LaptopVideo2Go Forums

New MXM by nVidia

Guest Angel

I've heard of this. Quite the idea by NVIDIA and some other manufacturers. It'll definitely fly since there are no royalties and will ease the transitions. The only thing needed when replacing cards will be a BIOS upgrade.

thats interesting. for all NV17 buddies, no hope to upgrade since its soldered.

post-6-1084914503_thumb.jpg

ATi had released a form factor of this sort but no one seemed to listen. Now they better listen. We told Dell about this a while back during our famous "Radeon 9600 & Newer Video Card" upgradeability petition, but instead of making newer cards available for older notebooks, they allowed ONE video card upgradeability plan to the Inspiron XPS... stupid Dell. However, it's good to this becoming a standard.

John

Since Dell won't do it, I hope some third-party manufacturer will offer GPU upgrades for Dell (and other) laptops that don't have a soldered-on chip. The 5150, for example, is a very powerful laptop that is severly bottlenecked by the FX Go5200.

There's a hefty market for upgrades that Dell doesn't seem to want to capitalize on. I trust someone will step in and take advantage of it.

heh, dell doesnt want to offer upgrades, becouse that would mean you didnt have to upgrade your laptop every 2 years. hell, we are all in this forum becouse dell (and others, i assume) wont even keep current on video card drivers.

yeah, as far as the XPS video card upgrade goes? compare the systems. the XPS is the I9100 with a slightly better CPU and the video card upgrade option (for wich you still ahve to buy the new video card).

the price difference? 1000 dollars. omg, ill just buy a new video card, install it myself (its not that hard to lift the keyboard and top plastics), and save friggin grand.

thanks dell!!!

-D6

PS i am waiting for my friend who got conned into the XPS to get the video card upgrade, so i can gank his "old" video card. hehehe

It's a great idea! (I want one for my Dell 5150)

Will it be any better than my GF2go ?

fo sheeeeezy my sneezy HAACHOOOO EEEYYYY!

Guest mobile risk

Looks like I have to get a new alienware when they start those mxm cards. :)

Could be bad for alienware, if nvidia gonna concentrate their production on those chips and they'll probably will no longer support the upgradable cards by alienware. Hopefully there'll be a solution for all mobile users, so especially the alienware users don't have to spend another 3,500 bucks for an upgrade (whole new area-51m or sentia) instead of the 450 bucks for the upgradable card.

Yeah, thats the big thing. Are the laptop OEM going to support user upgradable video cards? they *say* they dont want owners to upgrade thier parts, becouse they dont trust them to not cause issues with thier computers, to increase warrenty costs. They tried to keep us out of our desktops for years too (i remember my desktop in college having that tinfoil security sticker, so they would know if you cracked the case). That ludicrous practice obviously had to stop, as people stopped being afraid to touch the insides of thier systems, and started modding out crazy powerfull computers.

The real reason, i think, they want to keep people unfamiliar with the inards of thier laptops, is to belay the onset of people tricking out thier computers, and keep them relying on new system purchases for upgrades.

The buisnes practices of the laptop OEM will be thier downfall on this account. any new dell (the gray computers, as opposed to the 8200 style laptops) has been so streamlined for efficient "onsight technical service" the thing is pretty ###### simple to break down to base parts, and put back together. the *only* thing that is hard about it, is remember wich stupid screw goes into wich stupid screw hole (these things are designed, for some reason, with 2.5x as many screw holes, as screws that go in them, and 3 main different screw sizes).

we can already see an increase with the people buying up parts from dell parts and service, and modding them to fit in thier laptops.

heres a link to a VERY clever mod, to upgrade the I8500 to a later FX card (boooyah!)

thread

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....topic=510&st=0&

mod

http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500videoheat.htm

So, to keep this reply pertinant to the discussion at hand, i think it is a great idea. i am ###### glad to see nVidia listening to its loyal cosnumer base, as opposed to the laptop OEMs, who seem to want to eek out more profits, and not loose the edge on thier high margins with the expensive laptop market

(achem! im talkin to you dell, with your XPS = 1000$ > I9100 for, in large part, the right to *buy* a new video card)

my two cents

-D6

Could be bad for alienware, if nvidia gonna concentrate their production on those chips

here is the news (excerpt):

NVIDIA along with Alienware, AOpen, Quanta, Uniwill and Wistron today said that they had jointly designed a special type of interface for plugging-in graphics modules into notebooks.

more here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/displa...0517080409.html

so don't worry, be happy (for now) with your AW. :)

A short video for your amusement:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/video/mxm/mxm_video.mpg

copy&paste from the specs:

The MXM graphics module is inserted at a 20 to 30 degree angle and then rotated towards the motherboard and then screwed into mechanical mounting stand-offs.

MXM Type Width Length Example Configuration

MXM-I 70 mm 68 mm Up to 4 pieces 8Mx32 (128 MB)

MXM-II 73 mm 78 mm Up to 8 pieces 8Mx32 (256 MB)

MXM-III 82 mm 100 mm Up to 8 pieces 8Mx32 (256 MB)

BIOS info:
MXM Graphics Module? software includes a video BIOS and an OS specific driver. The video BIOS is stored on an EPROM located on the MXM graphics module.

Merging the VBIOS with the System BIOS in a single ROM on the motherboard is

not supported with MXM, since the module is removable.

The panel and backlight power will be controlled by the MXM video BIOS and drivers.

Compatibility:

The MXM has been designed to allow for compatibility between the three MXM graphics module types. The notebook?s mounting holes for the MXM are in the

same location for all MXM graphics modules.

MXM-I can insert into all notebooks that support MXM graphics modules. MXMII can insert into notebooks that support MXM-II and MXM-III modules. MXMIII modules only insert into notebooks that support a MXM-III module volumetric keep outs.

MXM-III thermal solutions are incompatible with MXM-I and MXM-II. MXM-III accommodates a maximum of a 40 mm × 40 mm GPU package where as MXM-I and MXM-II support a maximum of a 35 mm × 35 mm GPU package.

PCI Express Support:
The Mobile PCI Express Module (MXM) supports a link of up to sixteen bidirectional PCI Express differential signaling lanes. It is compliant with PCI Express Base Specification 1.0a except for power delivery and power management.

Notebook power requirements supercede PCI Express power specifications. The MXM does not support Hot-Plug insertion.

Power Throttling:

The MXM will automatically detect power supply limitations and thermal limitations of the notebook platform and will automatically throttle its clocks to stay within the power and thermal limits. If the notebook platform?s power supply and MXM thermal cooler are equal too or exceeds the MXM?s power requirements, the MXM will run at full speed. The MXM system information data contains the necessary information for MXM throttling. This data is stored in either the SBIOS or the MXM system information ROM on the Notebook?s motherboard.
MXM Cooling Fan:
If it is necessary for the MXM graphics module to have its own dedicated fan in the notebook?s chassis, the motherboard is required to provide power and speed control for the fan.

Sounds interesting.

Anyone for a dip with Nalu ?

*ttp://www.laptopvideo2go.com/images/webpictures/wpaper_nalu.jpg

Guest zeroflux

So quick question, does all this really mean upgrades for the Dell Inspiron 5150? I would love to get something faster then the geforce go5200 *drool* is this something that is a year off? 5 years off?

No. All future notebooks equipped with an MXM slot will be upgradeable of this type. Dell is really slow when it comes to this. They are hard headed. With the old radeon 9600 petition a while back, we were trying to knock some sense to them, but they never listened. Oh well. C'est la vie.

John

Guest Guest

so now, there is no possible way to upgrade a Dell notebooks graphics card? thats if you already have a notebook with out a mxm slot? GRRR

can you trade your notebook back to dell for a better one like the XPS and pay the difference?> similar to leasing a car?

• 3 months later...

As listed here http://www.nvidia.com/object/PO_MXM_UK.html' target="_blank"> there are going to be three types of MXM modules:

MXM-I (Thin & Light Notebooks)

MXM-II (Mainstream Notebooks)

MXM-III (Desktop Replacement Notebooks)

post-6-10950964400_thumb.png

• 1 year later...

Ice-tea, can you describe the new HE type of MXM?

Ice-tea, can you describe the new HE type of MXM?

Heh... all I know is what is on Nvidia's website. It's mainly a Type III card with a wider connector. I fatures 2 additonal pins, allowing an additional 90 (!) Watts in the power budget.

I have never seen one. It's nof for vibration or other mechanical restrictions. So, I'm assuming this is targeteing desktop PC. Perhaps systems like the new Shuttle, which features a x1600 MXM.

Maybe High Energy :) ?