LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell and Alienware Tie the Knot?

sn0wl

dell_logo.gif

Unconfirmed word spreads this morning that Dell as acquired specialty computer maker in a bid to remain on the cutting edge. Speculation is floating around the Internet this morning that computer giant Dell may have purchased computer gaming specialty manufacturer Alienware. Sources have told tech site Cnet that “the purchase has indeed gone down”.

wall1.jpg

Read more.

I assume Dell wants Alienware for the desktop range where they don't do very well performance wise.

The Notebooks are all Clevo based and Dell already have access to the latest GPU's from nVidia and ATI.

A strange combination I dount Dell want AW for the Clevo connection as their lappies will just be another Sager brand.

Or do Dell want the Fancy cases that Alienware supply

So DellWare or Alliedell ?

Guest Matthew

The last two machines I have purchased have been from Alienware and I have absolutely LOVED them. If DELL has purchased Alienware, aside from commiting suicide, I will never buy another Alienware machine. The customer support that DELL offers is completely pathetic. The last time I delt with Dell customer support it took seven months to resolve the issue. That solution only came after I hired a lawyer and threatened lawsuit. If they really did purchase Alienware they will ruin it. This a seriously unfortunate event.

-- Matthew

cool. i mean Dell and Alienware? Does that mix?

I doubt it will be a merger of brands. As Dell and Alienware are both strongs brand names and something like "DellWare" does not sound that cool to me.

Alienware employees will still remain in their positions and run the Alienware webshop as they always did. I also think Alienware's support department will remain the same.

If it isn't broke don't fix it.

But Alienwares tech and driver support is much worse than Dell I believe.

Guest Matthew

That is seriously incorrect. I own 3 Alienware machines and 2 Dell. I have encountered support for both. Dell support is only a slight step above calling a monkey. For both Dell machines I have had to deal with support for very serious problems. The main difference I can see to try to be a little fair is that the only reason I have had to call Alienware was for a very simple issue. My alienware boxes just don't have problmes. Both Dell machines are just awful. Both were top of the line XPS desktop machines at the time. One had major motherboard issues, the other had critical memory problems and a I had to have the video card replaced twice. All work on the systems were done by Dell certified technician, which from my experience I can tell you doesn't mean a whole lot.

Bottom line for me, Alienware, the way it currently is, is perfect. If Dell does anything to it they are just going to screw it up.

-- Matthew

But Alienwares tech and driver support is much worse than Dell I believe.

That is seriously incorrect. I own 3 Alienware machines and 2 Dell. I have encountered support for both. Dell support is only a slight step above calling a monkey. For both Dell machines I have had to deal with support for very serious problems. The main difference I can see to try to be a little fair is that the only reason I have had to call Alienware was for a very simple issue. My alienware boxes just don't have problmes. Both Dell machines are just awful. Both were top of the line XPS desktop machines at the time. One had major motherboard issues, the other had critical memory problems and a I had to have the video card replaced twice. All work on the systems were done by Dell certified technician, which from my experience I can tell you doesn't mean a whole lot.

Bottom line for me, Alienware, the way it currently is, is perfect. If Dell does anything to it they are just going to screw it up.

-- Matthew

I have recently bought a used Alienware Area51 M7700. It is my dream machine. The previous owner scrubbed the HDD and reinstalled the AL XP disc that came with the system and shipped it to me. I also recieved the original Nero DVD with the system as well. Heres my issue, I have NO audio,Video,or network driver for the unit. I was told it has a Nvidea 6800 FX go card in it and Hi def Intel audio.

Anyway Alienware won't supply driver to a second hand owner so I cant get drivers from them for it. I am told (from Alienware) I need the original account number for the machine which The guy I bought it from on the net won't supply. Even Alienware tells me he is the original owner. Is there a way around Alienwares Customer NO service policies?? Without drivers its a 12 pound paper weight! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Don't know what that double posting was for Ga red rider but I can certainly say Dell does not require anything to find and download drivers or manuals from their site. (take that Alienware)

If windows update doesnt have the audio drivers check intel's site.

For graphics try the 81.98 driver with Pieter's mod INF, links can be found by clicking the driver recommend link in my signiture.

:( ok ive had two Alienware systems one was the laptop 51m and the other is the AMD 3500+ Desktop ive had drive problems from the word go with both systems the audio on the laptop and graphics card would lock and crash the system 9600ati ...i have lost count how many times ive called alienware and asked for new driver disks and windows xp to replace my old ones.... ive formatted my hardrive three times on my desktop and flashed the bios ........and this is through alienware tech surport ..... in the end ive sent my desktop back to its camp to be looked at ....it has now arrived back at my home after 3 weeks work being done ...there was no paper work to say what had been done...?????? :P or what had been corrected on the system in the end i had to make a phone call asking what was the problem.....with my desktop ..all drivers were replaced and flashed and new windows xp installed ...how ever they forgot to surpply the XP disks with the returned alienware ........mmmmmmmmm :) so i still await these xp disks and driver cdrom as well 2 weeks later still counting ....as for my laptop alienware 51m ive sold it for a DELL XPS M170.... and ill tell you this its the dogs my games are flying F.E.A.R ...max settings no probs i would not change my DELL XPS for anything.... :( i was a big fan of alienware but its taken them 1 year to change my mind :)

• 4 months later...

this is a old topic now but i have a alienware area 51-m 7700-that big hot,heavy boat anchor of a notebook-

well heres a quick story.....(too lazy to type out the whole fiasco at the moment)

i had the $$ and wanted the "best"..i read up on ONLY The good things about the company..(that was my 1st mistake)..i refused to aknowledge the "bad" reviews,etc i read...

if i could do it again i would have bought something differant....or maybe even the same thing but thru a differant company(widowpc,prostar) which there warranty and support are WAY better than AW's...after research im suprised how AW hasnt been shut down yet...

and YES..AW's supprt is the WORST...the WORST at everything...

:)

Edited by who13

You cant compare AW's customer suport and Dell's support...their both completely useless. So far ive had a 2nd gen XPS desktop and an Area51 m5500.....The XPS worked amazingly for a few days, mabe a week or two, and then while listening to some music it just randomly crashed and wouldnt reboot. Instead of opening it up and checking to see if anything was messed up I called up tech support and they told me to re-install windows! That made me sell it....And buy an Alienware which has had no problems at all. I called up their tech support one day to try them out, and besides the fact that its not free after 30 days, THEY DONT KNOW s***!

i cant compare cause i never owned a dell but from what ive seen and my experiance with getting this thing repaired,etc,etc,etc..

AW blowz.... :)

oh heres a comparison chart by widowpc(who did my repairs for my notebook-they actually were created at 1st to help out of warranty customers of AW)

/alienware/dell

http://www.widowpc.com/2005/06/comparison.php

these guys are good..very helpfull supprt,customer service,etc,etc

:)

Edited by who13

Sorry to say but try comparing This WidowPC laptop with This Alienware laptop.....customize them with the same parts and see for yourself that AW is cheaper.