LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Virtual Sound M | Sound output enhancement

sn0wl

Toshiba Virtual Sound M (TVS Modded) for Windows XP

First of all many thanks to Ultima who made this installation possible by modding the program. :( :)

Alcahest mentioned sound service change once but Ultima made it possible thus adding support for generic installation and made his own setup!

TOSHIBA Virtual Sound HD works as an audio filter using SRS TruSurround XT, SRS WOW HD and SRS Circle Surround Xtract functions provided by SRS Labs. A MUST-HAVE software to significantly boost your laptop speakers! TVS works as a global 'system sound plug-in.' It employs SRS Labs WOW XT and TruSurround XT technologies to processes any sound of sampling rate before it is sent to your speakers. The boost effect is significant regardless of the quality of your sound card or speakers.

Requirements:

*Any and ONLY a Toshiba Laptop Modded version probably work on other computers as well.

*High Definition (HD) capable sound card Modded version adds services for normal sound cards as well so no need for HD card!

*Windows XP

Ultima is still testing the application and found out audio driver service name should be added to registry - otherwise TVS icon will not show up on taskbar even it is running in background.

How to find your Sound Card service:

Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 users can download our new attached script TVSASI.cmd (TOSHiBA Virtual Sound Audio Service Information) and post their result.

Windows XP Home and Windows 2000 users should use the LaptopVideo2Go NERD tool and post the logfile

or execute the following procedure:

- Start > Run > devmgmt.msc

- Find their audio device's name check its properties

- Under the Details tab, select Service in the dropdown, and that's the service name we're looking for

- Provide this service name along with the audio device manufacturer and model

Currently added sound card services:

• ac97intc - Intel® 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audiocontroller
  • aeaudio - Analog Devices AC'97
  • AEAudioService - Andrea Audio
  • allegro - ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM)
  • ALCXWDM - Realtek AC'97 Audio
  • cs429x - Cirrus Logic Crystal WDM Audio Codec
  • emu10k - SoundBlaster Live! Value (Desktop PC) - Doesn't work as expected with default settings (long cracking sound effects) - incompatible or needs Troubleshooting?
  • es1969 - ESS ES1969
  • IntcAzAudAddService - RealTek HD
  • maestro - ESS Maestro
  • smwdm - SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
  • stac97 - Sigmatel STAC 9750 AC97, Sigmatel C-Major Audio
  • sthda - SigmaTel HDA
  • VIAudio - VIA Technologies Implemented Audio in the Southbridge VT8237 / Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)
  • WDM_YAMAHAAC97 - Yamaha AC97 :)

If you have a problem, reply to this topic - I'm sure Ultima will help you and add the service!

DOWNLOAD (462 kb)

SRS WOW HD delivers an amazing virtual surround sound from various two channel contents over two speakers or headphones.

SRS TruSurround XT delivers an amazing virtual surround sound from various multi-channel content over two speakers or headphones. SRS TruSurround XT is the virtualizer that features post processing audio enhancements, creating a wider, and taller sound image field with deep rich bass from multi-channel content using SRS FOCUS and SRS TruBass technologies.

SRS Circle Surround II converts 5.1 or 6.1 channel surround sound into 2 channel signal which is recorded or broadcast using conventional technologies, then retrieves the original 5.1 or 6.1 channel signal form a surround sound system. Any multi-channel surround sound source can be recorded on an ordinary CD format, or can be broadcast through the current FM stereo broadcasting system.

SRS is selling its own WOW XT plug-in for Windows Media Player, which only works within WMP, for $10. I am pretty sure this TVS would cost more than $30! Moreover, we wouldn't have got this software for even $100 if Toshiba hadn't cooperated with SRS Labs - it is not commercially available - there is no retail version of such thing. Toshiba must have paid a lot for the licensing so enjoy! :P

Thanks to Hazart for telling us about TVS.

The latest version of TVS is Toshiba Virtual Sound for Windows XP v1, "VirtualSound v2" is actually an old version of v1 for some odd reason - both the application version and digital signature time stamp are old.

Legal Note: TVS is intended for Toshiba laptops only. Use at your own risk.

Warning:We had reports of TVS crashing some systems or not working at all. Use at your own risk.

TVSASI.cmd

Edited by ®®®

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ultima

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• LSudlow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Er, I tried the modded HD version on my Toshiba laptop with a non-HD sound card (Yamaha AC-XG WDM). It didn't work: after reboot, there was no tray icon and I couldn't change TVS properties. I then uninstalled TVS HD and rebooted, noticing that I had lost Toshiba Power Saver and Alps Touchpad tray icons and their functionality. So I had to uninstall Power Saver and Alps Touchpad Driver, reboot, and install them and the old TVS again. :)

Edit: I had to reinstall the sound card driver and McAfee as well. It was not hard to get everything back to normal though.

Keep up the good work guys; it looks like we're getting there!

Edited by hazart

I must confess, that's happened to me too, with my ZoneAlarm not starting up after uninstalling (though I didn't have to reinstall ZoneAlarm, I just had to open it and tell it to start with Windows again). I never was able to figure out why, and so I forgot to mention this. Anyway, I just took a look in my registry, and noticed that the registry entry that the .inf tries to delete during uninstall is located in a key depended upon by a lot of other devices and services (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}). My guess is that deleting UpperFilter messes around with everything.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure how I would fix it besides not uninstalling that registry entry during uninstall. Anyone have any ideas whether it's safe to leave the UpperFilter as Tvs even though it's uninstalled? I like to make my installs and uninstalls clean, but if uninstalling and deleting a registry entry screws around with system settings, I'd rather take that chance and leave the UpperFilter alone.

Can anyone verify my thoughts on the matter, and (maybe) give suggestions? I haven't tested this yet, but I'm just throwing the idea out there.

The change I would make to the .inf file is to comment out line 45 (DelReg = Tvs_DelReg under the DefaultUninstall.NT section). If I get the green light of confirmation from you guys, I'll update the installer (with some more audio driver service entries, I guess, though I can't guarantee they'll work).

Currently, the .inf file has entries for the following audio driver services (I had to guess on their FilterFlags, and I'm not sure about the service names, as I found them looking through other driver .inf files):

;[aeaudio / Analog Devices AC97]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,ServiceName1,%REG_SZ%,aeaudio

;[2ch] 0000-1101b (0x0D)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,FilterFlag1,%REG_DWORD%,0x0000000D

;[6ch] 0100-1101b (0x4D)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,FilterFlag1,%REG_DWORD%,0x0000004D

;[sthda / SigmaTel HDA]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName2,%REG_SZ%,sthda

;[2ch] 0001-0010b (0x12)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag2,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000012

;[6ch] 0101-0010b (0x52)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag2,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000052

;[stac97 / SigmaTel STAC 9750 AC97]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName3,%REG_SZ%,stac97

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag3,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag3,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

;[WDM_YAMAHAAC97 / Yamaha AC97]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName4,%REG_SZ%,WDM_YAMAHAAC97

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag4,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag4,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

;[allegro / ESS Allegro]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName5,%REG_SZ%,allegro

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag5,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag5,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

;[maestro / ESS Maestro]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName6,%REG_SZ%,maestro

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag6,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag6,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

;[es1969 / ESS ES1969]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName7,%REG_SZ%,es1969

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag7,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag7,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

Feel free to correct anything if need be.

If there are any more I should add, please do tell. Please figure out the Service name and FilterFlag when reporting them to me, as I can't possibly figure out entries for everyone's cards without wasting a lot of my time. Use this legend for figuring out the FilterFlag:

;[FilterFlag]
; bit-00: <FILTER_FLAG_CODEC_AC97> 0:Others 1:AC97 Audio
; bit-01: <FILTER_FLAG_CODEC_HDA> 0:Others 1:High Definition Audio
; bit-02: <FILTER_FLAG_SAMPLERATE_VARIABLE> 0:Constant 1:Variable
; bit-03: <FILTER_FLAG_BITDEPTH_20BIT> 0:16bit 1:20bit (only for SoundMAX AC97 with ICH6/7)
; bit-04: <FILTER_FLAG_BITDEPTH_32BIT> 0:16bit 1:32bit
; bit-05: <FILTER_FLAG_CHANNELS> 0:2ch 1:4ch/6ch
; bit-06: <FILTER_FLAG_EMULATEMODE> 0:OFF(2ch) 1:ON(6ch emulation)
; bit-07: <FILTER_FLAG_BYPASSCHKWINDVD> 0:Checking WinDVD 1:Bypass Checking WinDVD
; bit-08-32: <Reserved>

(I'm still not sure if the FilterFlag entry affects anything, but I'm not willing to take a chance)

Random tangent: I actually made the general installer for the older versions of TVS a few months ago, and only adapted it after I saw TVS HD released. I recall that when I first messed around with the installer/uninstaller, it actually deleted the whole HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} key, which totally disabled audio on my computer until I reinstalled the drivers, on top of disabling a lot of startup items, including ZoneAlarm. So I guess at least the current situation is a little better than it originally was :)

Edited by Ultima

Ultima you forgot to increase device count, that's why it didn't work on Hazart's computer, which also has Yamaha AC97.

Oh, I did? lol I'm not sure anymore, as my current .inf files are updated :)

Anyway, I'm off to test the new version Alcahest posted...

Edit: It appears there were only some changes in TvsSupport.ini, and the only changed file was Tvs.sys (version is now v2.0.1.3 as opposed to v2.0.1.2). I'm going to try installing it right now.

Edited by Ultima

Same deleting startup files happened to me too now - after uninstalling TVS M and installing TVS 1.03.08. Even the system restore doesn't work. I was planning to resintall Windows so now I have my chance but we should be careful since this is very unpleasant.

Ultima why don't you pack 1.03.08 again with all those new entries? I hope you will have it ready at the time my reinstallation of Windows is finished :)

And I want to share my experiance today. I tried to install it on a friend's desktop. Sound Card was Realtek AC97. I could run TVS M by adding service name ALDXWDM or something like that. However tray icon came but no setting was effecting output. I think it's something to do with bitfields since it was 4.1 or something like that.

Ultima you forgot to increase device count, that's why it didn't work on Hazart's computer, which also has Yamaha AC97.

Er... :)

Edited by hazart

Alright, I believe I perfected my installer now. I figured out why I lost sound whenever I uninstalled TVS (forgot to remove EventLog when uninstalling the service... had to change DelService parameter from 0x00000200 to 0x00000204, for anyone who cares). As for deleting the startup items, I screwed up the installer and made it delete the entire Run key instead of just the registry value. Er, yeah, that stupid mistake's been cleared up.

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,DeviceCount,%REG_DWORD%,9

;[aeaudio / Analog Devices AC97]HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,ServiceName1,%REG_SZ%,aeaudio

;[2ch] 0000-1101b (0x0D)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,FilterFlag1,%REG_DWORD%,0x0000000D

;[6ch] 0100-1101b (0x4D)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,FilterFlag1,%REG_DWORD%,0x0000004D

;[sthda / SigmaTel HDA]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName2,%REG_SZ%,sthda

;[2ch] 0001-0010b (0x12)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag2,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000012

;[6ch] 0101-0010b (0x52)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag2,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000052

;[stac97 / SigmaTel STAC 9750 AC97]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName3,%REG_SZ%,stac97

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag3,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag3,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

;[WDM_YAMAHAAC97 / Yamaha AC97]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName4,%REG_SZ%,WDM_YAMAHAAC97

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag4,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag4,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

;[allegro / ESS Allegro]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName5,%REG_SZ%,allegro

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag5,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag5,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

;[maestro / ESS Maestro]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName6,%REG_SZ%,maestro

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag6,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag6,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

;[es1969 / ESS ES1969]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName7,%REG_SZ%,es1969

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag7,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag7,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

;[intcAzAudAddService / RealTek HD]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName8,%REG_SZ%,IntcAzAudAddService

;[2ch] 0011-0010b (0x32)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag8,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000032

;[6ch] 0011-0110b (0x36)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag8,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000036

;[AEAudioService / ]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName9,%REG_SZ%,AEAudioService

;[2ch] 0000-0010b (0x02)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag9,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000002

;[6ch] 0000-0110b (0x06)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag9,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000006

This is what I have so far. Does anyone have a clue as to what sound card AEAudioService belongs to? I found it in TvsSupport.ini, and decided to include it. Anyway, if there are no other entries needed at the moment, I will be e-mailing the newer version to sn0wl. I'll wait until tonight to do that.

Well give it a go as it is now. I hope that uninstall bug is gone it like you said. Hazart did you increase the Device Count so it works on your computer?

Well give it a go as it is now. I hope that uninstall bug is gone it like you said. Hazart did you increase the Device Count so it works on your computer?

I haven't tried yet. I think I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks. :)

BTW, do we have the latest uninstaller from Ultima?

Edited by hazart

I sent the new version to sn0wl earlier, so don't reinstall my version until sn0wl uploads the new one =]

Which version did you send? 1.03.08, I hope?

:)

Updated.

It now works properly! :) Many thanks, guys!

I haven't tried the uninstaller yet because there's no need.

I am not sure how to optimise the Detail Setting though. The current setting for my Built-in Speaker is:

SRS Level: 80%

Speaker Size: 150Hz

TruBass Level: 80%

FOCUS Level: 80%

Definition Level: 80%

What setting would you guys recommend? I don't trust my ears. :)

Edited by hazart

Alright, I believe I perfected my installer now. I figured out why I lost sound whenever I uninstalled TVS (forgot to remove EventLog when uninstalling the service... had to change DelService parameter from 0x00000200 to 0x00000204, for anyone who cares). As for deleting the startup items, I screwed up the installer and made it delete the entire Run key instead of just the registry value. Er, yeah, that stupid mistake's been cleared up.

This is what I have so far. Does anyone have a clue as to what sound card AEAudioService belongs to? I found it in TvsSupport.ini, and decided to include it. Anyway, if there are no other entries needed at the moment, I will be e-mailing the newer version to sn0wl. I'll wait until tonight to do that.

AEAudioService: Andrea Audio Noise Cancellation Driver, Andrea Electronics Corporation. :)

Has anybody here used the TVS with Harman-Kardon Soundsticks? It's just about where I want it, but it seems a little choppy here and there. Wondering if anyone has found the perfect combination of settings for these speakers. Currently I have the speaker size set at 60MHz, 75% TruBass and the focus at 65%. Thanks!

Yes, it's possible, but I hope you people don't expect me to add support for every single sound card without telling me the service name. I don't have that kind of time to look through the drivers to find the service names. So unless you tell me what the service name is, I can't add support for it.

Edited by Ultima

It's probably ALCXWDM, not sure. Just make a REG file that he can merge after installing TVSM. If proves to be working, you can add it in the next TVS release.

Guest Guest

To Ultima:

Sorry for my stupidity. I was having a hard time figuring out where to find the service information. Is it found in [Details] tab under (audio device name) properties, under [services]?

If it is, then....

To sn0wl:

Assuming my guess is correct, then yes, it is ALCXWDM.

I apologize for not thinking before writing.

Heh I understand, no need to apologize. I was just stating that I have no possible way to do so without more information, not telling you to buzz off or anything ;P

That said, you found a great way to figure out the service name, as I didn't know about it, and indeed, it does give the correct one. Thanks =]

@sn0wl: I guess you can tell people how to find their audio device's service name in the first post.

- Start > Run > devmgmt.msc

- Find their audio device's name check its properties

- Under the Details tab, select Service in the dropdown, and that's the service name we're looking for

- Provide this service name along with the audio device manufacturer and model

Edited by Ultima

Manu: SigmaTel

Model: STAC9200

Service: STHDA

I'll have a play when i get a chance... been busy lately..

I have a 2nd laptop, here are the specs of the card.

If you can try to add support for it? Thanks.

Manufacturer: Cirrus Logic, Inc.

Model: Crystal WMD Audio Codec

Service: cs429x

See you,

Alcahest

Ooh I was experimenting with TVS and found out that the FilterFlag registry entry is indeed unneeded, as someone pointed out before... meaning the setup can be further streamlined, and a choice between 2-channel and 6-channel has been removed, since it affects TVS in no way. There are no other visible changes for users, as it's mostly under the hood, but makes life easier for me ;P

That said, I added an introduction for TVS in the setup, and there's only one .inf file now. I added services that people have requested up to now, but hesitate to send the new version because constant updates are a bit of a hassle when all that's required to get TVS working is a new registry entry at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters...

In any case, I decided that it's unimportant to know the manufacturer and model of the audio card, since all people would have to do to find out whether their sound card is supported is to look at the supported services and check their audio driver service to see if it matches anywhere. So sn0wl, can you update the first post to reflect this? Thanks, and sorry for bugging you repeatedly about changing the first post ;P

What I really want to do now is figure out a way to detect the audio service automatically, so that I don't have to add support manually, but since I'm such a n00b with this stuff, I doubt I'd be able to do it. Here's to hoping that I do find that solution xP

Yeah. That's just an update with what I've been up to =]