LaptopVideo2Go Forums

XP startup screen problem

lepa71

I have Dell C840 with NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go 32mb video card and I have a small issue when Windows XP startup screen appears. It will stretch to use all screen space, then I can push FN+F7 to make it smaller, but when I reboot screen goes back to full screen.

Any help.

Why don't you run it at 1600x1200, should run fullscreen at all times without having to stretch.

I would recommend that you try the 77.77 driver with Pieter's mod INF on your card to start out with.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?dr...=1&type=1&dir=1

You could also try the 82.10 Dell driver with the INF that comes with it.

On modern drivers you should not have any problems with the screen remembering your scaling options.

Sn0wl you can't outdo me here, you weren't even around when that fix was discovered.

In fact, what you are experiencing is just before xp finishes loading, correct?

Try fn+F6 as well, there are lots of undocumented dell fn key things.

Could try changing those from within the BIOS.

I assume you have the A13 BIOS on that C840.

I'm talking about First XP screen not the welcome screen. I already run @1600x1200. Bill, I'm using 84.21 driver with Pieter's modified INF as you recomended. I don't think that drivers are loaded at that moment yet.

Edited by lepa71

Tried Fn+F6 yet?

My previous Dell laptop had an option in the BIOS to Stretch to fit. Head over there and disable it.

What does Fn+F6 do? My F5 has A/A thing and F7 has font

Fn+F6 should turn scaling on and off from the pre-windows standpoint.

There is no option in the C840/I8200/M50 BIOS for scaling, you can spend all day looking but it is not there.

Like I said there are many hidden fn commands, even one I just discovered that finally returned fan control to my BIOS (long story).

After pressing the 15 keys or so my fans went wonky and stuff and I8k fangui thought the temp was 85, but I think that was wrong.

All was fixed when I restarted. (had to do button presses to fix it, BIOS was refusing to take back control of fans)

I tried Fn+F6 and it didn't work. The problem is that bios screen is small, it is only windows xp startup screen is scaled up. Any more help? I was pushin g Fn+F6 during bios screen. Is that right?

So when the splash screen appears it is small? as well as the BIOS screen but the XP loading screen is scaled? :)

Have you tried any other Fn+F keys?

F4, F9, F6, F7, F11 and F12..... *ponders...*

The BIOS screen is small, but what you probably call splash screen is scaled up(big) and then windows welcome screen(where I enter password) is 1600x1200. I also have C800 and it works fine.