LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Virtual Sound M | Sound output enhancement

sn0wl

Caution: despite the thread title, the download link is still to modded version 1.03.12, not 1.03.13.

:)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ultima

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• LSudlow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

corrected thread title :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just reinstalled this (knowing it won't work) the device I have is the SigmaTel STAC9225 (only 9750 seems to be supported)

---------------------------------------------------------------

TVSASI v1.002 - TOSHiBA Virtual Sound Audio Service Information

Caption : "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC "

Description : "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC "

DeviceID : "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7661&SUBSYS_104D0C00&REV_1042\4&B1E7652&0&0001"

Manufacturer : "SigmaTel "

Name : "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC "

DeviceIDName : "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7661&SUBSYS_104D0C00&REV_1042\4&B1E7652&0&0001"

ProductName : "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC "

Service Name for needed for TVS: "STHDA"

any possibilities to add this device ? Or telling me how to do it myself ? thx :)

Maybe we can upgrade to 1.03.13 at the same time?

It doesn't seem like there's been any change between 1.03.12 and 1.03.12 in terms of the files -- the hashes are all the same =T

@Jeroen: Odd, sthda is already an included service =T

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have a Dell XPS M1210 with the Sigmatel HDA drivers only (uninstalled the piece of crap Creative drivers - they were giving me intermittent crackling/popping) - it's listed on the supported cards list, but after windows boots up XP blue screens with the following error:

Stop 0X0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xB40F5A01, 0xB402EA10, 0x00000000)

TVS.sys = Address B40F5A01 base at B40F4000, DateStamp 447bf77b

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey guys, I've been busy lately, and haven't had much time to mess with TVS... Anyhow, I'm testing my INF generator again, this time, with the command DEVCON listclass MEDIA and parsing that instead of using DEVCON hwids =MEDIA PCI* -- maybe it'll detect HDAUDIO devices also =o

Can you guys test it out and post what the output is in the Tvs.inf file that is generated from running Tvs.cmd? Thanks :) Oh, and um... if your audio device's service is not properly listed there, do tell :)

EDIT: File removed... updated version posted below.

Edited by Ultima

DEVICES
=======
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName1,%REG_SZ%,smwdm
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName2,%REG_SZ%,audstub
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName3,%REG_SZ%,audstub
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName4,%REG_SZ%,audstub
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName5,%REG_SZ%,audstub
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName6,%REG_SZ%,audstub
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,DeviceCount,%REG_DWORD%,6

This is on a DELL OptiPlex GX260 with integrated Sound using a PCI bus.

I think you might be on the right track here!

DEVICES

=======

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName0,%REG_SZ%,STAC97

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName1,%REG_SZ%,audstub

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,DeviceCount,%REG_DWORD%,2

My audio chipset doesn't seem to be supported out of the box, but I changed one of the other service names in the registry to the one for my chipset, and it works perfectly.

I think this should be all the relevant info if you wanted to add it to a future release:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

DEVCON AUDIO...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

DeviceDesc : "Conexant AC-Link Audio"

DeviceID : "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_3080103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&F2"

Manufacturer : "Conexant"

TVSASI - TOSHiBA Virtual Sound Audio Service Information:

----------------------------------------------------------

Service Name for needed for TVS: "CAMCAUD"

Thanks for releasing this. The audio on my laptop is unbelievably better with it running.

@Kreeblah: Have you tested the last thing I just uploaded 3 posts above yours?

@LSudlow, ®®®: Thanks, that's looking good so far... though I have to figure out how to ignore duplicates.

@Kreeblah: Have you tested the last thing I just uploaded 3 posts above yours?

Ah. Sorry. I don't know how I missed that before. Here's what that gave me:

DEVICES
=======
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName1,%REG_SZ%,CAMCAUD
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName2,%REG_SZ%,audstub
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName3,%REG_SZ%,audstub
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName4,%REG_SZ%,audstub
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName5,%REG_SZ%,audstub
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName6,%REG_SZ%,audstub
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,DeviceCount,%REG_DWORD%,6

Edit: I'm not sure whether or not it's relevant, but after having done a bit of looking, I've found that it seems to be a rebranded Intel ICH6 AC97 variant.

Edited by Kreeblah

Cool, batch file appears to be detecting your audio service properly... now, what we need is for people with the less common audio devices, especially HDAUDIO devices, to try the batch file... Anyhow, I just uploaded a newer "version" of the INF generator, same idea as above, extract, run Tvs.cmd, and post the contents of Tvs.inf for me to see.

This updated version was my crude attempt at fixing the duplicate service issue -- I'm not even sure if it works, as I don't have duplicate service names to test... sorry if it's ugly code, but I'm a n00bish batch file writer, so if you have better ways of doing what I did in my CMD file, feel free to guide me :)

tvs_inf_generator.rar

Edited by Ultima

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName0,%REG_SZ%,STHDA
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName1,%REG_SZ%,usbaudio
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName2,%REG_SZ%,btaudio
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,DeviceCount,%REG_DWORD%,3

Dell XPS M1210 with a Sigmatel HDA chip - TVS currently blue-screens, so not installed at the moment.

Kevin

With the new version I get:

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName0,%REG_SZ%,STAC97

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName1,%REG_SZ%,audstub

Heh for those with a keen eye, you'll notice that the ServiceNameX keys start from 0, which is incorrect -- it should start from 1. I've fixed it in the version I have on my computer, for anyone who plans on complaining (the number isn't the focus anyway, I just need to see that the service names are detected properly :) ). Anyway, that aside, I still need results from people who:

1) Have had repeat entries (®®®, Kreeblah)

2) Have HDAUDIO audio devices, and maybe USB (although I'm not sure if TVS will work for them anyway, it's still worth a try).

Thanks for your continued cooperation, LSudlow :)

Edited by Ultima

Heh for those with a keen eye, you'll notice that the ServiceNameX keys start from 0, which is incorrect -- it should start from 1. I've fixed it in the version I have on my computer, for anyone who plans on complaining (the number isn't the focus anyway, I just need to see that the service names are detected properly :) ). Anyway, that aside, I still need results from people who:

1) Have had repeat entries (®®®, Kreeblah)

2) Have HDAUDIO audio devices, and maybe USB (although I'm not sure if TVS will work for them anyway, it's still worth a try).

Thanks for your continued cooperation, LSudlow :)

The new version seemed to weed out the dupes properly. Here's what I got when I ran it:

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters,ServiceName0,%REG_SZ%,CAMCAUD

Hm, relooking the posts over, I just realized that post 115 proves that the batch file is correctly detecting HDAUDIO devices... after all, that's what STHDA is :) Heck, even USB media devices are presumably being detected, unless I'm misreading usbaudio :)

Here's a "new" version with the updated installer, meaning that it should (hopefully) work for any audio device you throw at it... Be warned, though, that if it screws your system up, I take no responsibility. That disclaimer aside, I've tested the installer myself, and nothing was wrong with it. It installed just nicely, and everything's working as expected. The only difference is that I didn't have to add the service name manually -- a big plus :P

This is TVS v1.03.13, but there honestly was no difference between the 1.03.13 files and the 1.03.12 files (they're binary identical files). Essentially, if you're using 1.03.12, there's no actual need to install this version, but if you want to, go right ahead :P

THIS VERSION IS FOR TESTING. Which means it should not be posted to the first post just yet until I'm sure it works for most people :rofl:

tvs10313.zip

Edited by Ultima

Ultima, the installer bombs out when it tries to extract the files to the tvs folder.

Hm... can you be more specific as to what happens? Have you tried uninstalling, restarting, then try installing?

Edited by Ultima

It happens even when I uninstall the previous version. The message is:

Error opening file for writing: C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Tvs\TvsRes.dll Click Abort to stop the installation, Retry to try again, or Ignore to skip this file.

If I click Ignore, it happens again with the next file, then the following one, etc.

I've downloaded and extracted again to be sure it wasn't a corrupt download. And I can use 7zip to extract all the files, so nothing's corrupted. It must be something with the installer.

EDIT: I seem to have solved it. For some reason the uninstall also removed my audio drivers and all the codecs etc. that are usually in the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers section of the device manager. When I reinstalled my sound driver, TVS installed correctly. I'm not sure what caused the problem, but it seems to be okay now. Thanks!

Heh good to hear :) I still can't figure out why it seems to remove audio drivers when uninstalling... My only hunch is that it has something to do with the UpperFilter value in the Registry, but even I'm not sure why. Additionally, I'm not sure why that'd mess with the installation either =X

Edit: That's not to say it does it all the time, though... Truth be told, I've uninstalled it without any trouble. I do acknowledge that there could be an issue, though, as it happened to me a long time ago (in the early stages of playing with the installer), and other people did report the same thing too.

Edited by Ultima

For optimum sound quality.... get a decent headset.