LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Operating system not found?

FFXIRULEZ

Hello,

I decided to update my system bios this morning and I failed. Now I cant boot up. Every boot attempt gives me two messages 1: No array is defined , and 2: Operating system not found. I also tried reinstalling the OS with the recovery CD, and it goes well until I get to the partitioning section, and shows this:

Unknown Disk

<there is no disk in this drive.>

Unknown Disk

Unkonwn Disk

Unknown Disk

I've read in the pdf file attached to the bios update, to disconnect all periphirals I guess that means the usb floppy drive I had hooked up. I wonder if that had anything to do with the discrepancy. Or maybe it was an incompatible bios file. IDK, please help me, your expertise is needed! thank you.

Well, if you had a RAID-0 or RAID-1 array in your computer be sure to have your RAID drivers available for install. Win XP asks for them while you are installing so you physically have to watch the whole installation process so you can manually put the drivers in via floppy drive while the OS is being installed. Otherwise it sounds like you have either: [A] a bad BIOS flash or dead harddrive(s). Let me know either way.

Later,

Alex

While attempting to boot from HD there are no XP drivers needed :)

It seems to me (remotely) in this case the array needs to be rebuilded (message 1: ) OR tell the RAID controller which HD is the one to boot from (BootDisk = message 2: ).

• 2 months later...
Guest bluesteel

I had this same exact problem on my Alienware m7700. The reason it happens is because the new bios version resets all the bios settings to factory defaults.

The solution is to go into the bios settings under the advanced menu and change the "RAID/ATA MODE SELECT" setting from "RAID" to "ATA" Hit F10 to save changes and you should be ok.

This will work if your system has only one hard drive. If you have more than one hard drive and are using a RAID configuration you may need to redefine or rebuild your RAID.

• 1 year later...
Guest Sokun

I have the exact same problem you have faced, when I tried updating my system bios from 1.00.03 to the new bios of 1.00.06

I have the same machine specifications etc as you do.

Everything looked like it flashed okay, until i tried rebooting.

I have tried changing the BIOS settings from RAID Mode to ATA mode and vice versa with no luck. Still i recieve the "No OS system found".

I also tried setting up a new RAID array, but i think this isnt the solution as i only have one Hard Disk installed on my machine. I believe from my reading RAID is used for 2 or more Hard Disks.

Can i ask if you have found a fix for this? If so what you did to remedy this action?

Or does anybody know what i can do to fix my problem? Would reverting back to my original bios work? How can i achieve this?

If anyone out there can help i would be very greatful!

Hello,

I decided to update my system bios this morning and I failed. Now I cant boot up. Every boot attempt gives me two messages 1: No array is defined , and 2: Operating system not found. I also tried reinstalling the OS with the recovery CD, and it goes well until I get to the partitioning section, and shows this:

Unknown Disk

Unknown Disk

Unkonwn Disk

Unknown Disk

I've read in the pdf file attached to the bios update, to disconnect all periphirals I guess that means the usb floppy drive I had hooked up. I wonder if that had anything to do with the discrepancy. Or maybe it was an incompatible bios file. IDK, please help me, your expertise is needed! thank you.

The 4 Unknown Disks are the Card Reader. As someone has already posted the BIOS is reset. If you reinstall also disable the Card Reader so it will install using Drive Letter C:. Also if reinstalling, you must have the Promise Controller Drivers on the USB Floppy Drive. Hit F6 when Windows Install Starts. There are separate drivers for RAID and ATA.

• 1 month later...

Then you might need to use an USB ThumbDrive. Or buying a USB Floppy Drive.