LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Virtual Sound M | Sound output enhancement

sn0wl

Guest weiwern28

Hi, I seem to be encountering a problem. I have a Dell XPSM1710 which has the Sigmatel HD Audio chip thus the service running is sthda. But when I install the modded version of TVS and it asks me to reboot the PC, as laptop starts up again in windows I get an error (blue screen) and everytime I restart after that I get the error and am unable to load into windows. I had to uninstall TVS in safe mode and am wondering what is the cause for this problem?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ultima

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• LSudlow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest weiwern28

Nevermind, I fixed it. Had to clear some keys in registry relating to the Creative HD audigy software. It's like TVS but for Dell laptops with the sigmatel chip.

I updated the post again... now counting 12 devices beeing supported. Is that correct, Ultima? Can you doublecheck your installer?

By the way i tried TVS M and i liked the installer. Installation worked like a charm (of course, who would have thought else)

This is what's in Tvs.inf:

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,DeviceCount, %REG_DWORD%,16

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName1,  %REG_SZ%, aeaudio
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName2,  %REG_SZ%, sthda
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName3,  %REG_SZ%, stac97
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName4,  %REG_SZ%, WDM_YAMAHAAC97
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName5,  %REG_SZ%, allegro
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName6,  %REG_SZ%, maestro
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName7,  %REG_SZ%, es1969
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName8,  %REG_SZ%, IntcAzAudAddService
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName9,  %REG_SZ%, AEAudioService
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName10, %REG_SZ%, ALCXWDM
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName11, %REG_SZ%, cs429x
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName12, %REG_SZ%, LVUSBSta
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName13, %REG_SZ%, VIAudio
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName14, %REG_SZ%, smwdm
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName15, %REG_SZ%, ac97intc
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName16, %REG_SZ%, emu10k

So basically, these are missing from your list:

cs429x - Cirrus Logic Crystal WMD
VIAudio - VIA Technologies Implended Audio in the Southbridge VT8237
smwdm - SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

LVUSBSta - Logitech QuickCam

I'm removing LVUSBSta, as it belongs to the Logitech QuickCam service, and not some audio driver. I don't remember why I even added it in the first place, but it doesn't belong. At any rate, after I remove LVUSBSta, the supported services count is at 15.

Edited by Ultima

Sorry about the whole guest posting thing (I run many forums as well, so know how it is :) ) anyways I just wanted to say thanks for this! I own a Qosmio G20/395ls laptop, in which I upgraded the Virtual sound thing they have at their site, only to see it never work again. So I've been searching the web to find an older version so as to get it back and thus I found your site.

Anyways, I installed, and it works smootly! Not to mention in English (not that reading Japanese wasn't possible but...I always find english a plus :) )

Just want to say, without you guys I probably would have resulted in a re-install. So in short, you saved 8 hours of my time. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, NJT.

I added a wee hint from my experience with TVS on a Desktop PC with emu10k/SoundBlasterLive (default XP driver):

"Doesn't work as expected with default settings (long cracking sound effects) - incompatible or needs Troubleshooting?"

Strange, strange. :) As soon as I extracted the zip file as downloaded from this thread, I got a virus alert by Symantec Antivirus (see attached; the link in the screenshot directed me to http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...rojan.zlob.html) and the tvs installer got deleted. Has anyone else had this issue?

post-823-1151864181_thumb.png

Edited by hazart

Not that it's really worth much, but you have my assurance that I included no virus in the setup... I've scanned with Kaspersky, and came up with nothing. Certain antivirus softwares have problems with NSIS and incorrectly label it as a virus. I'm sure other people can attest to this.

Not that it's really worth much, but you have my assurance that I included no virus in the setup... I've scanned with Kaspersky, and came up with nothing. Certain antivirus softwares have problems with NSIS and incorrectly label it as a virus. I'm sure other people can attest to this.

I trust you, Ultima. :) No offense.

I went to Symantec Security Response site and read its Trojan.Zlob article. I have installed this tvs, but haven't found a trace of Trojan.Zlob on my laptop. So, this must be a hitch of SAV. Thanks for all your great work.

Guest brucele

I used the tvasi script and confirmed that I have IntcAzAudAddService - RealTek HD service. I installed it but didn't notice any differences in the sound output. I have the program running and tried different settings.

TVS does not seem to work in Windows Media Player 10. Does any one know why?

I would assume it's because Windows Media Player already has a SRS WOW filter thing in it...

I would assume it's because Windows Media Player already has a SRS WOW filter thing in it...

You are probably right. I do not know why I didn't think about that. Thanks anyways!

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance we can get the modded version upgraded to 1.03.12?

:)

Attached for instant access (instead of emailing and waiting for someone to upload :) ), but when a moderator or administrator has a chance, move it to the correct place, link in the first post, and delete the attachment? Thanks.

tvs.sys and tvs.chm changed in this version. The help file seems to have removed the note about it not working in WMP, and how to fix it... odd. Maybe they fixed the problem with WMP in this version... who knows. I still have a copy of the old help file that contains the information, do any of you think I should add it back?

@kostata: Check the first post and tell us the service name

Edit: Attachment uploaded.

Edited by sn0wl

Thanks, Ultima! I've just checked and they've fixed the WMP problem.

I don't know how to upload to that location or I'd go ahead and make the change. Hopefully one of the others will do it soon.

Thanks again!

tvs.sys and tvs.chm changed in this version. The help file seems to have removed the note about it not working in WMP, and how to fix it... odd. Maybe they fixed the problem with WMP in this version

The japanese changelog has mentioned the keyword "Windows Media Player", so it might be that they fixed it :)

There are other things in the changelog (i posted the link in the other TVS thread; worldlingo didn't work yesterday), if only someone could translate it...

Google Translate:

The main improvement point is as follows.

Ver 1.03.12 (2006.7.12)

[The Qosmio series] from TOSHIBA Virtual Sound Ver 1.03.08 or less is improved.

1. With Qosmio G20/395LS and G20/390LS, the phenomenon which has the case where TOSHIBA Virtual Sound Ver 1.03.08 does not operate just was improved.
  2. When the occasion where with Windows Media Player music CD is played back, it sets to “analog mode” the phenomenon which has the case where it cannot play back just was improved. <-- (yep, seems like it's fixed)
  3. (D) starts TOSHIBA Virtual Sound, [it opens details setting] -> [option (O)]Clicking, it is indicated in “the option setting” picture:
    [selection of the audio filter] there is a tub, with “TruSurround XT and WOW HD”, “function of the audio filter, it changes automatically, with the format of the audio stream which is in the midst of playing back (O) “when it sets to the mode other than, the phenomenon which has the case where sound of multichannel audio cannot be played back just was improved.

[The other corresponding types] or less is improved from the version which is preinstalled.

1. The occasion where the USB Web camera is connected, the phenomenon which has the case where it cannot play back sound normally was improved.
  2. When the occasion where with Windows Media Player music CD is played back, it sets to “analog mode” the phenomenon which has the case where it cannot play back just was improved.

On a different note, I was playing around with the settings, and in my humble opinion, TruSurround XT sounds about the same as Circle Surround Xtract (there might've been subtle differences), but the Circle Surround Xtract taxes the CPU a lot more heavily -- by about 4x on my system. So for what it's worth, if you care about getting a balance between resource usage and sound quality enhancement, stick to TruSurround XT and/or WOW HD. Of course, I might just be experiencing this because my audio device isn't really HD capable... who knows.

Edited by Ultima

Thanks a lot, guys. Btw, the google translation looks pretty good! :)

I have a USB audio device :S It's supposed to be a HD one,,, I'm guessing this is the problem you are having?

mattmann? :) :) He's back! Hi there.

i have not implemented it yet (only PCI devices are scanned). You can check your service using the procedure described in the TVS M thread (device manager, then details etc.)

We don't even know if it works with USB sound devices.

I am around... sort of been hovering and watching the RSS feeds flow though... but must admit i've not had as much time here as i'd have liked.

If there's anything I can do to help with the USB testing send me a PM, I will always get those... AFAIK it's an STAC9200 i have in here. The scanner reports the audio service as "usbaudio", proper methods have it as "STHDA"

Edited by mattman

Thanks for this, you guys rock! Making my laptop compete with the new ones. The new laptops will bow to the speed of the golden oldes! :)