LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Seagate 160GB Mobile HDD

sn0wl

momentus_1_thumb.jpg

If you demand to be mobile and still have the hard drive space you need, then you should look at the Seagate Momentus 5400.3. It's the first mobile drive to be equipped with a full 160GB of disk space, and still retains great speed.

Model Numbers

• 40GB: ST940815A (Ultra ATA/100)
  • 60GB: ST960815A (Ultra ATA/100)
  • 80GB: ST980815A (Ultra ATA/100)
  • 100GB: ST9100828A (Ultra ATA/100)
  • 120GB: ST9120822A (Ultra ATA/100)
  • 160GB: ST9160821A (Ultra ATA/100)

Read more.

News from: Dailytech

None of these are 7200RPM so while capacity is greater than Hitachi, performance is slower.

Not necesarily, the 160GB drive has a higher bit density meaning more data is taken off the platter per rotation than the 100GB drive.

So performance will probably be quite similar :)

I had the same opinion as Almighty1 , but when i took a peek at the HDTach benchmarks posted at techgage.com, i was quite surprised.

hdtach.jpg

I had the same opinion as Almighty1 , but when i took a peek at the HDTach benchmarks posted at techgage.com, i was quite surprised.

You doubt my abilities :)

More data per track means more data per rotation.

You doubt my abilities :)

More data per track means more data per rotation.

Hmm, but doesn't the higher capacity drives have more platters as well? I mean even for desktop drives, the slower RPM ones are always slower even if the density was higher.

The 160GB drive uses 2 platters with 4 heads (sides) same as the 100GB and 60GB 7200RPM drives.

If it's in a 9mm high case then it can have a max of 2 platters, 12mm drives can have 3 platters

So as long as the extra data is added per track and not adding more tracks this will mean a faster speed per rotation.

I remember my 4GB 10KRPM Cheetah SCSI hard drive with I think 15M/sec continuous speed.

This is now slow for 4200RPM drives, as the data per track has increased untold.

Interesting. I think it really depends since I think Fujitsu's 4200rpm drives are supposed to be pretty fast too.