LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Fujitsu Amilo M3438G driver recommendation & Overclocking results

Miki

strange, i had a amilo m3438g with OC 380/760 (stock VBIOS) and never had my temp over 70 C, even that i played BF2 with 4 x AA, maxium shadows, etc. can it be different coolingssystem for different countrys, it shouldnt be , or ?

I can confirm it overheats, i live in denmark.

M3438 overheats when the temperature gets over a constant level of 25 degrees celsius.

Mine did a lot, during the summer where i played Heroes of might and magic V.

Btw i registered a bug with the 83.20 driver. When i use AA in a game, the game get f***** up when i maximize after having it minimized. I've experienced it in CS: Source and Guild Wars (i don't run other games with AA) I can "repair" the bug by changing the resolution of the screen, but when i minimize again it still happens. So at the moment the solution has been not to run any application with AA :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zipper

• Miki

• Suns

• Fonzie

Top Posters In This Topic

not to run any application with AA
Excuse me, but that should be Common Knowledge ever since the year 2000. Turn off all AA, AF and what else they try to sell as IQ revolution and enjoy higher FPS and less problems in any kind of application and game.

Excuse me, but that should be Common Knowledge ever since the year 2000. Turn off all AA, AF and what else they try to sell as IQ revolution and enjoy higher FPS and less problems in any kind of application and game.

Well why have a gfx-card, if u don't want better grafics options in a acceptable fps.. And just for the note, it only does this when running 83.20

EDIT: i've mistaken my driver... i'm such a noob :) i actually have 83.20 and not 84.12 :) how noobish of me.

But anyway i have an AA bug with the 83.20 driver.

Edited by Suns

With recent GPUs... 6xxx and 7xxx you want at least 84.12... since this driver fixes LOTs of issues.

ps: but the best driver equation is still "official OEM driver past 84.25".

• 2 months later...

Hi, I own a 3438g. I just downloaded the 84.25 driver, but it seems that overclocking doesnt work. When the nvidia menu is open, I choose overclocking, for example 420/660. Then the pc tests the changes, confirms that the changes are ok, and i click apply and then ok. When I open again the nvidia menu I see the default settings, 325/600. Why my choice isn't saved?

Thanks in advance

Why my choice isn't saved?

Solar prominences? :)

Your mileage with overclocking may vary; try 84.26 or 87.25 for instance. Or try RivaTuner

or something similar.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I have fujitsu-siemens M3438G and I installed Windows Vista on it. So now I'm wondering what is the best driver for win vista and nvidia 6800 Go

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah guys: same here. I just made the "leap" (or is it a fall? :) ) to Vista 64 bit.

What's the best driver to use to replace the superb modded 84.25 drivers you made for XP?

I have exactly the same problem. Did anyone come up with an answer to this? :)

HI everyone!

So which one? 84.25 or 83.20? Have anyone tried S.T.A.L.K.E.R.2 on Amilo?

On XP there's not a better one than the 84.25 set IMHO. Fantastic performance.

Still waiting to hear if the Vista provided drivers are any good (doubt it) or if there's a modded set of Vista drivers from the dev's.

Boing-boing-boing!

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

I just ran the 3dmark 03 test witn my Fujitsu siemens Amilo 3438G and it ran OK untill I came to the mother nature part where the fps dropd as low as 15.

But thats not my problem right now.

I have formated my computer and I have now installed all the drivers that they have at the fujitsu siemens website.

But i installed the 81.26 drivers that I found here since it said in an old thread that they would run fine without the bios flash.

So when the CPU test starts (during 3dmark) the screen starts to flicker and loads of black dots apear all over the screen.

Couldnt get a screenshoot though...

Anyone know what my problem is?

Other driers?

• 3 months later...

I don't use Fujitsu as my main gaming rig anymore but since i got Orange Box and Crysis last week I decided to fire it up and see if this old dog still has what it takes to run them :) First game i tried to run was HL2: Episode 2. Steam warned me that my drivers are too old (84.25) and that i should use a more recent version but it still allowed me to run the game.

Episode 2 runs noticeably slower than HL2. At 1440x900 2xAA 4xAF max settings, i was getting about 20-30 fps throughout the game with casual dips to 12-20 fps in more intense scenes. Not quite what I expected but enough for a enjoyable experience. However, lowering resolution and antialiasing didn't increase the performance much so I gave up and played the game at 1440.

Portal had a decent performance at 1440 0xAA 4xAF .

TF2 was my main concern since i require >30 fps in any multiplayer game but, surprisingly, at 1024x640 0xAA 4xAF 3438 managed to stay above 30 fps 90% of the time. I found that console command mat_softwarelighting 1 can improve frame rate 30-50% at the expense of some eye candy so it might be worth a shot when trying to tweak the settings.

I thought that maybe newer driver will improve frame rate but I was wrong. Version 169.13 decreased performance between 5 and 10% (and to make sure it wasn't just this particular driver, I tried 156.66 and 163.75 with same result :) ).

Here is a small test done on 2Fort map:

Team Fortress 2 - Max Settings 2xAA 8xAF

----------------------------------------

---------- 84.25 ---- 169.13 -----------

1024x640 --- 42 ------- 39 -------------

1280x800 --- 30 ------- 28 -------------

1440x900 --- 26 ------- 24 -------------

Even Crysis ran smoothly at 800x500 with everything set to low but that's not how it was meant to be played.

Also I want to say again that people with 6x00 go graphic cards shouldn't even bother with >100.xx drivers.

- Newer drivers perform worse (tested in both older and newer titles)

- they tend to crash more often

- videos are washed out (perhaps that could be tweaked within control panel but i didn't have them installed long enough to bother)

- no overclocking via control panel

- no way to check temperature of GPU within control panel or with Ntune

- new control panel is more bloated and not as intuitive as old version. Ofc old version can be enabled with registry tweak but still...

- on positive side, newer drivers offer transparency antialiasing for 6x00 go cards (with 91.xx + drivers iirc) and gpu acceleration in Adobe Reader 8 (86.xx + ) , but it comes at a cost of font rendering quality so it is a questionable benefit

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any Amilo 3438 users still alive out there?

Anyone found a good driver for Vista as yet? Come on; we've all got pretty similar setups.... share the knowledge; to share is to care guys :)

Guest mandragora

Dear Guys

I have just bought M3438G unfortunately i didnt read all important reviews of this machine ( how stupid I am) so far I didnt notice any problems with normal work ( movies and music ) but i still have the old BIOS version so first I need to change it- could pls be so kind and tell me which version is most updated right now and safe ofcourse, and which drivers right now will the best option for the performance. Everything is still installed on the oryginal ones provided by FS. Thanks for any help!

Bios 39.60 is the latest (replaced 39.49)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

My M3438G runs Vista Ultimate perfectly with aero. I had major problems with Vista drivers until it overheated and broke causing me to send it back to Fujitsu Siemens. When i got it back I installed Vista and it works now unlike before? The drivers are 7.14.10.9686 with a Windows Experience Index score of 3.8. The drivers aren't that hot for games unfortunately and i can't change the brightness/contrast, etc as i could when running proper nvidia drivers but then i couldn't run any aero effects whatsoever? Why don't Nvidia release an updated driver for the video card?

• 5 months later...

Hi guys!

I have Fujitsu Siemens M3438G and I have been running Vista for some time now. Everything works just fine, but my video card drivers are the ones that came with Vista installation (Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 Mircosoft Corporation - WDDM, version 7.14.10.9686) and some apps don't run with them (like Cooliris plugin for firefox or the stepmania game). I have tried to find newer drivers (with modded inf's) and I have found stable, working ones, but I always run into one problem: when I have any other drivers installed than the ones I have now, the when I close the computer lid and reopen it, the screen stays black and I can't get the picture back. It seems that the only way to get it back is to use sleep and then restart the computer. But that is really cumbersome. Can I set any video card options so that it wouldn't switch off the picture when I close the lid?

Seems I found a solution mysef, NV driver 178.26 seems to work well with Vista on Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M3438G! Closing and opening the lit works fine now, the video switchis off when I close the lid and comes back when I open the lid.

• 2 months later...

Anyone has something new to add to this thread? I have just installed Vista Ultimate on my M3438G but i havent had any luck with the graphic drivers. The only way i was able to install a driver was to change to the modded inf and then check the ""Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2". And then the nvidia control panel is not working. I was able to play Fallout 3 though so the performance was there but without the panel i cant do shiet :) So i would be glad to get any tips what i can do with this computer to make it more up to date even if its like 4 yrs old. Bios upgrades for mb and gpu, chipset- and graphic drivers. Any pros out there who want to help a newbie and wannabe like me? :) And there is no problem if it wont work properly with Vista. I can install XP again but if there is a sollution i wanna try it first.

Edited by SuperNordic