LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce Go 7300 - Disabling/Tweaking Turbocache?

oacs

Hi. I have just purchased a Toshiba Satellite P100, which came with 128Mb (dedicated) Geforce Go 7300 video, and 512Mb of RAM.

I then proceeded to upgrade the RAM to 1GB. As soon as I did that, the video properties->advanced->Adapter started showing 512Mb of video ram installed for the Go 7300 card. I take this is "turbocache", and managed by the "turbocache manager" (TCM) from within the driver.

Im not really keen on using "shared" memory for video - 128Mb is more than fine for my needs. I could not find a way of disabing the TCM altogether in the BIOS or advanced properties in the Nvidia control applet (driver version 83.20 from Toshiba).

Does anyone know of any way of disabling or tweaking turbocache?

Thanks.

It only shares the memory if it is needed.

So in normal operation only the dedicated 128MB will be used.

This will overflow into the system RAM if it is needed in Texture hungry games.

Quite a handy feature should you ever play something that has big textures.

I havn't had a chance to play with TCing so can't really offer advice on how to turn it off.

I had a look at a P100 the other day, looks very nice :)

Thanks. I did notice a few artifacts on my screen when I first installed the additional RAM, which I can presume only happens when Turbocache is enabled - could be faulty RAM but in anycase I feel a bit reluctant about using shared memory. So I'll keep looking for a way to tweak it.

PS. The P100 is quite nice, heavily loaded with Toshiba bloatware though so I might do an install from scratch to get the most out of it.

• 1 year later...
Guest Acer Aspire 9305

Hi,

I recently bought a 17ich Acer lappy with the geforce 7300 go installed. I've 2 gb ram.

Where abouts would i go to see the 'properties' of the card and exaclty how much virtual ram it could take up, I thought the card had a maximum 400 mb capacity?

How could yours be showing 512mb all up?

Must i look in the Bios? the windows properties within Vista, only tell me thats its a 128 card no how much extra ram it could possibly take up.

THanks.

Guest Acer Aspire 9305

Also, whats with the simple Nvidia control box for the 7300 Go

Whatever happened to the Nvidia 'setting' or desktop manager that lets you play with:

screen resolution,

colour,

performance and quality,

application settings

etcetc,

Is there, or will there be a new Driver that incorporates that? and shouldn't that be where you'd be able to

tweak turbocache, even with a simple scale, for 'full acceleration' - utalising full physical and 'virtual ram'

or 'no accelaration' utising the 128mb physical ram only, with no memory taken from Normal Ram space.

Also does anyone know whether Acer Aspire 9300 series uses MXM tech? Acer tech support are balls.

Guest Aspire 9305 (2gb)

I recently bought a 17ich Acer lappy with the geforce 7300 go installed. I've 2 gb ram.

Where abouts would i go to see the 'properties' of the card and exaclty how much virtual ram it could take up, I thought the card had a maximum 400 mb capacity?

How could yours be showing 512mb all up?

Must i look in the Bios? the windows properties within Vista, only tell me thats its a 128 card no how much extra ram it could possibly take up.

BUMP..

found it, card properties show 638mb v ram for 7300, wonder how much it will get to with 3 gb ram.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest PedroMRP

I have an Asus laptop with 4GB and turbocache is "eating" 1215MB of memory so i only have 2881MB of available memory... i contacted Asus assistance with no help from them, i really need to find a way to disable turbocache!

I doubt it is. If you read this thread it has been correctly stated that turbocache is only allocated when needed.

Your RAM is more than likely being used by the OS.

You need to find a way to understand that, as disabling turbocache would be as pointless as contacting Asus about a non existent problem.

Guest Guest

if i say that the OS only have 2881MB of memory because the graphic board is using 1215MB of shared video memory he is!

The OS only uses 1340MB of memory, a total of 2942MB...

Explain me if i have 4096MB where is the rest of the memory? Maybe is been used by the turbocache...

Probably used by Vista's cache. It does this passively.

It uses spare memory in advance for what might be needed for quicker access and then frees it up if programs need it.

It won't be video turbocache as explained above, unless it was being actively used.

Guest PedroMRP

if it was vista using the memory it appears a total of 4GB (vista x64) in task manager and the missing memory would be a part of the occupied memory, so something is "eating" that missing memory...

Post a screenshot of your task manager performance tab if you are confused, stating what programs if any are open.

The prints of the list of processes running, the performance tab and the system info

infoznd.jpg

processes.jpg

performance.jpg