LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Running at 960x600?

Guest nagromo

Guest nagromo

The title says it all; I'm trying to enable the resolution 960x600 on my computer; I'm using XP Pro, a Go 6800, and the 84.25 drivers on an Inspiron 9300. I have an insanely huge list of resolutions including weird ones I'd never use like 1366x768, but I don't have 960x600 available, which seems like a good resolution.

The reason I want that resolution is because I'd like better framerates in Oblivion in widescreen, but I don't like the scaling when I run at low resolutions like 1024x640. 960x600 is exactly half my native resolution, so it should look better.

Thanks,

nagromo

Guest nagromo

Well, I feel stupid...

After googling some more, trying both ReForce and RivaTuner and failing, I discovered that it's built into the driver in "Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->GeForce Go 6800->Screen Resolutions and Refresh Rates".

Sorry about cluttering up the forum.

Or in other words 'Custom resolution' ?

No worries about clutter, may help others with same problem.

Or in other words 'Custom resolution' ?

No worries about clutter, may help others with same problem.

Then comes the question... is the custom resolution a hidden tab? I use the Dell 78.51 driver and this tab is nowhere to be found. *scratches head* This resolution would be my LCD screen best friend. 1920x1200 /2

I tried NVTweak to enable the hidden tabs... but still no go. :)

Dell has probably hidden it with a tweak in their INF.

Have a look in the registry for this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak

In here should be some lines look for this one

NvCplCustomResConfig

If it's not there add it and set it to zero (0)

and this

ShowCustomModes

Change or add this line and set to one (1)

and

NoPages

Set to zero (0)

Now you'll have what you need.

NO need to reboot, just re-enter the Control panel and you should have a custom resolution page.

Or just use a driver with the modded INF and all of it will be enabled by default :)

Enjoy

Guest nagromo
Then comes the question... is the custom resolution a hidden tab? I use the Dell 78.51 driver and this tab is nowhere to be found. *scratches head* This resolution would be my LCD screen best friend. 1920x1200 /2

I tried NVTweak to enable the hidden tabs... but still no go. :)

It's not a tab; it's a button under the "Screen Resolutions and Refresh Rates" tab. If it isn't there, check the registry like mobilenvidia said.

I'd really reccommend upgrading from Dell's drivers to an 84 series from this site, though; after I did, I got a 20% increase in my 3dmark scores!

960x600 is really nice; it's a pretty low resolution, but it looks way better than 1024x640 and most other low resolutions. It also gives me much better framerates in Oblivion (enough for smooth battles).

1280x800 is another good resolution (1920/1.5), and the scaling isn't too bad there. I'd just like some higher framerates, though.

I wish you could change resolutions in-game, though; I love to travel the countryside at 1920x1200 because it looks so good, low framerates and all, but there's no way I'll fight like that.

It's not a tab; it's a button under the "Screen Resolutions and Refresh Rates" tab. If it isn't there, check the registry like mobilenvidia said.

I'd really reccommend upgrading from Dell's drivers to an 84 series from this site, though; after I did, I got a 20% increase in my 3dmark scores!

My problem is that the "Screen Resolutions and Refresh Rates" tab is AWHOL. I'm adding some keys to the registry right now... :)

The problem I get with 84.2x drivers is that I encounter stuttering while I play videos. It appears on all videos 480, 720 or 1080 same issue... 300ms freeze every 5 seconds. :)

My thread about the stuttering with 84.2x drivers.

Dell has probably hidden it with a tweak in their INF.

Have a look in the registry for this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak

I added and moded the keys there... still nogo... then noticed the Menu editing section... the missing Screen resolution tab was parked there. One tick and one drag and drop later... I was able to add the custom resolution that I needed. :P

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Fabrice Roux

Glad to see another happy camper :)

Modded INF will always have that enabled and many other tweaks as well.

Enjoy