LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Screen went black

uroscar

So, I'm desperate again. I was using my laptop and all of a sudden the screen went black. The computer kept runing so it didnt reset. I can accualy see little shadows of windows if i look at the screen really close. It looks like the light that lights up the screen went byebye...... I restarted, turned of, waited, etc and nothing brought back the light to my screen. Does anyone have any ideas? :) :) :P :(

Thanks!!!

Can you plug up a CRT/external monitor to test?

Hit Fn+F8 or whatever to change to external screen.

If that works I would say that just your backlight failed.

Unless you know how to replace LCD screens (more precisely just the backlight) yourself you will need to send the laptop back in.

Also have you tried Fn+the arrow keys or whatever to adjust the brightness?

Maybe it somehow mysteriously just got turned down.

Thanks Bill.

I tried everything you said, and nothing really works. If I plug it to an external monitor it works. It also works if I plug it in to s-video output. So I guess there is nothing wrong with the graphics card. I'm almost 100% sure that the backlight failed. So now I'm wondering, would it be cheaper to send a 3 year old laptop back so they repair the backlight, or it would be cheaper if I would just buy a new cheap external 15" monitor and plug it to the output of my laptop. I primary use the laptop for work in word, firefox, excel, lotus notes, ...... and i don't transport it much, since with 7,5Kg the laptop is not really portable... :)

thanks

Thanks Bill.

I tried everything you said, and nothing really works. If I plug it to an external monitor it works. It also works if I plug it in to s-video output. So I guess there is nothing wrong with the graphics card. I'm almost 100% sure that the backlight failed. So now I'm wondering, would it be cheaper to send a 3 year old laptop back so they repair the backlight, or it would be cheaper if I would just buy a new cheap external 15" monitor and plug it to the output of my laptop. I primary use the laptop for work in word, firefox, excel, lotus notes, ...... and i don't transport it much, since with 7,5Kg the laptop is not really portable... :)

thanks

Buying a decent 17" LCD would probably be cheaper than sending it back. Even though the parts to replace the baclight don't amount to 50?

External is a decent idea.

You could take the screen off of the laptop, get an LCD controller that will do 1280x1024 SXGA, get an overhead projecter then make an LCD projector with the screen.

A 1280x1024 LCD computer projector for less than $100 or so is a pretty sweet deal, the light from the overhead will act as your backlight. :)

Can get 17in brand new LCDs with good quality and low responce time for around $200+ new or cheaper used.

Newegg carries a good selection but you don't live in the states.

If you want to use that LCD for something else talk to me and I can maybe find the right parts.

Which 19-20" LCD monitors for around 500$ are really good? Which company makes good LCD monitors?

Try a search for "aspire inverter" at ebay. These are respnisble for backlight. Probably no need for a new LCD. Replacing the inverter could do the job.

I went to AcerPoint to check out what is the problem. ®®® you were right. But the problem was also with the neon lights, so the repair would cost me 580eur!!!!! So it wasn't worth it, and I hooked it up to an old 17" CRT and works OK. Now I'm waiting for the comp to explode, so I have something to write on this forum.... :) :)

Thanks!!

Yes, i miss your posts. Come back. I also had a 6 months break, so nothing is lost :)

• 3 years later...

I went to AcerPoint to check out what is the problem. ®®® you were right. But the problem was also with the neon lights, so the repair would cost me 580eur!!!!! So it wasn't worth it, and I hooked it up to an old 17" CRT and works OK. Now I'm waiting for the comp to explode, so I have something to write on this forum.... ;) ;)

Thanks!!

I have an Acer that is 4 months old and I have the same exact problem with my LCD backlight. Acer Support has been no help whatsoever. I will never buy an Acer, which I believe is also eMachines, ever again. Buy Dell, there support system was super and Compact wasn't bad either. I never dreamed a computer's company could have such poor service and their website isn't much help. They could learn something from the competition.

How old was your computer?