- attached monitor number is in the format of just a single number. Ex: 2

- format is one of the following

• standard
  • clone
  • hspan
  • vspan
  • dualview

- device is optional, to specify what takes primary and secondary

Available values are A - analog, D - digital display, T - TV. The best way to explain is by example.

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 clone DA AA

This line will set display number 1 in clone mode, setting the first attached [D]igital display as primary and first attached [A]nalog display as secondary.

You could have multiple digital displays and they would be labeled: DA DB DC successively.

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 clone DA DB

This line will set display number 1 in clone mode, setting the first attached [D]igital display as primary and second attached [D]igital display as secondary.

Thx for that!

So for using this in Laptop + TV-Out in dualview, I should use this:

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 dualview DA DB

or what's it for TV ? is it T, or A or something ? (just to be sure;))

What about TV out?

Does it use the AA numbering scheme?

Its really nice to finaly see this info posted, can already see a few applications for this.

That quad monitor setup I have at school could benifit from desktop monitor switching shortcuts.

Yes, TV would be TA,TB... as well. Sorry, I edited the above.

Teraphy, Bill, are these command lines working for you ?

I tried them, but nothing happened..

Other command lines do work (for changing the resolution)

This is what I tried:

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 dualview DA AB

to set dualview on my laptop + analog screen

hope it's not a stupid typo or something :)

I think you want this.

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 dualview DA AA

Pretty sure you don't have 2 analog monitors plugged up there.

I'll test it when I find the time, have to plug my camcorder up, do some cable modding, or move the laptop somewhere else ever since the s-video input on the TV broke. (so I can test a TV as second screen)

Or I could lug down a CRT to test, but im not gonna do that right now either.

didn't mention that the A, B, C,... was for digital displays only!

thx! (it works;))

For furthur explanation... I think there was a misunderstanding. Bill stated it correctly. If you have two analog displays it would be AA, AB where AB is the second display. But one digital and one analog is AA, DA. Ergo one digital one TV is DA, TA. Stepping it up a notch one digital 2 TV would be DA, TA, TB.

Thanks! I understand now!

sorry for teh misunderstanding :)

trying to keep my english as good as possible :)

Guest dev_null

Hi,

I don't have a laptop problem, so this may be slightly OT, but it fits well into this thread:

I want to switch from single monitor (analog) to clone (analog and TV) and back using the command line. My computer is a medion MD 8800, if that matters.

I tried

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 clone TA AA

but nothing happens. If I switch from the nview GUI my monitor briefly blanks when I switch, but here... nothing. And when I call up the GUI nothing in the settings has changed. What am I doing wrong here?

Another thing: does anyone know how I can call up the nview GUI from the command line instead of using the desktop context menu?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried changing the 1 to a 2? I don't know exactly the monitor number in your case.

Side note: You wrote having the TV as the primary display. Switching AA/TA will make the analog (AA) the primary display.

I don't know of anyway of pulling nview up from the command line. Here is how you pull up the TV controls:

rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,launchtvapplet

Once nice thing is activate the nview desktop manager and go to the hotkeys menu, and add the "display scheme menu" hotkey.

When you hit the correct key combination a menu will pop up with most of the display mode settings (clone, single monitor, dualview, ect), and you can switch at will, and even add ones not on the list.

That is for those having problems with the command line settings.

Guest Guest

It seems that medion has messed something up with this graphics card. With the menu bar I can use the cycle display function (which partially solves my problem), but not the clone function (which would be nice to have). I'll look for updated drivers, but I have had problems with this before. Maybe I should just make a backup of my whole windows dir and try it.

Ok, it was the driver. With the latest official driver the command line works as it should. But I have the impression that now the video playback is a bit shaky, it seems to stop for just a few frames every second or so. But I'll have to look at it a bit closer.

I just tested with clone and dualview with my LCD and TV attached (DA and TA) using setview 1 and it works just fine, once it knows my TV is attached that is... (went into menu and hit detect)

Currently still on 82.10 with John's INF, has custom Dell tweaks but I doubt they are necessary to work correctly.

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 clone DA TA

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 dualview DA TA

Also just used this to change back to singleview, worked just fine on first try.

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 0 standard DA

For those curious as to weather or not to use 0, 1, 2, ect. it is the number of DA, AA, TA, DB, AB, TV, ect you have have minus one. (or otherwords it starts counting from 0 up)

Basically only use 0 and 1 unless you have some crazy triple, quad or more monitor setup, which I will be testing it on shortly. (that will get very complicated, 2xclone or 2xdual view or 1 clone and one hor span or some crazy stuff like that)

• 4 months later...

Does it depend on the driver or hardware, which combinations of Monitors work?

Example 1:

Cloning works on my Laptop Screen and my external TFT Display (digital via DVI) like a charm. But I cannot enable the TV as a third monitor (TV screen blinks for a short second, but then no picture). :)

Example 2:

Cloning with TV works only with the internal display. Not with the external TFT Display. :)

Can I change that? Or do I have to live with it?

You guys really don't know what your hardware is capable of. The card is only designed to run 2 monitors at a single time, not 3 or 4. (even if it has connections for more)

Also this is the fix you need to put in the INF to fix your problem in example 2.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6614

Next time use the search feature.

You can also search for some hardware to split a VGA monitor connection if you need 3 or 4 monitors, or find a docking station to plug a second card into. Sony is too stupid to offer that functionality though.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/offhome/dh2go/home.cfm

There is an example of a possible solution to your 1st problem, curtesty of a search engine called google that you should become familiar with.

A modern TV should have a way to accept a VGA connection, if not you could built a trasncoder to RGB, or just get a new TV or another external desktop monitor.

Edited by ®®®

• 2 weeks later...

hi all!

i've got a problem:

i got a laptop-display and a TFT (analog connected to the laptop).

and all i ever desired to be happy is to get dualview with the TFT as primary device!

i allready tried:

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 2 dualview AA AA

and

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 2 dualview AA DA

and all i get is a singleview on my TFT

i have have to admit: i'm a complete novice at tweakin' infs and all that :)

so i dont really know where to put that command line stuff (i typed it in at start->run - cmd)

i allready installed the 92.91 driver from your site but i can't install the additional INF for that:

something seems to be wrong with the nv4_mini.sys

someone PLEASE HELP ME!! so i don't have to die in unhappiness.... :)

cu guys

regards talKi

Edited by taLKi

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6614

First I think you need that tweak if you don't have it already for using the external as primary.

Second it would be this code I believe. Notice it is 1 instead of 2, start counting displays from 0.

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setview 1 dualview AA DA

Lastly once you have the tweak in order you can switch to that mode from the regular display properties menu or nvidia control panel.

IT WORKS !!!! I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! IT WORKS PERFECTLY !!! DELICIOUS

THANK YOU MAN!!!!!

what an honor to get your advise!!!

:( :thumbsup: :P :) :) :) :( :P

THANK YOU!!!

you rock man! :P

cyALL@tweakin' those freaky INFs....

taLKi

Edited by taLKi

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Any body try this method under VISTA and work fine ?

Now, I try it under VISTA, but it doesn't work.

Thanks~

• 3 months later...
Guest bhaushedbale

Hi Man,

This is very nice articel but can you tell me is this NVCPL.dll apis will work with Vista or not

I tried but it not work.

Please reply me on b.shedbale@zensar.com

Very argent.

Regards

Bhausaheb

Guest noflooder

hey there, thx for that howto, works perfect.

yet, is there any chance to include display settings in that line?

I have a laptop and one VGA TFT connected as well one LCD-TV, which also has a vga connector.

Now, if I plug the tft out and the lcd in, i run the .bat to change the laptopdisplay to primary and vga to secondary (DA AA).

What I want it to do is to change the resolution of the vga connected device to 1366*768 an 60hz and if i run the other .bat to change it back to my standard tft settings (1280 and 70hz). possible?

thx a lot!

To the Vista questions that I missed: I don't have Vista so I haven't done any testing on this matter.

@noflooder, I had to run through my old notes on this one. I swear I wrote this on here once but I can't find it.

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setmode [display #] [width] [height] [color depth] [freq]

rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,dtcfg setmode 1 1366 768 32 60

Your connected display probably will be 1.