LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS M170 w Go 7800 GTX 256MB and 30" LCD

Raphael

I purchased a Dell XPS M170 w the Go 7800 GTX and was promised by the Salesman that it would run with my new 30" Dell Display, well it doesn't since the card isn't a dual link card.

The question is will there come a new Graphic card for laptops in the near future (MXM III) supporting Dual Link DVI???

Or can you clock/tweak/do magic so It´ll work :)

Thanks,

Raphael

Shouldn't it atleast run that at a lower refresh rate?

What exactly can you run on the display through DVI and VGA with your current card?

As far as I am aware that laptop is NOT MXM, none of Dell's current laptops are I don't think.

But you probably will be able to upgrade that card in the future, atleast to a newer 7 series or maybe a GF 8 seriers card later this year.

7900 GTX go might be dual link.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off the phone with DELL XPS support, they had talked two their level two technicians who confirmed the 7800 Go GTX does not support Dual Link DVI, it has the port but not the capability. They are now aware of the issue, and it is a big ticket item so they are concerned. He say there will probably be a solution at some point in the form of maybe a driver, or a new video card. I pressed on the topic of when saying they would blame NVIDIA, NVIDIA would blame Dell he said he thinks it will be resolved eventually. As much as I wanted to blow up about $%^#@ cards not doing what they were supposed to do, in the end I didn't thinking it wouldn't help. Ill see what happens this weekend, and hope for someone to make some progress other wise I'm going to return it on Monday.

I purchased a Dell XPS M170 w the Go 7800 GTX and was promised by the Salesman that it would run with my new 30" Dell Display, well it doesn't since the card isn't a dual link card.

The question is will there come a new Graphic card for laptops in the near future (MXM III) supporting Dual Link DVI???

Or can you clock/tweak/do magic so It´ll work :)

Thanks,

Raphael

Shouldn't it atleast run that at a lower refresh rate?

What exactly can you run on the display through DVI and VGA with your current card?

As far as I am aware that laptop is NOT MXM, none of Dell's current laptops are I don't think.

But you probably will be able to upgrade that card in the future, atleast to a newer 7 series or maybe a GF 8 seriers card later this year.

7900 GTX go might be dual link.

I have been a Dell laptop user for many years. In my experience, when they have these "major issues" that they are "very concerned about and are working diligently to solve", you can expect a solution in 6 months to 1 year

What is dual link? I thought it was allways possible to run a laptop on an external monitor, through VGA or DVi. Am I wrong? Can´t you just lower the resolution?

Edited by stereoviewer

I have never tested DVI on a super high res screen (well never used DVI period yet, will though when I get my desktop and nice high res LCD panels), but most cards are only single link DVI, except certain newer ones.

On single link there is not enough bandwidth to run 1920x1200 or higher, or mabye it is just higher than 1920x1200.

Dual link DVI uses what it says, 2 links, so you can run 2560x1600 displays at 60 Hz refresh or higher.

Single link should actually run the 30inch at maybe 10 fps, but you need dual link to get a real framerate.

Analog shouldn't have this problem, should be able to go up to atleast 2048x1536@ 60 Hz, even back in the day on a GF3, don't know if newer cards support 2560x1600, but either way you want to use DVI when possible.

What is dual link? I thought it was allways possible to run a laptop on an external monitor, through VGA or DVi. Am I wrong? Can´t you just lower the resolution?

You'll only be able to run the monitor @1280x800 resolution with one DVI channel.

The Dell doesn't have analog inputs, so DVI is only option.

You may need to investigate how DVI works.

You may want to take it back to the salesman and ask him how he can get the 2560x1600 to work as promised on the XPS M170, this would be funny to watch.

Once again a useless sales man selling goods he has no idea about.

I am pretty sure he can run monitors up to atleast 1600x1200 on a single link DVI. Now the 30 inch Dell might be picky as to what it will run though...