LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Please please help

bluenose

Major c*** up, i was trying to up date my driver and i made the silly mistake of using driver cleaner, i didnt use safe mode and i think i've deleted to files i shouldnt have. I cant now install my new drivers, it say there was an error.

These are the driver files i deleted, what can i do

--------------------------------------------------------

---- Driver Cleaner Professional Edition 1.5

---- 15-04-2006 -- 11:08:34

--------------------------------------------------------

- nVidia

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\Inf\NV*.inf)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\Inf\NV*.PNF)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\Help\nvcpl.hlp)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\Help\nvwcplen.hlp)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\Nwiz*.*)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\Nvudisp*.*)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\NV4_Disp.dll)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvcod.dll)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvcodins.dll)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\NVCpl.dll)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\NVMCTray.dll)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\NVOglNT.dll)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvwddi.dll)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\NVsvc32.exe)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvuDisp.exe)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\NVDisp.nvu)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\NV4_Mini.sys)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\NV4_Disp.dll)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\NV4_Mini.sys)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0012\DriverFiles\nV*.*)

File Deleted (C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0013\DriverFiles\nV*.*)

Directory Deleted (C:\Drivers\Video)

Registry Deleted (HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\NVIDIA Corporation)

Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global)

Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers\RIVATNT)

Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NVSvc)

Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nv)

Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\nv)

Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC)

Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC)

Registry Deleted (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516})

Registry Deleted (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{1AFBF72B-58EA-41CB-B117-3CDE0857F4A6})

Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Display\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\NVIDIA CPL Extension)

Thanks for any help

Having done the same thing a few times myself, you have my sympathy!

What happens when you boot your computer? Does it install the VGA driver or run in VGA mode (640x480)?

And what happens when you try to install the nvidia driver? What does the error message say?

For what it's worth, the NV files in the inf folder are the original Windows nvidla infs. The ones you needed to delete start with OEM. Don't delete all the OEM infs, however. Some probably belong to your sound card, your network adapter, etc. You need to open each one to see which are the nvidia ones.

Having done the same thing a few times myself, you have my sympathy!

Why would someone use such program to "clean their system" from drivers? I understand the case of the dude that tries all the various betas leaking on the internet or the other one that has issues.

But why would I add an extra stage in the update drivers procedure?

I probably look stupid asking this question... but since I use nvidia products (TNT2 Ultra, Geforce DDR, Geforce 2 Ultra, Geforce 4 Ti4600, Geforce FX 5200, Geforce 6800 Go, Geforce 7600 GT...) I installed my share of "beta" drivers, upgraded/downgraded drivers, tweaked a lot around Stereo when only Elsa supported stereo hardware... but I never ran into troubles that required such things as a cleaner app ran in SafeMode.

In fact since nvidia offers UDA drivers they rank at the very top of my driver quality scale. (FYI Creative is at the bottom for Gazillion issues with hardware, software and operating system combinations) In fact everytime I run the install of a Creative driver/app... I run Ghost prior to that install. :) I ran into hardware drivers issues but not with nvidia.

The problem is that, over the years, nvidia has never been consistent about where it places files and registry entries. One driver's uninstall routine will miss entries from other driver versions. For most people, uninstalling the driver in the Windows Control Panel will remove everything that counts. But the only way to completely remove registry values and files from multiple driver generations is to use a driver cleaner.

I must have been lucky dodging the rain drops... :)

I sorted it with good old system restore, Bill Gates i love you. :P I used drivercleaner because you hear so many people recomend you use it. ........

Mind you, i guess it helps if you read the instructions BEFORE you use it :)

Thanks anyway :)