LaptopVideo2Go Forums

MXM Beta testers wanted!

Ice-Tea

ill pay whatever is needed to help mxm's get into the consumer market more than the curent state of them. it sickens me that they tout it as an upgradable interface and then make it so impossible for us to utilize them.

Whatever is needed, eh?

*books cruise around the world*

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ice-Tea

• Pirate85

• zoomy942

• Teraphy

Guest Guest

well, my friend.. which boat you wanna use:)

i recently got out of the military and ive been doing IT stuff as a civilian, and i have just a few exra bucks lying around..

maybe you should just use a helicopter! hah

Hey guys,

If you wanna help out, here's a thought. Some laptops taht come with Type II cards can actually accomodate Tyoe II's. So, if you feel like it pop the hood and see how much spare room you've got. Also, check the distance between the center points of the mounting holes for the heatsink.

Keep in mind you're forfeiting your warranty!

Oh, and take picture. Lot's of 'm.

:)

Ice-tea

mine has a ton of room around the card. it cought me off gvaurd when i looked at it cause i thought it would be really crammed in there. but alas, its spacious

mine has a ton of room around the card. it cought me off gvaurd when i looked at it cause i thought it would be really crammed in there. but alas, its spacious

Now thát's interesting. Think you can open it up with a ruler in your hand?

Now thát's interesting. Think you can open it up with a ruler in your hand?

sure can. its 11:40 AM here, so at 5PM or so my time, i'll break her open and measure away...

any measurements that would particulalry useful to ya?

sure can. its 11:40 AM here, so at 5PM or so my time, i'll break her open and measure away...

any measurements that would particulalry useful to ya?

Well, yeah. How much room is there to the right and upper side of the card? Are there any obstructions underneath it? What is the distance between the thermal mounting holes (41 or 46 mm?) Basically, check if a Type III card would fit. :)

theres enough room to the upeer right area, but ill upload a pic tonight when i get home.

and it looks like its 46mm.

I'm curious more overly about the upcoming GeForce GO 7x00 series.

Not to offend Ice-Tea but I'd never go ATi not even for an x600. I've used ATi before and they don't have the driver support I want. Yes the x600 might be faster but when it comes to driver support Nvidia is leaps and bounds ahead. Plus I have a USB 2.0 HDD with my Linux installation I use at random and for what I do on Linux I need a top quality X11 driver.

I'm kinda interested in seeing if a MXM Type-II version of the GeForce 6800 Ultra 256mb is available if the 6800 Ultra is faster than the 6600. I'm wondering if the 7x00 models are available yet in MXM Type-II that would be compatible with the Alienware m5500s.

BTW what manufacturer these be from as far as to what type of modifications would be needed in the INFs ore could we use the default stuff from Nvidia already?

BTW shipping costs are NOT an issue. :)

Edited by whitetigerx7

I'm curious more overly about the upcoming GeForce GO 7x00 series.

Not to offend Ice-Tea but I'd never go ATi not even for an x600. I've used ATi before and they don't have the driver support I want. Yes the x600 might be faster but when it comes to driver support Nvidia is leaps and bounds ahead. Plus I have a USB 2.0 HDD with my Linux installation I use at random and for what I do on Linux I need a top quality X11 driver.

I'm kinda interested in seeing if a MXM Type-II version of the GeForce 6800 Ultra 256mb is available if the 6800 Ultra is faster than the 6600. I'm wondering if the 7x00 models are available yet in MXM Type-II that would be compatible with the Alienware m5500s.

BTW what manufacturer these be from as far as to what type of modifications would be needed in the INFs ore could we use the default stuff from Nvidia already?

BTW shipping costs are NOT an issue. :)

Hi There,

I should be getting Type II 7600's :) They're anounced and I am waiting... waiting... waiting :P

About the 6800 on Type II: I don't think it's gonnan happen. Too big, too much power.

Ice-Tea

• 3 weeks later...
Just reading the MXM card forum. Where can I buy the MXM card (Type II)?

The 6600 256MB Type II?

Just say 'I do' :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, new here and all. Anyway, I live in Australia and own a Quanta MW1A and would love to be part of the testing. I know a fair bit about laptops. I would be happy to try any cards better than my own (6600 128mb MXM type II) and would even pay the extra shipping to Australia. If you want, just getting me voice out there.

Mike Check

Guest Guest

Hi posting as a guest as it seems foolish to register for just 1 post! (Although i might if you convince me :-D

FSC Amilo A 1667G owner in UK here. Type II X700 i think

Would be more than happy to test if type III cards fit in amilos, and also if they can take the heat/power.

Let me know at ad@russ85.fsnet.co.uk

Cheers,

Adam

• 1 month later...
Guest Pirate85

x700 in MxM II? Didn´t hear from that - kewl...iam an M1637G (x700 MxM I) Owner from Germany...had the Notebook open and it looks like that there is enough Space to Fit a mxm II Card (eventually mxm III - there is so much space...didn´t look exactly but there is really enough space to left & Right)...as i looked on the Pictures from ure side ice-tea, the motherboard from my 1637g looks exactly like the one it was in your 1667G just the usb ports seems to be in other places...eventually iam interested in an MxM II 6600 or - if it can fit an mxm III 6800...

but if ure guys upgrade ure Notebooks i can only say: use newer coolerpads...the Original Pads are very Bad...i use now Pads from Shin-Etsu (Coolerpads from AKASA PCS-TC-11 Series) - the GraCa works now 3-5 °C cooler...just a little tip :)

Greetz Pirate85...i just register now...looks nice here

Guest Guest

Well, the reports tell me that even a Type III might fit. Not sure how it will do thermally, though.

The Arima Special should fit, too (6800).

Not sure what a x1800 or 6800 would do to the book thermally, but someone's got to try...

That said, I can't offer the cards on the same conditions as outlined under post #1. It's just costing me too much.

New '"terms of use" are outlined under the store page on the site.

Ice-Tea-as-guest

Okay, i will look at ure Page :(

A question more i have: Which MxM Type the x1600 is? :) This Card have nice Test results...and the Thermal Problem should be not so great - and my gilrfriend can have my x700 :) (she only have an x200 :P ) , did u can order the x1600, and if, how much it cost?

mfg Pirate85

EDIT: Okay, she is MxM II i found it on this Board :( (first search, than Ask...i know ^^ - not again)

Edited by Pirate85

Okay, i will look at ure Page :(

A question more i have: Which MxM Type the x1600 is? :) This Card have nice Test results...and the Thermal Problem should be not so great - and my gilrfriend can have my x700 :) (she only have an x200 :P ) , did u can order the x1600, and if, how much it cost?

mfg Pirate85

EDIT: Okay, she is MxM II i found it on this Board :( (first search, than Ask...i know ^^ - not again)

Heheh... To answer your question: I don't have x1600 just yet. As always: hopefully soon. However; be aware, the x200 is not MXM!

Heheh... To answer your question: I don't have x1600 just yet. As always: hopefully soon. However; be aware, the x200 is not MXM!

Yeah, i know, but her notebook has an MxM Connector on The Motherboard...it´s a siemens too, but i don´t know the Model yet (Amilo blabla :P ). the Heatsink is installed, too - just the GraCa-slot is empty :) the only thing i have to do there is to Flash the Bios, disable the x200 and, after installing the x700, make sure the Bios found it...there should be no Problem...at least i hope so :(

thanks for the Fast answer :P , i remember an other interesting thing which was in my notebook - the heatsink which was over the GraCa has 2 Differend holequads...the first 4 holes are used for the x700 (around the Gpu to Fix the heatsink - this are 41mm i think)- the other ones are unused, and have an radius bigger than 41mm... i take a look when i get my N71 back from Store...than i make Photo´s too...it looks interessting :) pls let me Know when u have the x1600 - i try too find out what are in my M1437G and what not :(

Greetz

Edited by Pirate85

Yeah, i know, but her notebook has an MxM Connector on The Motherboard...it´s a siemens too, but i don´t know the Model yet (Amilo blabla :) ). the Heatsink is installed, too - just the GraCa-slot is empty :) the only thing i have to do there is to Flash the Bios, disable the x200 and, after installing the x700, make sure the Bios found it...there should be no Problem...at least i hope so :(

That is very interesting. I would be highly grateful if you could verify the typenumber. I would give my firstborn for a picture of that slot!

Also: could you turn over your notebook and check what it says on the label on the back.

*/excited*/ :P

Also: could you turn over your notebook and check what it says on the label on the back.

*/excited*/ :P

If she come next weekend (i hope so) i take a look :)

and: do u mean my notebook or Her´s? :)

EDIT: and which information u need from the Label?

Edited by Pirate85

If she come next weekend (i hope so) i take a look :)

and: do u mean my notebook or Her´s? :)

EDIT: and which information u need from the Label?

Hers. And yours, while you're at it.

I'm looking for the info on the sticker with 'Amilo' on it...

DSC05980.jpg

EDIT: why is the picture so big??? It's only 400 x 300!

EDIT2: ***"é"&'"'"! No wonder my bandwidth is ebing eaten! The pictures on that review are full res!

######!

Edited by Ice-Tea