LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem changing screen resolution

dagurasu

Hello - I have an I8100, SXGA, GeForce2 Go 32MB, running 81.98 driver with modded INF. The driver is very stable, when I run at 1400x1050 all is well. But, when I try to change to a lower resolution, instead of the display filling the screen, it just shrinks down and leaves a black "frame" around it. This happens regardless of what resolution I select. :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this problem was covered somewhere, I did try to search.

Thanks!

-Doug

Your laptop is running the lower resolution as it is supposed to appear (with black bars), stretching the image will distort it, unless you run say 700x525 or something.

To enable the strech option you need to go to the nvidia control panel and find your LCD, then right click and go to device adjustments and set it to "display adapter scaling".

You can then enable the nview desktop manager if you want to set a hotkey to instantly turn scaling on and off, that is what I have.

Nvidia has decent guides for their control panels.

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/84.25/8...Users_Guide.pdf

That will tell you how to change it complete with pictures if you are lost. (page 37 for scaling options)

If you want to delve into the desktop manager which has as many, many features, you can read this 257 page guide.

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/84.25/8...Users_Guide.pdf

Bill - Thanks for the reply, but my problem is a little different than what you discussed.

My current resolution, 1400 x 1050, is a 4:3 ratio. When I try to convert to another 4:3 ratio (such as 800 x 600), the display shrinks proportionately, and I get a black frame around the display (not black bars). Do you why when I switch between various 4:3 ratio resolutions, the display does not fill the whole screen? It used to work before I switched to 81.98 drivers. But, I am not going back to older drivers, because I had many other problems (BSODs, spontaneous reboots, etc).

Thanks again,

Doug

EDIT: OK, I tried your suggestion re adapter scaling setting and it worked! Thanks!!

:)

Edited by dagurasu

Hehe, atleast try my suggestions before you try proving me wrong.

The black frame effect, if that is what you insist on calling it (well it is a more accurate description), is normal. Your screen has 1400x1050 pixels and anything less than that your grpahics card HAS to scale up, distorting the image.

Before I go, that fixed aspect ratio scaling, if you intend to use it, has caused my laptop to lock up before, atleast when I was on a GF 440 go.

So be warned before you experiment with that one. (although it might be driver dependent and work fine for you)

Hi again Bill,

Thanks for being so easy on me. :)

Just to provide a little more info on my "issue": Before I changed the setting as per your advice, a certain game I was trying to run would try to change my resolution, and when it couldn't, it narrowed down the display and made the black bars on all sides, and the display was not "right" (i.e. there was a greenish cast to everything.) Now that I made the change you suggested, this game runs properly (and I can now change the resolution manually as well, of course). I hope I do not have the problems you mentioned - so far, so good.

Thanks again,

Doug

I used to have the same laptop for work... The solution is in the BIOS... there is an option that stretch or not the image. By default it's on so all the 4/3 resolutions fill the screen.