LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TV-Out Black and White?

Guest gnuasu

Guest gnuasu

Hey all, i'm trying to figure out why when i use the TV-out function the tv

comes in black and white. I've used this before and it came in perfect but at

that time i had original drivers that my dell came with and i used it on an apex

tv. This time i have the 56.72 driver set with the mod inf and using a sony tv.

Can someone try and help me with this one?

I too have had this problem with some drivers and infs including Peiters mod and the OEM (Dell) infs. Are you using the S-video out because i think the card is reverting back to composite and that turns it into black and white.

The thing is though, it works fine (in color) but when you swich resolutions or the video overlay thing comes on it gos to black and white. I could probably post the Dell inf if you need it.

Guest gnuasu

So you are saying that the problem is with Pieters Inf? And that the Dell Inf

works fine, meaning the TV displays color not black and white. I know its

probably some compatibility problem with Pieters Inf. I don't know what else

it would be. If you could send that Dell Inf i can try that. I Appreciate the

response!!

It seems only some original Dell drivers (44.82 I think work properly with TV-out)

I think you might be outputting PAL instead of NTSC (or vice versa), this is a Dell only problem.

It is another hard thing to fix not having a Dell my self.

Not much I can do seeing the OEM INFs are doing it as well.

Pieter.

What i meant was that with newer drivers wheather i use Peiters inf or the OEMs i get this problem. I don't think the card is switching over to PAL (or vice versa) because if it did the picture would be totaly messed up. The picture on the screen just turns to black and white wich you can replicate by using s-video out and turning the display to composite out in the driver settings.

Edit: I just tryed a few drivers and the 56.54 with the Dell OEM inf does not have this problem. Not only that this driver is very stable and has no bugs or UT 2004 performce problems. It also runs Halo and a few other games nice.

Also how do I remove attachments? I had attached my inf that came with my original drivers but don't need it attached anymore. Also whats with the post system at this forum i gotta refresh the pages and what not.

___

inf removed :)

Edited by dontknow

inspiron 8500

p4m 2.6ghz

1 gig ram

gf4 4200 go

62.12 FW drivers with pieters mod .inf (these drivers pwn)

This is an issue with the video BIOS. no drivers seem to fix it (from dell OEM drivers to about a dozen or so mod and non-mod .inf files from both pieter and terephy)

infact, it is my problem with TV out, that lead me to Pieter and Terephys awesome mod .inf files (and thier work to do what dell should be doing themselves....though, i am sure even if they did keep up-to-the-minute driver support for thier old model laptops, they still would not be as good as the ones we get here. nor would this very informed forum group exist).

on the dell forums, the only thing people have done to get the TV out working again is to revert the videoBIOS to A02. i am apprehensive about this fix

Here is my history with this problem

system came with:

vido drivrs ca. A02

videoBIOS A02

gf4 4200 go version A01 or A02 (cant quite remember)

TV out: working fine

followed video driver upgrades for a while

TV out: worked fine, no problem occured.

upgraded to videoBIOS A03

TV out: broken. would not even detect an anologue display.

i believe a video driver release came out, but it did not effect the symptoms of the problem. other graphic problems occured with this video BIOS release, including two horizontal bars accross the screen, roughly on either side of the horizontal middle of the screen

upgraded to videoBIOS A04 (released relatively soon after A03)

TV out: still broken. did not fix any of the graphic glitches

joind the Dell Forums. found that many other people with the gf4 440 and the gf4 4200 had the exact same issue. also i belive, people with one of the early FX cards, also had broken TV-out

some hero linked me to Pieter and Teraphy's mod .inf files for nvidia driver releases (right around the time the first FW drivers were released)

played around with some drivers, and settled with Terephys 52.16 drivers.

TV Out: still broken. with the tweaks that both Pieter and Terephy added, i could force the drivers to "detect displays". This would cause the TV screen to flicker, but did not do anything to get anything but a black screen on the TV. fixed the graphics glitches, including the horizontal bar issue.

upgraded to Terephys 53.03 mod .inf video drivers

TV Out:still broken

begain spending many hours on the phone with dell technical support. they decided to bump my video card from revision A02 to the latest model of the gf4 4200 go card (A04 i think, ithough it may be revision A03)

TV Out: still broken.

upgraded to videoBIOS A05

TV Out: went from leaving a blank black screen, to putting a black and white desktop screen on the television. this seems to be the current state of the problem for people with the g4 4200 go (at least us I8500 owners).

as i stated, any driver version does not fix the issue. indeed, it does not even change the symptoms.

i am currently trying to gather all the literature and information i have found regarding this problem, including Dell forum posts. i will post them here when i find them. infact, i recall a direct responsee from one of the dell forum moderators (when i directed questions directly towards them) and got the response

"dell is aware of this issue, and is currently working to resolve them"

there resolutoni was videoBIOS A05. guess black and white is better then nothing (well, not really)

-D6

EDIT: just read your edit. hmm, never tried the 56.54 drivers. i will have to try those. hope they perform as well as the 61.12 drivers ahve been working for me. 61.12 also fixed major problems with ut2k4 for me. as a note: 61.12 drivers come with the NVDM .inf files as well (do we need to rename them to the standard nv4 .inf name?)

-D6

PS

what are your futurmark '03 benchmarks? mine are

1145 with 61.12 using pieters mod .inf

Deaconsix,

Does your TV diplay PAL and NTSC, if not it might be outputting the wrong signal.

If you output NTSC to a PAL only TV it will come out B/W.

Or Dell uses an oddball TV-decoder chip that's causing all these problems.

I do believe one of the last working drivers was on of the 44.8x from Dell.

With 56.54 you don't need to rename the INF file, it should install as is.

You may want to remove all the other INFs into another dir to save confusion.

Pieter.

Also how do I remove attachments?  I had attached my inf that came with my original drivers but don't need it attached anymore.  Also whats with the post system at this forum i gotta refresh the pages and what not.

By editing your post you should have been able to remove attachments.

I'm not sure what you mean by refresh the page it does not update. I take it this is the only forum that the situation happens at for you?

DeaconSix, the A0X naming scheme is for OEM's. Do you have the NV version number(s)? Do the NV numbers vary from the OEM's?

DeaconSix, the A0X naming scheme is for OEM's. Do you have the NV version number(s)? Do the NV numbers vary from the OEM's?
Teraphy, i am about to investigate this issue on the Dell forums/website. the A0X you mean, you want the nvidia driver versions? or the videoBIOS versions (i thought those were dell specific, not from nvidia). the A0X designation for the video card revision, seems to be related to minor changes in the hardware. there are 4 different gf4 4200's that Dell has released (i got myself bumped up to the latest revision, recently)
Does your TV diplay PAL and NTSC, if not it might be outputting the wrong signal.

If you output NTSC to a PAL only TV it will come out B/W.

Pieter, how can i tell wich version my drivers are outputting? do i chnage it in the same location? My TV displays in wich ever one is the US standard ( i dont remember wich one, though i think it is NTSC if i remember correctly)

thanks for the info

-D6

EDIT

are these the numbers you want?

DRIVERS

A05 - v.6.14.10.4487

A03 - v.6.13.10.4258

A02 - v.6.13.10.4258 (was the same number, odd)

A01 - v.6.13.10.4256

they dont have access to the A04 drivers any more

videoBIOS

A05 - v.4.28.20.31.C1 (strange enough, they say this BIOS version fixes the TV out problem)

A04 - v.4.28.20.31.A1

A03 - v.4.28.20.31.10

I hope these numbers are correct, and not just more OEM numbers.

as you have told me before, the 61.12 drivers come with the .inf for the OEM (NVDM for the Dells). i havnt given these a shot. i assume when if i install these, they are going to give me the super limited functionality, that the untweaked drivers give, if you dont install pieters mod .inf files (ie the nview display mode is not perminantly open, no overclocking, etc).

anyway, hope this helps. links to the Dell forums on these isses will be posted soon

-D6

EDIT

here are some threads from the Dell forum on this matter

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...ssage.id=114857 <---newer post

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...+geforce#M82059

My Posts (with replys from people with similar issues):

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...+geforce#M96397

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...+geforce#M94755

about 8 months ago these TV - out issues were all over the place. now they seem to be a little hard to dig out of the archives (and all the cards being offered are the higher FX cards and ATI cards). add to that the ultra extream painfully slow response of the Dell forums (i dont remember them being this bad), and a lack of these threads are what i get (90% of the threads are people that just dont know the correct way to enable nview/duelview/cloneing).

-D6

PS

looks like it was the 45.24 drivers with the mod .inf from Teraphy that i first started using. I used Teraphys drivers up through 53.03, at wich time i switched to 56.72's with mod .inf from pieter (up to the 61.12 i just recently started running).

D6,

Teraphy meant the video bios version number. Just FYI.

USA/JAPAN uses NTSC.

EUROPE (except France) uses PAL.

Both versions are good enough. Thanks! :) Quick explanation:

DRIVERS

A05 - v.6.14.10.4487

A03 - v.6.13.10.4258

A02 - v.6.13.10.4258 (was the same number, odd)

A01 - v.6.13.10.4256

videoBIOS

A05 - v.4.28.20.31.C1 (strange enough, they say this BIOS version fixes the TV out problem)

A04 - v.4.28.20.31.A1

A03 - v.4.28.20.31.10

The trailing 4 numbers of the drivers are obviously the build. The A0X is the OEM build numbering scheme. Despite A05, the driver version is 44.87. Dell doesn't modify the drivers just the INF. Thus that is there fifth revision driver released for the system.

However, notice the video BIOS scheme. Fifth official release but onto build C1. NVIDIA never touched the BIOS as seen from the numbering scheme 4.28.20.31. Dell isn't allowed to see the code but they are allowed to do OEM modifications on the BIOS. So, they possibly could have broken something. A test on the matter would be to setup a faulty B&W driver then downgrade the BIOS. Knowing that all other drivers are ineffective.

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/...06338-prd39.htm

Confirmed. Displaying PAL on NTSC produces B&W.

Running the 60's+

nView Display Mode -> (Clone Mode) Click Monitor 1B -> Device Settings -> Select TV Format

In 20.55 of my INFs I have renabled an old setting I found ages ago, but has gotten lost somehow.

In the properties for the TV, there will be a page that looks like this :tvout.jpg

Now with my tweak, you can select the output of TV-out for lots of countries, PAL/NTSC bla bla in the 'Video output Format' or 'Change Format'

The 60's version looks a little different but has the same effect.

Have a play in here.

There is really no way of telling what your outputting unless your TV can say what it does.

Get this sorted first, no point fiddeling around just to find that your TV can't handle PAL.

Pieter.

I know (multiple reports form some of the heavy posters on the dell forums, so probably true) that with some of your, or pieters .infs (or even the dell released drivers), backdating to the A02 version of the videoBIOS fixed the issue way back when. it seemed to be the trumpeted work around.

Seems like some of our forum members found that using those OEM .infs that came with the 56.54 drivers corrected the issue. I am much more interested in using pieters .inf files, so i am going to play around with these settings he mentiond and pray. anyway, thanks for the info everyone. I will post my results.

-D6

.infs that came with the 56.54 drivers corrected the issue.

So there is a setting in v56.54, which has a correcting effect on TV-Output? Should not be so difficult to find out which setting it is for an affected DELL user. "Just" compare/add one setting from DELL inf to Pieters like Ministeve did when finding out what causes the BlackBar and Standby issue on TOSHiBAs. [EDIT] But be warned this can be VERY time consuming and need some SYSTEMATIC testing pattern[EDIT]

Edited by dontknow

good idea. i will take a loot at these .infs. i have to admit, i havnt really looked in them, beyond reading a bit into what pieter does to activate many of the features, and then looking to where they actually were installed within the .inf file. should be an adventure :)

thanks dontknow

-D6