LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help with bluescreen error on new SZ160

Powermonger

Hi, this is my first post.

I bought on friday a SZ 160 on compusa.

My main objective was a thin notebbokwho one can play serious games with.

To my dismay, when i installed two of my games, i cannot play them.

The games are pretty old ones (2004/2005).

1. Codemasters> Heroes: Soldiers of WWII.

I installed the game and all the patches provided by codemasters. As soon as i click on the icon desktop, i get a horrible Blue screen error and the computer automatically restarts. When it restarts i got the following Error report summary:

Error type Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available? Yes

What does this error mean? You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Cause A video adapter device driver

Computer symptoms A message appears on a blue screen with error code information:

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

- or -

STOP: 0x100000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

Action for you to take

We have analyzed your error report and there are two solutions for this problem for you to choose between.

+ Solution 1: Install the most current driver for your video card

Go to the Microsoft Update website to see if there are any updated drivers for your video card. A driver is software that enables hardware or devices (such as a printer, mouse, or keyboard) to work with your computer. Every device needs a driver in order for it to work. If there are any drivers listed, you should install them.

If there are no updated drivers at Microsoft Update, and you know the manufacturer of the video card, contact the card manufacturer's product support service for assistance.

If there are no updated drivers at Microsoft Update, you don't know the name of the manufacturer of the video card, and you need more help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.

+ Solution 2: Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration for your video adapter

This procedure prevents the display driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the chance that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration turned off.

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.

Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.

Click the Troubleshoot tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combining check box.

Click OK, and then click OK.

Note: This procedure prevents the display driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the chance that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

Additional Technical Information

Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

2. Atari> Temple of elemental Evil.

In this game, when i click the icon, the game only shows the 3 first presentation screens (the one from atari, the one from wizards of the coast and another from Nvidia i think), then it return to the desktop screen in windows. Just it, nothing more. There is no way i can playh this game also.

Actions takenso far:

- 03/01/2006 BIOS BIOS Update - Resolves a BIOS security issue where certain keys are not recognized when using a BIOS password

- 02/21/2006 BIOS BIOS Update - Resolves I/O (Input/Output) conflicts with some devices.

- 02/02/2006 Security Protector Suite? QL PasswordBank Update - Adds support for Firefox® 1.5 and Netscape® 8.0.4 browsers.

- 01/19/2006 DVgate® Software Sony® DVgate Plus? Update - Provides multiple benefits.

- I downloaded and installed again the Nvidia drivers available on the sony website for my model. The same error still happens.

- I could not find drivers for the Geoforce Go 7400 neither on the microsoft or the Nvidia sites.

-I disabled the hardware acceleration as explained above, but the same blue screen error is still happening.

- I tried other, more modern games, and played perfectly.

- I could not find the driver on this site.

Please if you know this issue or the solution, please help me.

Thanks in advance!

Update your video drivers with v84.20 or v84.15 by downloading the files here and replacing the standard INF file with Pieter's mobile INF.