LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problems with Qosmio F20 and EA Games

kano

Hi everybody, im new in this forum and i hope you can help me. :)

My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio F20-103, it has an nvidia go 6600. My problem is that i just got The Godfathers game, i install it and run it, i can see an EA screen then i can hear a train and suddenly the game crashes to the desk, it says is a problem with de godfather.exe, im sure its because of the drivers.

I tried 7970,8302 and the last 8421 drivers, i have the same problem with all the drivers.

Can anybody helps me?

Thank you! :)

Edited by ®®®

Are you sure it is graphics card driver? Try updating your other drivers as well - mainboard, soundcard ...

I can see an EA screen then i can hear a train and suddenly the game crashes to the desk
I'm surprised it didn't blow when the dreaded EA logo popped up. :)

Can you find a config file for the game, and what refresh rate are you running?

The game probably doesn't like 61 HZ refresh rate or any strange resolution.

Does the game actually go full screen into the game for a bit, or just show a load screen thing, go black, and then back to the desktop?

Have you tried re-installing the game?

I would check to see how to manually edit the game config files but I don't have time on this dial up right now, will worry about that when I get back, but you can search for stuff on the game's site.

Guess EA ruined this game too, you might not be able to get it to run after EA's programmers got their hands on it. :)

Hi again and thanks for your answers!

I dont think its because the other drivers, toshiba dont use to actualize it, the drivers are from the past august.

Yeah i tried to re-install it twice but it didnt work. Im using the 84.21 drivers again, the game goes full screen showing the tipical EA screen with a text and then when you think is loading it goes back to the desktop, now without a windows error (thegodfather.exe) and without listening the train i told you :)

I couldnt find a config file but im running my laptop at 60Hz with a resolution of 1280x800, its a widescreen laptop 15.4"

Its maybe because of the resolution or the refreshrate, one friend tried it in his normal PC and it works perfectly, maybe i should try something, i dont know.

Do you know a nice game-site to ask there? :)

Thank your very much for all!

Edited by kano

First check your refresh rate, it should be set to 60 HZ.

Right click on your desktop, then go to properties>settings>advanced>monitor.

It should be set to 60HZ for your monitor.

Then go to the tab with your graphics card name on it, then go to refresh rate overrides.

Set them all to 60 HZ then try to run the game.

Also you need to check to see what resolution the game is running in a config file for the game, EAs site will say where that is or should.

Do other games run?

Go to start>run>DXDIAG and see if there are any file errors and run the graphics tests.

When I get back from vacation I will try to look on EAs site to figure out which file contains the game configeration settings.

Yeah, all my refreshrates are ok, the monitor refresh and the nvidia, all set to 60Hz.

A question, the game use the same resolution as the desktop? i change my standart res. (1280x800) to a normal res. 1024x768 and it didnt work... so i cant find the EA file with the video options, seems to be coded or something. The game brings a program called "EAsy info" that cheks your hardware, this program shows that all my hardware is compatible except the "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600", the nvidia drivers "6.14.10.8421" and the sound drivers "5.12.01.5240" it says that: "The compatibility of this hardware is unknown. No additional info. was provided" I cheked the dxdiag and every sound and video test was fine, it also says that the nv4_disp.dll is not digitally firmed, so its not a WHQL driver :)

Thanks 4 all your help Bill :)

Everything seems to check out.

Do other games/demos from EA run?

Give me a link to the demo and I might check it out when I get back home on my broadband.

If it is just looking for a WHQL driver its not going to find one.

Either NV screwed up the 6600 go/drivers for it (the game will probably run on my laptop) or (most likely) EAs programmers had their chance to make it only run on certain configerations because they are stuck up that way and don't care about their customers.

When I have time I will tell you about 3dAnalyzer which might be able to trick the game into thinking you have a different graphics card, although it doesn't work with BF2. :)

Packing up to go home...

Hey!

I did not find a godfather demo im sorry :)

The truth is that BF2 worked great for me, i used to play it a lot in my laptop, i had to try several drivers but i think with a 7x.xx drivers worked great but godfather wont work with it so maybe i need to w8 for a new release i do not know! :)

I will try every posibility u tell me, i dont think it is going to be so hard to get it, unless i hope, got faith :P

Thanks again for all, how were ur hollidays?

Guest Alexei

sorry for my english :)

i go back to original driver from toshiba

Installierter Treiber nv4_disp (6.14.01.4336 - nVIDIA Detonator 43.36)

and the game starts

i will next play it and see what happenes

my system

XP service pack 2 all updates

Laptop Toshiba Sattelite 5200-903 Video go5600 2,2GHz CPU

i hope for the solution for new dreveres :)

Guest TerraFoX

Hi Guys,

actually i have the same problem. I installed the 84.21 driver from this site. Then I start Godfather (in Fullscreen), an EA Games Logo pops up, after then it crashes to desktop.

I thought the problem was directx, however after i reinstalled directx the game still didn't work.

Then i managed to install the original driver(ver.7.1.5.0) of my laptop...

..it ist an medion 95500 (md95500) with 1,7 GHz

and a GeForce Go 6600.

Windows XP SP2

After i did that, the game worked! But there are a lot games that doesnt work quite well with my old version,

like BF2!

I would be very grateful when you guys find out the problem!

Guest Alexei

i tested 71.44 and it starts and works fine

and saw that VMR disabled was i enable it and the game won't start

i install 84.21 and disable VMR and game starts and works

but the intro don't work

:)

i tested 71.44 and it starts and works fine

and saw that VMR disabled was i enable it and the game won't start

i install 84.21 and disable VMR and game starts and works

but the intro don't work

:)

84.25 is the newest Version..perhaps it works...

Alexei, when you disable VMR, do your video files work or you get a blank screen? And when VMR is enabled, how is the video playback quality?