LaptopVideo2Go Forums

5150 and nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 64MB problem

Guest michiel

Guest michiel

Dear all,

I have a Dell inspiron 5150 with nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 64MB graphics card.

The problem is the following. I get thin white moving lines on my screen. I can still use the laptop but it makes me crazy.

This is what I did afterwards to find out the problem.

Reformat C:

install fresh windows xp professional (before I had windows XP home)

everything still ok. No lines at all.

After installinfg the nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 driver the moving lines start.

I don t know what it is. I upgraded to the newest driver available from Dell:

Video: nVidia GeForce FX Go5200, HTML, Windows XP, Multi Language, Inspiron 5150, v.Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 PC Health Files, A03 Release Date: 12/17/2004

But still the problem:

what happened? Is this a broken graphic card or is this a software problem or is the PC too hot? But why do I not get those lines when I don't have any driver installed? Do I have to try another driver?

Thanks for your vcomments,

Michiel

It might be a hardware problem, but try a different driver before you have it serviced. Instead of the Dell driver, download driver 71.44 from the 70 series drivers on our site, and replace the installation inf with the custom Inspiron 5150 inf you'll find in this thread. Use the nv4_disp.inf.

That driver is much more recent than Dell's and the custom inf solves many display problems with the Inspiron 5150 and 5160.

If you still have the white lines after that, check for heat problems. Blow the dust our of thethe cooling fins in the vent on the back panel of the machine, next to the power adapter jack. A can of compressed air is the best tool for this.

If the white line is still there after all of this, it's probably a hardware problem.

Good luck with it!

Guest michiel

So today I installed the newest driver from Dell.

With a cold laptop everything seems ok. After having it turned on for a while (10 mins or so) the thin white lines start to appear. For me it seems a heat problem then.

Can it still be a hardware problem (1) fans which don't really rotate at the right frequency? 2) graphic card which fails when it gets hot?)

or just the dust?.

I have tried to clean the fans by air from a bottle before but without success.

In case of dust problem I think I would need to dismantle the whole system because blowing air did not work (I think too little air pressure).

It might be a hardware problem, but try a different driver before you have it serviced. Instead of the Dell driver, download driver 71.44 from the 70 series drivers on our site, and replace the installation inf with the custom Inspiron 5150 inf you'll find in this thread. Use the nv4_disp.inf.

That driver is much more recent than Dell's and the custom inf solves many display problems with the Inspiron 5150 and 5160.

If you still have the white lines after that, check for heat problems. Blow the dust our of thethe cooling fins in the vent on the back panel of the machine, next to the power adapter jack. A can of compressed air is the best tool for this.

If the white line is still there after all of this, it's probably a hardware problem.

Good luck with it!

Dust is definitely the first thing to check. You don't need to dismantle the whole system. It's pretty easy to remove the keyboard to get at the cooling fins. Just search for the service manual on the Dell site.

The first things that I would advise would be to upgrade the laptop BIOS... Dell tends to change the fan default behaviour.

If you have a moving line even on the desktop (not while playing 3D games) and your fan is always off... give I8kfanGUI a try. This software allows to change fan behaviour. (ie: default mode is low speed) It might be a little bit more annoying than the quiet mode but could be the magic bullet you were looking for.

If the white line is only in 3D mode... downclock your card in 3D mode a little bit.

Last point... you said that the white line appears after you install the driver... does the driver installation change the fan behaviour?

Guest michiel
Dust is definitely the first thing to check. You don't need to dismantle the whole system. It's pretty easy to remove the keyboard to get at the cooling fins. Just search for the service manual on the Dell site.

Hi.

This is what I did: first checked for dust. Opened up the key board: no dust found in fan.

After that I downloaded your driver and installed it.

The problem seems to be solved. I am running a dvd now already for 2 hrs and everything normal.

Before I could run the labtop only 15 ? 30 min before the disturbing wjhite lines appeared.

Don?t know what is different between the new driver (71.44)and the driver from the dell site but thanks anyway for your help.

We're glad it's working... Thanks for letting us know!

:)