LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Fujitsu Amilo M3438G driver recommendation & Overclocking results

Miki

No, there was not so much dust... :)

Maybe it's something at driver level but I just tried other drivers and the problem is always the same...

Probably my fan is broken: is there a tool that measure the fan rps? So I can see what's the difference beetween mine and yours...

Even the downclock didn't work :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zipper

• Miki

• Suns

• Fonzie

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably my fan is broken: is there a tool that measure the fan rps? So I can see what's the difference beetween mine and yours...

Even the downclock didn't work :)

Haven't seen a tool capable of RPM reading.

On web browsing and such easy jobs my cooler just makes some occasional bursts on and speeds with heavier load. As there is just one fan (I think) it depends on CPU and GPU temperatures and starts about 57 - 62 C GPU, kicking higher speed at about 70 C and speeding still more at higher temperatures.

And the downclock should clearly lower your temperatures, downclock 20-30% or still more to see the effect.

Perhaps the thermal paste/pads under your heat sink system is defective.

You could put something under the back feet of the lappy to raise it a couple of centimeters - it lowers your

temperatures a couple of degrees.

Edited by zipper

Haven't seen a tool capable of RPM reading.

On web browsing and such easy jobs my cooler just makes some occasional bursts on and speeds with heavier load. As there is just one fan (I think) it depends on CPU and GPU temperatures and starts about 57 - 62 C GPU, kicking higher speed at about 70 C and speeding still more at higher temperatures.

And the downclock should clearly lower your temperatures, downclock 20-30% or still more to see the effect.

Perhaps the thermal paste/pads under your heat sink system is defective.

Do you think I have to change the paste and pads? In fact when I looked at the pads it seemed a little strange to me that the pads were made of a sort of gum :)

dscn34082gz.th.jpg

I can replace them with pads of wich material? And over the chips have I to put the paste?

Tnx :)

I can replace them with pads of wich material? And over the chips have I to put the paste?

I've never been forced to replace them on my lappy, but here is some common knowledge about the mostly used materials:

1. Thermal tape - most inefficient

2. Common thermal paste - silicon based, and thermal pads - about 10x more efficient

3. High grade thermal paste with metal particles, for example Arctic Silver - still 10x more efficient, but also

electrically conductive so may make electric shorts if carelessly applied.

Hello. I have the same problem whit overheating of my GPU. When I play games such as NFSMW BE, Doom III, Heroes V the temp. gous up to 105C and my lappy shuts down. Although I've found a sollution to this. I set up power mizer in nvidia control pannel to optimal not to maximal performence and

i can play as long as I want. The performance is poorer though but you its still possible to play these games at sattysfying visusl settings.

And now about laptop collers. Does anybody now any good one?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started a thred about overheating of amilo 3438 GPU, cous I think its a serious issue:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....opid=34388&

Amilo M3438G, 1,73GHz/512MB upgraded to x1800 (stock settings)

5161 3DMark 05 (39% increase over stock 6800) :)

2650 3DMark 06 (46% increase over stock 6800) :)

EDIT: '06 was ran in 1280*768 I only have the basic version, so I can't change the res.

Edited by Ice-Tea

Guest Hello

Hey,

I just got my M3438Gv2 a few weeks ago and the only benchresult I can get with 3dmark05 are 990 without reinstall and 1000 after reinstall.

Could this have something to do with not yet flashing to 39.60 rom? Because this would give a high difference of more than 350% in the results... :)

Greetz,

Amilo user and WoW player

Hey,

I just got my M3438Gv2 a few weeks ago and the only benchresult I can get with 3dmark05 are 990 without reinstall and 1000 after reinstall.

Could this have something to do with not yet flashing to 39.60 rom? Because this would give a high difference of more than 350% in the results... :)

Absolutely - but I was doing 1022 before reflashing... :)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8245

Guest reachme

The GPU core on my 3438g overheats also, I had some shutdowns

playing BF2 while it was hot inside due to good weather.

I had Everest log the temps and the GPU reached a maximum of 99 degrees.

The 99 degrees seems to be a maximum in Everest or the sensor because

beyond 99 degrees Everest only logged zero's.

My laptop is placed on a smooth wooden surface.

I have reduced it by 20 degrees by lifting the back half a centimeter with two objects.

Someone in this thread already mentioned this.

I played several hours and it never came over 79 degrees.

Use non-smooth objects so your lappy stays put.

BTW someone started a 'overheating' thread but someone else linked it back to this one. :)

Danny.

(yes I should be outside enjoying the good weather, but was hungover) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok about the overheating problem.

I have just opened the amilo and the Cooling for the GPU is awful.

It just cant hadle the temperature of the 6800.

Facts:

BAD heat sink.

When in DC mode - it heats real FAST due to the high performance of the GPU

On Battery mode - it heats slower but for 30 min gaming it will reach more than 110C.

In 2D Mode DC - 80C

In 2D Mode Battery - 70C

In 3D mode - OVERHEAT for no more than 30min

(this temps are at more then 35C in the room)

What i have tried and it didnt work.

1) Opening the lap and Changing the Pads betwin the GPU and the heatsink.

(tried just thermal paste, and just with the old pads0

Result: The contact betwin the heat sink and GPU is 100% working,

The problemes comes from the heatsink it self. It heats and cant cool down with 1 fan.

2)Lift up the Lapt. so there is enoght space betwin the heatsink and ground.

Same thing. It Overheats! There is no air flow.

So it makes no differens.

Solutions:

1)Ask our vendor for better cooling.

2) Slow down the GPU.

You can do that with the NVIDIA PowerMizer.

This will gratly lower the FPS.

I got a drop down of 11000 points to 3000 points in 3D mark 2001.

3) think of a way to make air flow.

From the GPU to the fan.

Place a small fan at the bottom of the lap.

SAD but TRUE :)

I have the same problem as most of you guys. Amilo does overheat and shuts down after 25-35 minutes of playing any game while room temperature is 30+C during these hot summer days. That did not happen in winter when room temps were 20-25C (and when i could oc GPU/MEM to 390/360 and play for hours with no overheating problems).

However i found a temporary solution for this problem. I lifted the back side of laptop for about half an inch to allow better airflow and I positioned ordinary room fan to cool the laptop from the right side. You couldn't believe the difference ! GPU is A LOT cooler (didn't check the temps from CP ) - handrest right of touchpad is mildly warm instead of burning hot and i never had a shutdown during my late night WoW sessions ever since :)

I have the same problem as most of you guys. Amilo does overheat and shuts down after 25-35 minutes of playing any game while room temperature is 30+C.......

Yep thats the solution if you dont wana use powermizer.

I am thinking of a small portable fan powered by the usb port now :)

I love my 3438G. The only thing that ever goes wrong with it is ME :)

Here's the link to my 3DMARK 06 result using 84.25 drivers, 380/680 clocks:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/Egg...SCORE9-8-06.jpg

I'm very happy with this score :P

Also, re the overheating issues. you can buy a laptop pad with 3 fans from eBNay (or wherever you fancy) for between £5-£10. Seems to work fine for me :)

Edited by Eggenberg4Ever

• 4 weeks later...

I added Prey results but i will list them here also:

Forceware 84.25 , GF 6800 @ 350 / 650

Prey 1.0 max settings , 8xAF - custom demo

1024 x 768 - 39.3 fps

1440 x 900 - 26.8 fps

Prey rocks at 1024 x 768 and it is playable at 1440 x 900. Only at more demanding scenes in spiritual form frame rate drops to 17-25 but othervise it is mostly between 30-50. I heard that latest ( > 91.3x ) drivers improve the frame rate a bit so it might be worth a shot to try them.

And after 6 month of using 84.25 drivers I have to say that these are THE drivers for Fujitsu M3438G. I have yet to see bsod or incompatibility with game or some other application and they perform very well. Try to stay away from 91.xx drivers unless you have problems with specific game.

Edited by Miki

• 2 weeks later...
And after 6 month of using 84.25 drivers I have to say that these are THE drivers for Fujitsu M3438G. I have yet to see bsod or incompatibility with game or some other application and they perform very well. Try to stay away from 91.xx drivers unless you have problems with specific game.

I can definitely confirm this, I use these drivers on my Amilo M3438G since they where released, and I got the best results in gaming with them.

A Problem, that maybe does not belong here, but maybe you have an answer for me, miki:

did you get your 6800 GO running under WinVista RC1 (Built 5600) without any problems, and if so, what driver was used? Is there any modded inf-file (maybe for other notebooks) that could be used with the M3438G's 6800 GO?

Or have you already not been that curious to try out Vista RC1 on the Amilo :) ? My curiosity got a bit damped since I have Vista running only in 1024x768, without 3D and an error code 43 showing up at my graphiccards-driver :)

thank you for any support on this,

greetings,

chris :P

Absolutely - but I was doing 1022 before reflashing... :)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8245

Hei, i've been reading this post and...i've version 84.25, ¿would i get better performance with 83.20 drivers?

WIth 84.25 drivers i can't connect my amilo on tv using DualView mode (it shows my wallpaper but when i turn on Windows Media Player it doesn't show on tv)

83.90 is the fastest benchmarker between 80-85 version drivers.

From your own results:

83.90.|..9140..|..3845..|..1850..| - std

84.25.|..9080..|..3827..|..1851..| - std

For that kind of improved benchmark result I prefer a post 84.25 driver that features all the patches that came with 84.12, the PureVideo acceleration for H264 and Oblivion optimizations.

But for someone that plays only at benchmarks... I would advise to just to 9x.xx... since you get good benchmark results and all the stuff mentionned about 84.25+.

83.90.|..9140..|..3845..|..1850..| - std

To be exact I would recommend it for not-so-brand-new games, perhaps 1+ years old.

For 3 years old games 53.30 might be unbeatable...

Hei, i've been reading this post and...i've version 84.25, ¿would i get better performance with 83.20 drivers?

WIth 84.25 drivers i can't connect my amilo on tv using DualView mode (it shows my wallpaper but when i turn on Windows Media Player it doesn't show on tv)

If you do not play latest games such as FEAR or Oblivion, 83.20 will perform about the same as 84.25 so feel free to use them :P

did you get your 6800 GO running under WinVista RC1 (Built 5600) without any problems, and if so, what driver was used? Is there any modded inf-file (maybe for other notebooks) that could be used with the M3438G's 6800 GO?

Or have you already not been that curious to try out Vista RC1 on the Amilo :) ? My curiosity got a bit damped since I have Vista running only in 1024x768, without 3D and an error code 43 showing up at my graphiccards-driver :)

I haven't tried Vista and i probably won't until the final version comes out. First, it does not offer any noticable improvement for me which would justify installing all my software again and beside that graphics card drivers have not yet matured enough in both stability and performance to match Windows XP ones.

Check out this comparison of drivers at Legit Reviews which covers latest Forceware and Catalyst drivers under Windows XP and Vista RC1.

Edited by Miki

• 3 weeks later...
Ok about the overheating problem.

I have just opened the amilo and the Cooling for the GPU is awful.

It just cant hadle the temperature of the 6800.

strange, i had a amilo m3438g with OC 380/760 (stock VBIOS) and never had my temp over 70 C, even that i played BF2 with 4 x AA, maxium shadows, etc. can it be different coolingssystem for different countrys, it shouldnt be , or ?

Guest Scubaman

Miki,

You seem to be one of the few who understand the 3438g. Any chance you could explain how to "flash" the GeForce ROM - despite extensive searching this is very difficult to work out. Is it possible (or sensible) up date the ami bios to the 3438G - is this something FS need to supply?

Also: I'm trying to install Vista RC1 and having huge problems getting the Vista driver for the GO 6800 to work - it stops with error code 43.

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have found the problem we all had problems with.. the GPU fan isnt full of dust but the heatsink that makes the air flow into it is full packed with dust. take off the panel where the GPU fan is, and blow air into the Heatsink intake on the backside of the laptop. my guess is that you will see about 3 kilos of dust blowing out. I had problems with overheating and slowdowns in games, even the laptop turned itself off when it went above 90 degrees when i was gaming, and +60 in windows. after i blew the dust out yesterday (and applied some coolingpaste onto the fan and the cover i have discovered that the degree has went down to around 40-50 and max 65 degrees when hardcore gaming (dark messiah demo at max goodies).

I :) i hope this helped you fellas, no more underclock for now on! just let the laptop bite the dust! :)