work on my Satellite 2410.

I have tried modding TvsSupport.ini to make the installation possible, but after the required reboot, no TVS icon was shown in the task bar notification area.

To modify TvsSupport.ini,

-Start TVS installation,

-navigate to %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\{8b12ba86-adac-4ba6-b441-ffc591087252},

-open TvsSupport.ini using a text editor,

-the header comments in the ini tell you a lot about the parameters,

-scroll down and you can find many sections of presets for various Toshiba models,

-try modifying the 'Generic' section,

-save your modification,

-continue the pending installation,

-reboot and see what happens.

Hope this is useful. It will be great if someone could make it work for generic Toshiba models because this new version looks like a big upgrade from the TVS 1.00.xx series.

Here is a way to install the TVS HD 1.03.XX when you have HD capable soundcard but installation says you can't install it on your machine by Alcahest:
I have Qosmio E10, it is not supported if you don't trick the installer.

What to do to trick: Begin to install, but don't press NEXT.

Go in c:\documents & settings\USERNAME\LocalSettings\temp

(where USERNAME is your login name)

here you will find a folder containing a file called TvsSupport.ini.

You need to edit it before you can continue installation.

Open it with notepad and locate an entry beginning by PQXXX

where XXX represent the beginning of a Toshiba notebook serial number.

For exemple, PQG30 is for Qosmio G30, PQM50 is for toshiba M50, etc..

So replace with your value. (for me, I replace PQG20 by PQE10)

Then you will see a line:

ServiceName1 = sthda

sthda is the name of the sound driver. You need to leave sthda is you use a Sigmatel sound driver.

If you use Analog Device (SoundMax) driver, then you need to put "aeaudio" (without quotes)

I don't know for other sound driver, sorry :/

That's it! Another tip, do not use the PQF20 entry to replace with your values because ServiceName3 will not work, it needs to be ServiceName1.

So now, save the TvsSupport.ini in the temp folder, and continue the installation. It should install now! Then reboot and enjoy the very latest version of TVS and Circle Surround and other enhancements!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sn0wl

• ®®®

• hazart

• Alcahest

Top Posters In This Topic

A newer version of TVS is out; 1.02.00 however it didn't work on my Satellite 5200. Download

Em, it says my laptop model is not supported. :)

• 1 month later...

TVS 1.02.01 is out however I don't have my laptop to try. DOWNLOAD

Thanks sn0wl. Will try it out.

Laptop is back since a few days. Still had no time to play around with it (dammit!)

No more warranty anymore (3 years over :) ). Have them replaced the dreaded DVD Burner again (hopefully it will burn more than 7 DVDs, but that probably just a wish from me, need defenitely an upgrade here), LCD hinge was also replaced (was a bit loosened), and let them clean the fans :)

®®®

I hope you will be 'logged in' soon. Anyway unfortunately right after my warranty is over my fan broken down and just after that my LCD :) I agreed to pay for the replacement because I love that LCD. I hope it will be ready soon and will not break down again.

TVS 1.02.01 is out however I don't have my laptop to try. DOWNLOAD

As v1.02.00, it doesn't work on my Satellite 2410. :)

I have tried modding TvsSupport.ini to make the installation possible, but after the required reboot, no TVS icon was shown in the task bar notification area.

1. Start TVS installation,
  2. navigate to %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\{8b12ba86-adac-4ba6-b441-ffc591087252},
  3. open TvsSupport.ini using a text editor,
  4. the header comments in the ini tell you a lot about the parameters,
  5. scroll down and you can find many sections of presets for various Toshiba models,
  6. try modifying the 'Generic' section,
  7. save your modification,
  8. continue the pending installation,
  9. reboot and see what happens.

Hope this is useful. It will be great if someone could make it work for generic Toshiba models because this new version looks like a big upgrade from the TVS 1.00.xx series.

:)

Good finding Hazart - you say you installed but without icon - does it work anyway? I will try when I got my laptop back.

Good finding Hazart - you say you installed but without icon - does it work anyway? I will try when I got my laptop back.

After reboot, I could see the TvsTray.exe process in Task Manager and the sound came out of the speakers seemed to have been processed by TVS. But since there was no TVS icon in the task bar notification area, I couldn't be sure if it was really working. But at least, I was certain that the program wasn't working properly. :)

Give it a try, buddy.

Could it be a PATH problem? Hazart, you have chinese XP, right?

Remember i had to modify the PATHES in the registry for TVS (english default was "Program Files" ... changed it to german "Programme" in my installation). Also affected were the ShortCut links in the StartMenu.

Try navigating to HKLM\Software\MS\Windows\CV\Run and see what PATH is written there.

®®®

Could it be a PATH problem? Hazart, you have chinese XP, right?

Remember i had to modify the PATHES in the registry for TVS (english default was "Program Files" ... changed it to german "Programme" in my installation). Also affected were the ShortCut links in the StartMenu.

Try navigating to HKLM\Software\MS\Windows\CV\Run and see what PATH is written there.

®®®

Thanks, ®®®. :)

The trouble was that TVS was installed in the right directory (Program Files), shortcuts were placed in the right place, and the TvsTray.exe was running (according to Task Manager) - things seemed fine, but the TVS control applet didn't show up anywhere.

BTW, in Chinese Windows systems, the path names are the same as the English ones, so... Every TVS installation I have downloaded were multilingual versions (everything TVS is in Chinese here); doesn't it include German support?

As v1.02.00, it doesn't work on my Satellite 2410. :)

1. Start TVS installation,
  2. navigate to %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp\{8b12ba86-adac-4ba6-b441-ffc591087252},
  3. open TvsSupport.ini using a text editor,
  4. the header comments in the ini tell you a lot about the parameters,
  5. scroll down and you can find many sections of presets for various Toshiba models,
  6. try modifying the 'Generic' section,
  7. save your modification,
  8. continue the pending installation,
  9. reboot and see what happens.

I tried.... Mine is a Tecra S2.

The result:

In foobar2000, I must choose direct sound as the playback device in order to hear anything. All other choices will result in incoherent, hi-pitched, choppy sounds

In dxdiag, the DirectSound test also shows same symptom. For music, only Microsoft synthesizer works.

Nothing comes out if I test with Realtek AC 97.

Question, do you guys have access to the "Option" setting at the bottom of this picture?

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....ype=post&id=798

For some reason, there's no such button on my TVS.

If you do have access to it, what settings are in there?

Later,

Alcahest

Wow a very old registered user.

Anyway, which version of TVS are you using and on which model? I do have the option and I think many other users have it as well. I think it has some strict model-specific settings in newer versions but not sure if that is the case in older ones.

I'm using TVS on Qomsio E10, TVS version is the latest as seen at the beginning of this topic.

Can you please report the exact settings available in this "Option" window, or take a printscreen?

Thanks,

Alcahest

Yes, I cannot provide you screenshots right now but hopefully some others can, I can tell what is in there. It has options that let you choose SRS Wow XT, TruSurround or Automatic detection (I can be wrong with names) for output effect type (I always prefered TruSurround).

Can you please try the newest version link couple of posts above and tell us if it works for you? I think it had support for Qosmio series.

Btw Rene can you update the link in the first post? It is missing.

The newest, latest version linked from the toshiba USA site doesn't work on my QosmioE10, it just refuses to install.

"Toshiba Sound effects don't work on your machine"

I've tried pretty much every version now; except the latest, all work OK, but i just don't have an "Option" button.

Weird.

Later,

Alcahest

EDIT!!

Yaye!

I managed to make the latest version to work.

I followed hazart advice and edited the ini file.

I changed [PQG20] to [PQE10] since I have a E10 and not G20.

This is the only thing i edited!

It installed just fine and upon reboot I have now the OPTION button that finally shows up !!

I have settings there for "Circle Surround Xtrack" , enable filter when sound is less than 44100 and more!

Excellent :)

Later,

Alcahest

(ps: yes, Teraphy has been helping me when i was on Geforce2go, so was first when he created the forum, greetz to him ^_^)

Edit2: Hmm i just discovered a minor problem. When TVS is disabled, sound is fuxed.

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/foru...ebtag=ws-laptop

That's great I hope we can manage to install it as well!

Rene can you please try modifiying one of the fields to PS520 (that is part number of your model)? Just be sure it is in 2ch mode (we don't have 6channel support do we?), harman/kardon speaker and, well, thats it you know. And Hazart yours should be something like PS241.

I'm looking forward to hearing good news from you guys!

That's great I hope we can manage to install it as well!

Rene can you please try modifiying one of the fields to PS520 (that is part number of your model)? Just be sure it is in 2ch mode (we don't have 6channel support do we?), harman/kardon speaker and, well, thats it you know. And Hazart yours should be something like PS241.

I'm looking forward to hearing good news from you guys!

Thanks a lot, guys. I am trying now. :)

EDIT:

Failed.

On the bottom of my laptop, a sticker says PS241Q. I tried this as a section name in TvsSupport.ini. The TVS installer refused to install on my laptop model. Well, I then tried PS241; it didn't work, too. More labouriously, I tried PS241X, where X was from A to Z, still no luck. I think I EITHER hadn't put the right section name for my model OR my laptop was too old to be recognised this way by the installer.

Unfortunately, I have to revert to the good old v1.00.10. For older Toshiba models, I think we need to find a more general way to get over this. I still don't understand why the Generic preset in the TvsSupport.ini didn't work, even though I seemed to have set the parameters correctly.

Thanks, people.

Btw Rene can you update the link in the first post? It is missing.

I fixed that link.

I hope that was what you are talking about....

Next time post the link as I do not keep up and me and Rene are both lazy, and he is still out of it.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6887

Also fixed the date, but I probably screwed it up somehow...

tip, the edited file can be put in the installation folder (the one in which is setup.exe); it doesn't need to be in the TEMP folder for the installation to work.

It speeds up the process for testing differents edits.

Later,

Alcahest

Done. Better now? :)

I'm doing this from memory so bear with me.If you go to TvsSupport.ini in the generic section, there is a line for supported systems (first or second line). Change the 0 to 1 and this will now install on any Toshiba system.