LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Looking to replace 6600 with 7600

zoomy942

I love my notebook, and i love MXM even more. but i am having a heck of a time finding a way to get a 7600 to replace my 6600.

I emailed with Sabio Digital about replacing my 6600 with a 7600 since the MXM's will match. I was told that the power requirements were too differnet, but i was under the impression that MXM made it all fun and games to toss in another MXM...

this is total bull since MXM makes the whole point of upgrading an option!

If you have an MXM-II 6600 and the 7600 is an MXM-II then I see no reason it shouldn't work. The MXM standard includes power ratings it needs to comply to as well....

If you have an MXM-II 6600 and the 7600 is an MXM-II then I see no reason it shouldn't work. The MXM standard includes power ratings it needs to comply to as well....

Yes, but they are not linked to a MXM Type. Basically, the manufacturer can do whatever he wants even though what he does should be available as information.

But I agree, it should work.

I was under the impression that to comply to the different MXM standards they had to be able to supply a certain amount of power...

I was under the impression that to comply to the different MXM standards they had to be able to supply a certain amount of power...

Not at all. The motherboard is supposed to tell the MXM how much power it can deliver and how much hea it can handle, nothing more (I think).

That means they can have a Type III slot with a 6200 mounted and a power budget of 10W if they want.

Heh... that's useful... what a wonderful, widely accepted, universal standard MXM has turned out to be :)

dear mattman take nvidia and sabio digital to the courts! they say it's upgradeble, you can't upgrade! take them to the courts and retrive your money!

Heh... that's useful... what a wonderful, widely accepted, universal standard MXM has turned out to be :)

Give it some time. The new gen MXM GPUs are hardly on the market yet. That Sabio will probably benifit from it too. And they didn't say to what it can be upgraded, did they?

nope. they just said they had no info at this time. the little bit they gave me, i believe, a canned response.

Hi everybody,

I'm in the same case, I have an Ahtec Signal 259 MXM Pentium M 760 (Uniwill 259 EN3), with an hybrid technology, sharing a nVidia Geforce Go 6600 an an integrated Intel, my 6600 is Type II (with 256 Mb), and I want to upgrade it to a 7600 MXM, wich I believe is a MXM Type II card too. I asked to the technical staff of Ahtec (an ensambler spanish brand), who have a new line of laptops mounting the 7600, and they told me that now is imposible to upgrade my 6600 to the 7600 they mount on their 17" laptops, because of the different thermal solution :) Now, ¿isn't it supposed to be the same on all MXM Type II cars? Disknowledge from the guys of Ahtec?

Thanks, and sorry for the bad english :)

I thought that was the case, but it seems that all that is specified is the size of the card, the connector, and the way the heatsink bolts on.

Not very good for upgrading it seems.

I thought that was the case, but it seems that all that is specified is the size of the card, the connector, and the way the heatsink bolts on.

Not very good for upgrading it seems.

Might be just that..

Rubalvar, I have the same laptop as you (Uniwill 259 EN3), rebranded by a company called ABS. ABS informed me when I talked to them about this, that indeed the 7600 in it's current state is not compatible with our computers, however, they said that Uniwill is currently testing a model to see if they can get it to work with our computers so as to offer it as an upgrade (something about the mobo or something I believe). They made a small post in the ABS official forums about it:

http://www.abs.com/forum/forums/TopicInfo....ID=4&topicID=91

Rubalvar, I have the same laptop as you (Uniwill 259 EN3), rebranded by a company called ABS. ABS informed me when I talked to them about this, that indeed the 7600 in it's current state is not compatible with our computers, however, they said that Uniwill is currently testing a model to see if they can get it to work with our computers so as to offer it as an upgrade (something about the mobo or something I believe). They made a small post in the ABS official forums about it:

:) Thanks!

:) Yea, thanx!

I've posted on the Uniwill 259EN3 Support Forum about this:

http://www.uniwill.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=689

I'm planning as well to contact with Uniwill directly to ask for it, because there are many users of this laptop (under many different brands) that I suppose are asking for the same, and IT WAS MARKETED as upgreadable. It's only two months ago since I bought this laptop, I'm very happy with it and I woldn't want to have to replace it just for the GPU.

Edited by Rubalvar

i have a feeling this just goes into the makers being unsure about whats going to be available. they couldnt say that it will be upgradabe if they arent sure or if they wouldnt be able to hook us up with standalone cards/