LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce Go 7800 - noisy bottom row of pixels

Guest muzza23

Guest muzza23

My new Dell 9400 with a GeForce Go 7800 is being besmirched by a problem with the bottom row of pixels...

My screen is 1920x1200, but any resolution lower than this produces noise on the bottom row of pixels... In games it shows up as random colours which do not match the rest of the scene (e.g. the bottom row shows white when in a dark/black room)... So far this problem has occurred on all 80-series driver versions I've tried so far (83.40, 83.60 and 83.90) from laptopvideo2go, but does not occur on the stock 78.59 drivers available from the Dell support website atm...

Does anybody know what could be causing this? Is it a known problem with the drivers or could it be the card itself? It's definitely not the LCD, I hooked up another LCD to the 9400's analogue output and the problem showed up there too...

Another (possibly related) problem relates to AA... when games do a full-screen "fade to black", I've noticed the far-left column and the top row of pixels do not fade at all when AA is turned on, but fade properly when AA is turned off... This happens in all driver versions I've tried so far, even the stock 78.59 drivers... Could it be related to the first problem above?

This is a really annoying problem, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

83.60 should work for you with the original INF as this is a Dell driver supporting your machine.

There might be a driver problem that cropped up in the 80's series.

Or you may have a faulty GPU, anybody else with a i9400 and this problem ?

Guest muzza23

83.60 definitely displayed the problem, just tried it this afternoon...

They seem to be 2 separate problems... the first one (noisy bottom row of pixels when resolution is < 1920x1200) has only showed up on the 80-series drivers i've listed above, and doesn't show up on the 78.59 ones...

But the left-most column and top row do not fade to black when AA is enabled on all driver versions ive tried so far... :)

If anyone with a 9400 can reproduce either one of these then I'll be less inclined to go through the hassle of getting a replacement card, but if not I spose i'll give that a whirl...

Edited by ®®®

I've managed to get 83.60 working without the noisy bottom row of pixels... I installed them via Device Manager in Safe Mode and that problem seems to be gone...

However, the left-most column and top row still don't fade to black properly... very annoying, would be great to get an idea whether any other i9400 owners are experiencing this...

What resolutions do you run games at?

If they are scaled up you should only be running half of what you have because it doesn't look quite right when scaled.

I would suggest uninstalling those and installing 81.98 or 82.12 using the device manager and Pieter's mod INF, quick links can be found in my driver recommend thread linked to from my signiture.

I still recommend these as 81.98 is official and the 83 drivers have caused lots of problems for people.

The Desktop Overlap and Edge Blending Features in the NVIDIA driver control panel are used to align two projectors displaying an image on the same screen. When both the Desktop Overlap and Edge Blending Features are enabled in NVIDIA graphics drivers 77.13, 77.18 or 77.82, the Windows desktop is filled with lines and blocks of the wrong color (garbage). The problem stops when either of these two features is turned off.
Is this what happens to your screen?

Guest Guest

Doesn't sound exactly right, but that's up the right alley... Where'd you find that quote? I'll have a hunt & try to disable those features, thanks heaps mate :)

This issue was announced at HP support website and they even suggest a solution :)

To workaround this issue, install driver 72.13.

A future driver will correct this issue.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...D_WV050919_CW02