LaptopVideo2Go Forums

!contest! find the cheapest mxm III laptop

__-_-_-__

ok, it's enough. I'm tired of the stupid notebook vendors that cannot answer my questions. What I want is very simple: the cheapest mxm III notebook that can be upgraded to a geforce go 7800 gtx without power and thermal problems. Whois able to find the cheapest? the contest has began. thanks for your future help.

Edited by __-_-_-__

...that can be upgraded to a geforce go 7800 gtx without power and thermal problems...

I don't mean to rain on your parade here. But as it has not been done yet, there is really no way of knowing. It would simply be a case of 'your guess is as good as mine' or 'it will probably not be a problem'. Alternatively, wait for a native new gen high end MXM III like the new Amilo. Don't know when h"ll be available, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marcoland
I don't mean to rain on your parade here. But as it has not been done yet, there is really no way of knowing. It would simply be a case of 'your guess is as good as mine' or 'it will probably not be a problem'. Alternatively, wait for a native new gen high end MXM III like the new Amilo. Don't know when h"ll be available, though.

img1508small1ri.jpg

This is an Amilo A1667G and that card is a X700 on "MXM I" certified. BTW, the problem should be just the dimensions, right Ice-Tea?

img1508small1ri.jpg

This is an Amilo A1667G and that card is a X700 on "MXM I" certified. BTW, the problem should be just the dimensions, right Ice-Tea?

Well, there's speculation tha the 1667 can handle Type III's mechanically.

2 other points: can it handle the heat, can it handle the power.

Guest marcoland
Well, there's speculation tha the 1667 can handle Type III's mechanically.

2 other points: can it handle the heat, can it handle the power.

It can officially handle MXM I (I suppose using the deafult heatsink and supply)

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.it/Resources/181/855665833.pdf (english)

The consumption and the dissipation of a x700 is unknown (at least for me... :) )... anybody knows?

It can officially handle MXM I (I suppose using the deafult heatsink and supply)

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.it/Resources/181/855665833.pdf (english)

The consumption and the dissipation of a x700 is unknown (at least for me... :) )... anybody knows?

Theoretically, the regualted power to all types of MXM should be the same (I think). Only the non-regulated battery power is variable. So as long as it doesn't bring the battery to it's knees, you're set.

Then again, ther's no telling how close they followed the MXM standard.

These are the available powers for the 1667

Power System

output: 20 V DC, 120W/6A, 90W/4,5A or 65W/3.25A

depending on CPU type

Cool!

But not really relevant :) That only defines how long it's gonna take until the battery is drained. Not how much it's voltage will drop under load. But I don't expect problems there.

Guest marcoland

that 7600 looks just like my 6600

Including the points described above? Because then it's not MXM :)

whoa.. thats what i get for getting excited before readin all the info. its upsidedown, which mine is not...

false alarm.. well, at least i have MXM and not some crazy other stuff