LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best Driver for Geforce4 4200 Go?

Guest dimitris

Guest dimitris

Guys,

I have a Dell Latitude D800 with a Geforce4 4200 Go. Over the past year I have used almost all of the drivers Pieter has posted on his site. I still have the standby problem with any 5x.xx I've tried.

Could anyone tell me if he has a Geforce4 4200 Go (preferably on a Dell machine) and which driver/inf works for him without any resuming from standby problem, or ghostly fadeout problem when shutting down or any other problems for that manner?

Currently I have to use either 44.87 (latest official from Dell for my laptop) or 47.12 (as posted from Pieter) so as not to have a standby problem.

I really want to use the 5x series drivers.

Thanx in advance,

Dimitris

Dell Latitude D800

Pentium-M 1,6Ghz

1920x1200

1024 MB RAM

60GB Hard Drive @7200rpm

Geforce4 4200 Go 64MB

Dell Latitude C840

Pentium-4 M 2,0Ghz

1600x1200

512MB RAM

40GB Hard Drive @5400 rpm

Geforce4 440 Go 32MB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oVan

• DeaconSix

• ®®®

• Bill

Top Posters In This Topic

Dimitris, I have _exactly_ the same machine as your D800.

By now I've tried them all, the 50-series & 60-series, and I've know reverted to 40-series:

My latest working driver is 45.84 and it's perfect: no lid closure prob, no standby issue, no hybernation issue, dualview works, etc.

I know the 50 & 60's are faster but as you've experienced, they have a lot of probs with our setup.

I really doubt we'll get 50's running correctly, maybe the 60's in the future.

Good luck!

oVan

Hi

Search for posts of our member "oVan" from Belgium. He has a D800 and tried out different versions. Currently he uses some 4x.xx driver , but just yesterday i removed an entry where he reported a succesful use of some 5x.xx or 6x.xx driver (i think it was 60.72). Or just wait until he answers :)

Hi dontknow, I was faster ;-)

Anyway, just noticed that Dimitris is using 47.12 which is more recent than 45.84. Any idea what differences are? Only thing I've read in the Drivers section is that 44.68 is supposed to be faster than 47.12...

oVan

Guest dimitris

I've tried almost all of them. And I've found 47.12 to be better than 44.68 and 45. you've mentioned. It's the most stable.

Of course, 44.87 (Dell Official) is THE most stable but is SO much slower.

Dimitris...

p.s. : let's hope something comes up :)

I have the 4200 go with the I8500. if anyone can post the best drivers, as far as 3d and video performance, and stability goes (ie not only the best benchmarking, but the most flawless with video games/general OS behavior)

since ive gone to the mod .infs i have not been able to resume from standby, nor have i been able to use TV out (this was origionaly a problem with the BIOS, but a BIOS update in january got it working IF you used the craptastic dell drives. or perhaps the 55.54 drivers with the limited feature NVDM.inf file) I am wondering, what peoples experiences with other drivers have been, and what, in thier opinion, is the best for the 8500 (NOT including standby or TV out issues).

I am currently using the 61.12 drivers with peiters mod .inf files. it is really good, though i still get flakey performance in UT2k4 everyonce and a while (not that bad, but could be better i think). i would hate to have to use a 4x.xx driver. it is pretty fishy that laptop users are "forced" to use drivers that have issues with software programmed 6 Mo+ the driver release date.

Definitely 60.85 with the modded inf.

whos mod .inf....am i assuming pieters, is that right?

Guys,

I have a Dell Latitude D800 with a Geforce4 4200 Go. Over the past year I have used almost all of the drivers Pieter has posted on his site. I still have the standby problem with any 5x.xx I've tried.

Could anyone tell me if he has a Geforce4 4200 Go (preferably on a Dell machine) and which driver/inf works for him without any resuming from standby problem, or ghostly fadeout problem when shutting down or any other problems for that manner?

Currently I have to use either 44.87 (latest official from Dell for my laptop) or 47.12 (as posted from Pieter) so as not to have a standby problem.

I really want to use the 5x series drivers.

Thanx in advance,

Dimitris

Dell Latitude D800

Pentium-M 1,6Ghz

1920x1200

1024 MB RAM

60GB Hard Drive @7200rpm

Geforce4 4200 Go 64MB

Dell Latitude C840

Pentium-4 M 2,0Ghz

1600x1200

512MB RAM

40GB Hard Drive @5400 rpm

Geforce4 440 Go 32MB

44.03 all the way. i've tested them all from 53.03 up to 61.11 and the 44.03 has the best game performance and highest 3d marks of all them. no problem with standby, lid closure or anything. 44.03 without a doubt the best!!!

Guest big_gie

Same problem here... Can't get Matlab and Counter-Strike together with a v4x.xx driver... :) I absolutly need Matlab, and maybe a bit less Counter-Strike... :)

Guest zero

First off, nice site. It's good to know that there are options to dells terribly out of date drivers. :)

I have a few problems that I need some help with (hopefully there are workarounds?). I need an up to date driver to play some newer games. In particular far cry and probably the up coming half life 2. After a long day of reinstalling and rebooting I have narrowed teh drivers down to a small group of acceptable drivers.

Driver allows far cry to paly without crashing into solid colored screen with no system response as with teh latest dell driver. Lid closure does not switch video out to external monitor through back of notebook or docking station (did not test DVI). When the lid switch is depressed the screen does not cut off, but gets a jagged streak through the middle. During shut down the same streak through the middle o fthe sceen appears. When switching between screen modes with Fn+F8, (dual view, single view[LCD, CRT], etc) the LCD does not turn off ("morphs" colors from the left lower corner slowly like the colors seen when a LCD is broken) when the external monitor mode is reached and teh LCD is supposed to power off. When switching between modes the default screen resolutions are not reset. The LCD resolution now has the resolution of the external monitor. Each time the cycle is completed the lcd resolution gets lower and lower. System does not resume from stand by even with the stand by fix driver. Gameplay is great. No blocky fills and choppy frames when turning left or right. Solid and very liquid rendering.

53.03 omega

black screen, does not work at all for me.

Same as 53.03 in most respects. Faster game play and load time in far cry. Same issues with the screen and lid switch for external monitor.

56.6x+, 57.xx

Very choppy game play. Take two steps, wait, take two steps, wait, etc.

60.00-61.12

Excellent game play. Faster far cry rendering and initial load time. Liquid rendering in UT2K4. No issues with the back light staying on when the external monitor is swithced to using Fn+F8 like the 5x.xx drivers. Screen resolutions default back to the original settings when cycled using hot keys(Fn+F8). Only major issue I have is the water surface in far cry is totally screwed up. One more thing. NO LID CLOSURE SUPPORT> surely this is fixable through the registry or inf???? I really like this feature. When I'm watching a movie and my battery begins to die I can jsut get up and slam it on the dock, close the lid, and video is instantly transfered onto the wall via projector hooked to vga port on d/dock. The only problem with doing this with hot keys is that it always crashes the game or movie unless the lid is shut, then it just switches.

So does anybody have any suggestions to a driver that WORKS? The 6x.xx drivers seem to be the best. Lots of functions, features, and stuff. Not to mentio everythign works like it should. Except for the water in far cry and lid closure thing. If I could get a stable 5x.xx driver that doesn't do wierd s*** when I close the lid or switch to the monitor using hot keys I'd be very pleased. I think I can live without the lid switching the displays for me if I can get fast game performance and full functionality. :)

As for all the other drivers, their either older than 53.03 and are not usable, or don't work at all. :P

System specs

i8500

P4-2.2ghz

15.4"UXGA

256mb ram

60gb 7200 rpm

philips dvd+rw sdv6004 v1.03(yes, its works fine)

Nvidia GF4 4200go

Intel 54mbit wifi

dell 3200 projector

Oh yeah, I have screen shots to show what I have on far cry water problems.

yahoo briefcase. Houston dnb.

yahoo briefcase

//EDIT

i had to merge the 4200 GO best driver topic question, maybe your good description of issues help others too

Guest freonchill

i dont know if this will work for anyone else...

but i figured out how to get lcd to turn off when it is closed

remove whatever driver you have installed

i used "driver cleaner 3" (download from guru3d.com)

reboot

should default to low res vga driver

reboot

then installed latest dell drivers for the 4200 (6.14.10.44.87 - ie: 44.87)

[installer should work fine]

reboot

then installed 61.12 using w/ only nv4_disp.inf & NVDM.inf in the dir

[do manual from device manager - iirc i used nv4_disp rather than nvdm, but it could have been the other way around]

reboot as asked/required

after everything has loaded up - either close the lid or push the button and watch it disappear and then reappear

[***MAKE SURE YOU LET ALL YOUR BOOT PROGRAMS LOAD***]

it even (atleast to me) seems to pull the screen back up when i open the lid FASTER than it used it (in the past - sometimes would take 1-5sec after opening lid to bring up screen)

havent played any games - so i cant attest to the 3d performance

i have a side effect problem no-standby or hibernation

but i think that is b/c i downloaded and installed latest INF (2003) and the text file w/ it said that some of the components are *beta* and i dont know if thats the issue or these drivers - though i tested the standby/hibernation after 44.87 drivers were installed and it was still broken - so my guess is that its the INTEL inf's that arent 100% talor'd to my dell d800 setup

sidenotes:

winxp sp-1 all patches

centrino 1.6; 1gb; 60gb 7200rpm hd; 15.4wuxga (1920x1200) - A05 bios (latest); geforece 4200 64mb; system bios A09 (latest)

Guest freonchill

yea - went back to the dell/intel INF and got hibernation/standby back

so everything seems to be working perfectly

yes, i still have to play some games and see if they are nice and all

freonchill, can you confirm what driver version (and what inf) you've now used? to me it is unclear from your last message.

can you also report cpu temp and gpu temp, and if you have the truemobile 1300 or 1400: does your wifi work (when undocked)?

thanks in advance!

oVan

Best would be if freonchill register and include a nice signature/system specs :)

Hmm... installation works indeed! :)

* Lid closure OK

* Standby OK

* Hibernation OK

* GPU Temperature: 63°C and rising

* WiFi when undocked: not tested yet I'll report later today.

Update: Wifi undocked problematic, GPU temp 69°C, will soon crash. Let's get back to 44/45/47's :)

oVan

Guest freonchill

yea - didnt look @ the gpu core temp

are you running powermiser @ full or 1/2 or low?

ive got it @ full on ac; and low on battery (though i havent been w/out ac 99% of the time; even have a lighter adapter in the car)

if you are running I8kfanGUI, tell it to run fan 2 (ie: gpu fan)

@ high and it will drop the gpu core from 69-63 in 5min

yea - that will eat @ battery life (when mobile)

but thats about all i can suggest w/out playing w/ powermiser options

as a side note - your sys info (left column) says a/b/g+

by g+ you mean you get 108mbps on routers (like netgear/linksys/dlink dual channel stuff)?

if so - is that driver hack / fix?

thanks for the info

Guest dimitris

oVan,

got a little confused here.... What drivers do you use now and do you still have the standby problem? Also, how are those temp problems going?

IF you are using 5x.xx or 6x.xx and don't have any standby problems did you just install the way pieter describes (unistall control panel, reboot, device manager install, reboot, play)???

dimitris

@dimitris:

I've just installed 61.12 as a test, as described by freonchill at the beginning of this thread. No lid/standby/hibernation probs, but still temp & wifi probs.

@freonchill:

With older drivers (40 & 50) gpu temp was way down & wifi works perfectly. With 60 the wifi only works when docked to my d/view station. So far nobody found a reason/solution to this. Something the 60-driver does makes this happen.

I always have powermizer at max, with all drivers. I see no reason to change that. The problem is also there when hooked up to the power adaptor while undocked.

What I've noticed now is that after rebooting the gpu temp remains around 55° C, while SpeedSwitchXP is running in Dynamic switching mode. I'll try undocking again to verify that the problem is there or went away...

About the Wifi a/b/g+: the latest truemobile 1400 drivers have support for XPress-technology. My d-link router (624+) unfortunately does not yet have support for this. I'm waiting for firmware upgrade to come out and finally enable my 108Mbit setup :) Under normal circumstances I get perfect 54Mbps in the house and 45Mbit on my terrace.

Update: Now that'll be my day! Undocked and got immediate WiFi reception. Gpu temp is rising fast though...so only 1 problem to solve now!

Can anyone attest to this protocol (dell driver then 61.12 driver installation method) fixing the Black and White TV-Out issue, when using the S-video to composite dongle?

im a little unclear as to wich modified .inf you used for your 61.12 driver installation method. did you use pieters modified .inf files or did you use the NVDM.inf Dell OEM inf files?

infact, if you used the NVDM.inf files, all the wichcraft and vodoo with the driver installation could be superfluous

thanks

-D6

@deaconsix

I've installed it with nvdm.inf. I've done that before with other drivers also, but probably not coming from 44.87 straight to 61.12

@dimitris

I've no idea why it suddenly works, after rebooting I noticed temp was lower than expected, so I thought "something" has changed. That's why I tried undocking again and wifi was working (it still is).

Although temp rose to 69 it is now again down to 56 °C undocked. I have to confess I've set Powermizer to lowest performance as a test. To be honest, so far I don't see any difference with maximum setting.

When I plug in the power cord (but still undocked) temp rises again as Powermizer is set to maximum.

To Pieter & the other experts here: Could it be that the Powermizer settings for the 60 drivers are totally different than those for older series (40 & 50)?

oVan

Guest dimitris

######... I don't know what to say.

Do you want stability and to be able to put your pc in standby?

Use Dell's horribly outdated drivers. Don't be able to enjoy your fine graphics card... Or use method you described and put your laptop on fire... :)

Do you want to play newer games?

Don't be able to put your pc in standby (and it's such a wonderful feature)..

Wouldn't it be so much nicer to go live in a mountain as a monk? This TECHNOLOGY is starting to really ###### me off... :)

dimitris

Guest freonchill

@oVan - thanks for that wifi 108 info - ill have to look into that

btw - where can i find the information about that - didnt see anything in the help files?

@DeaconSix -

wichcraft and vodoo with the driver installation could be superfluous
whether this order of operations that i listed is the reason for the fix or just the luck in selecting the right .INF on the install for fixing (standby/hibernate) and lid close bugs - wasnt my reason for doing it this way

i did what i did in the order (old driver, new driver) to fix a problem that had cropped up in my system w/out any reason (atleast to me) while i had been recovering from surgery (pain killers were in use) 2 weeks ago, when the lid bug could have originally cropped up for me, but remained un-noticed till last weekend

@dimitris

as for stability - i have only had my system BSoD about 5 times since i got it last august; i dont use standby b/c of its obvious issues that everyone (regardless of system) has always historically had. i only used to use hibernation mode, for less than an hour most of the time, when moving my laptop from my apartment to campus during the semester.

i really doubt that the laptop will "catch on fire" due to the gpu running @ 60-70C

if you look @ I8kfanGUI, you will notice that on the regulation of cooling dependant on temperatures that the cpu up to 85C; now obviously thats the cpu vs the gpu; but if the cpu can run in the 40's that the gpu should be able to handle 69C.

i cant seem to find any documentation (didnt look that hard) but does anyone know the theoretical/realistic max temp that the 4200 core can handle? i dont have it documented - but i remember it getting up to atleast 55C in the past (even in windows, not in a game) i would not be surprised if w/ the dell driver i got up to 65C when gaming

Wouldn't it be so much nicer to go live in a mountain as a monk? This TECHNOLOGY is starting to really ###### me off...

yea, if i did i could catch up on my reading; ive got a pile of recreational reading here that i might be able to get through in a year or two; but between having a computer hardware fetish, being an architecture major, and watching atleast a movie a day - i have tons of distractions before getting a quiet moment to read