LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Go5700 complete failure on Qosmio G15

Guest ezTIPS

Guest ezTIPS

Right now I'm running in VGA mode because I get a higher resolution than in Safe Mode--I hope that suggests the desperation that I'm in.

I suppose it's the newest Windows Update that caused my problem because I haven't changed absolutely anything else in the last 4 months on my Qosmio G15. I'm surprised I can't find any information on this issue, though--it seems I'm the only one somehow. Here goes:

About 2 weeks ago, when I finally got the most recent Windows Update (forgive me for not knowing the exact date--I didn't have internet for a couple months), I started getting weird performance from my Go5700--in StarCraft of all things... It was sort of like a plaid type pattern that would cover the screen for a few seconds and affect performance, then dissappear. A few days later, while doing nothing in particular, the screen just went black--back lit, but w/ no image whatsoever. This same incidence kept increasing in frequency until I couldn't actually load Windows normally. Now I have the added pleasure of a prison of vertical white lines during the Qosmio initial boot screen and a blue prison during the Windows XP boot screen.

I have tried every set of drivers that I could find that might, even out-on-a-limb, support the card (to be honest, I've been out of the hardware scene during the advent of this "unified driver" idea... I don't really know how it works). The only solace I've found is in uninstalling all NVIDIA drivers and, as I said before, running in VGA. But, this is hardly acceptable when I will shortly be using Photoshop very frequently (plus, I just can't stand the horrible performace and the lack of even my humble StarCraft). To be clear, I've tried the bundled Toshiba drivers, the 61.76 (read somewhere they work) and the 71.89 (Windows Error Reporting linked me to these), alas to no avail.

Does anyone have even the slightest idea what I can do here? I'm in Costa Rica so I can't call Tech Support and I have a feeling it's a little harder to find a (reliable) service center here...

why don't you do a clean install of your system

Yeah, so here's how bright I was... I just moved to Costa Rica (for the next half a year or so, maybe longer) and I somehow neglected to bring my CD case w/ all my life preservers...

Did you overwrite the INF with Pieter's mobile INF before installation of the driver? Could you pls. run the NERD tool and post the logfile?

I have tried overwriting the INF file, but there actually isn't an INF w/ that name included in the drivers that Toshiba provides. It doesn't do anything on the 71.89 (which actually says that it can't find hardware for the drivers when I use the InstallShield installer to install them--it does the exact same thing as the Toshiba drivers when I install it through the Device Manager, though... ie, crash horribly).

Here's the log

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

Well you have just explained why your Qosmio always crashes. No Video driver installed. At least not properly (that's what the logfile states).

I suggest now a very clean driver install with Safe mode and all. RemovePahntom Devices blabla.

Before you begin make sure you have an accessable driver folder on your HD (for example C:\7214). Downlaod v72.14 driver from us, download seperately Pieter's mobile INF for that particular driver, overwriting the old INF and install driver with HaveDisk.

It's all explained in the FAQ with picture. pls. have a look :)

Actually, I know that I don't have any video drivers installed--I purposefully uninstalled them because they're what makes the computer crash. [Note: "The only solace I've found is in uninstalling all NVIDIA drivers and, as I said before, running in VGA." -- my first post]

Just for kicks I went ahead and tried the 72.14, but I get the exact same crash as I do w/ every other set of drivers. I DID install it w/ "Have Disk", [as I did all the others] but while the InstallShield extracts it, it ALSO says that it can't find any hardware that uses those drivers.

Any other ideas?

I double checked the mobile INF of 72.14 for DEV_ID 0348 and it exists .

I DID install it w/ "Have Disk", but while the InstallShield extracts
something is wrong here :)

Installshield should not pop up in any case when using the HaveDisk method. Have Disk method and XP driver update dialog should show you the device in the INF (which we provide and with which you have overwritten the old original one) which is comptaible with your actual Hardware ID and that is Goo 5700 (DEV 0348). Then it copies files to system32 blabal as instructed in the INF. No setup.exe. No Installshield. Just the clean and proper way :)

I suspect you still don't use the mobile INF in the driver directory (to really make sure, delete all (regardless of the name) other *.inf files. Anyone else with an idea?

:P

Aight, I should've been more clear:

I hit the .exe file solely to EXTRACT the files to a folder (instead of right clicking and then clicking "Extract files..."). When the files are then extracted, I copy the .INF to the folder. I just tried it again, for kicks, and deleted the other .INF that's in there. When I use the "Have Disk" method, it indeed does show that it's for my card. It was right after the .exe extracts itself when it stops the installation because my hardware "isn't supported"). So, to be clear, I was just extracting using the .exe and then installing through the card's hardware profile. I did try extracting it not using the .exe nevertheless it still crashes.

Clearer?

Oh, I also turned off the auto-restart after a system failure and this is the error number I get, if it helps for anything:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0x804090AA, 0xFA880650, 0xF898034C)

Try all over again :)

Uninstall with Add/Remove Software. Reboot to SafeMode.

Use a driver cleaner (drivercleaner.net) or delete all files manually and while you're in safe mode get rid of the PhantomDevices if any. Rename the folder where you got the driver files extracted (just in case, XP automatically searches in the last known folder) Reboot. Install again with HaveDisk. Reboot. Done. Hopefully.

Well, seems like the Driver Cleaner was the key--I had uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs but DC caught a bunch more files. Hopefully this lasts. I had things working normally once before then they just deteriorated again, so we'll see.

Thanks a lot.

:)

Well i would appreciate if you report back with your findings. Good luck.

The 72.14 crashed not too long after I posted last time, but I installed the 71.89 and it's been smooth ever since.

I wonder why 72.14 fails as it's an MCE driver and should be perfect for your needs. Anybody with an idea?

I wonder why 72.14 fails as it's an MCE driver and should be perfect for your needs. Anybody with an idea?

I too am using a GO5700 but with a Toshiba P20 (Canadian) and the 72.14 crashes my system too as well as the 78.92, 81.98, 82.12, 82.65, and the 84.20. The only that seems to be consistently stable for me is the 83.91. I've had it running for a week and it has only crashed my system once. The other drivers were all crashing my system 2 and 3 times a day. I am also running Windows Media Center and faulty drivers were also causing other problems when running Media Center such as not recording live TV -- Media Center would just freeze and then cause an error message saying the wrong driver was installed for the system. I'm very happy with 83.91 and it seems to work well with Media Center.

Im using the Toshiba laptop with a go5700 card in it. I have frequent and completely sporadic lock up and shut downs of both Everquest and BF2. I have been surfing your site and have the general idea of what i need to do but would like some advice on which driver I should be using. 71.89 or 83.91? Im asking this cause of the previous two who have been using other drivers.

The 71.89 w/ the modified INF seems to be working well for mine. I'd definitely recommend using the Driver Cleaner program to kill your other ones first, though: www.drivercleaner.net

I just went through hell to get mine back into shape, so hopefully this helps.

Oh yeah, I'm on a Qosmio G15, so keep in mind that your laptop may react differently, as it seems they all do...

Guest Guest

Ok, I have used the 71.89 driver and i still had a shut down of BF2. I tried 84.21 and 83.91 and those two shut my system down while even just installing. I saw that 72.14 might be an option but when i click on the link to d/l it it sends me to the nvidia site. Any ideas about this? Also I will try and run a nerd and post the results soon as i find it and d/l it. Thanks for a ton of info so far btw, while i may be up the creek still atleast now i understand the creek better.

John

Guest Guest
Ok, I have used the 71.89 driver and i still had a shut down of BF2. I tried 84.21 and 83.91 and those two shut my system down while even just installing. I saw that 72.14 might be an option but when i click on the link to d/l it it sends me to the nvidia site. Any ideas about this? Also I will try and run a nerd and post the results soon as i find it and d/l it. Thanks for a ton of info so far btw, while i may be up the creek still atleast now i understand the creek better.

John

heres my nerd document

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

Guest ezTIPS

I had the same trouble w/ the crashing during the install. What finally worked for me was totally eradicating the old drivers by uninstalling them through Add/Remove Programs, again through Driver Cleaner (www.drivercleaner.net), booting in Safe Mode and installing from there.

As for DLing them--at the NVIDIA, search for the number that you want and you'll find it.

I'd know what you are smoking.... :)

This is surely from laptopvideo: http://download.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/70series/7214.exe.

And after decompressing it you surely can replace the original Inf with Pieter's one:

http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/70series/7214inf/nv4_disp.inf

Edited by zipper