LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Virtual Sound | Sound output enhancement

hazart

That's odd, it still says that there's only been one download O.o

Anyway, I'm not an expert in this, but I do believe that TVSHD checks its registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters for the names of all supported sound card services, and if at least one such service is running, it will allow TVS to work. Do you know the name of the Windows service for your sound card? Would it happen to be WDM_YAMAHAAC97? You might be able to figure it out by browsing HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services for it. Mine, for example, is stac97, and that's what I added into my .inf file.

[Tvs_Parameters_AddReg];[FilterFlag]

; bit-00: <FILTER_FLAG_CODEC_AC97> 0:Others 1:AC97 Audio

; bit-01: <FILTER_FLAG_CODEC_HDA> 0:Others 1:High Definition Audio

; bit-02: <FILTER_FLAG_SAMPLERATE_VARIABLE> 0:Constant 1:Variable

; bit-03: <FILTER_FLAG_BITDEPTH_20BIT> 0:16bit 1:20bit (only for SoundMAX AC97 with ICH6/7)

; bit-04: <FILTER_FLAG_BITDEPTH_32BIT> 0:16bit 1:32bit

; bit-05: <FILTER_FLAG_CHANNELS> 0:2ch 1:4ch/6ch

; bit-06: <FILTER_FLAG_EMULATEMODE> 0:OFF(2ch) 1:ON(6ch emulation)

; bit-07: <FILTER_FLAG_BYPASSCHKWINDVD> 0:Checking WinDVD 1:Bypass Checking WinDVD

; bit-08-32: <Reserved>

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,DeviceCount,%REG_DWORD%,4

;[aeaudio/Analog Devices AC97]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,ServiceName1,%REG_SZ%,aeaudio

;[2ch] 0000-1101b (0x0D)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,FilterFlag1,%REG_DWORD%,0x0000000D

;[6ch] 0100-1101b (0x4D)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters,FilterFlag1,%REG_DWORD%,0x0000004D

;[sthda/SigmaTel HDA]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName2,%REG_SZ%,sthda

;[2ch] 0001-0010b (0x12)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag2,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000012

;[6ch] 0101-0010b (0x52)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag2,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000052

;[stac97/SigmaTel STAC 9750 AC97]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName3,%REG_SZ%,stac97

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag3,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1110-1001b (0xE9)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag3,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000E9

;[WDM_YAMAHAAC97/Yamaha AC97]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName4,%REG_SZ%,WDM_YAMAHAAC97

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag4,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1110-1001b (0xE9)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag4,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000E9

If my guess about your sound card service is right, then all you'd have to do is edit the .inf file as such. The red and bold stuff I highlighted you might have to change when you edit (again, it all depends on your sound card). You have to figure out what your FilterFlag is based on the legend at the top (mine was 1010-1001b for 2 channel), and then from that, convert it into hexadecimal using this site (paste the number you derived into the "Enter binary ASCII here" field and press calculate, then take the hexadecimal value, and that's your FilterFlag). Be sure that when you're adding your sound card, to make it ServiceName4 and FilterFlag4 (increment the number), or you can just replace my entry if you like. If you decide to add (instead of replace), you might want to bump the DeviceCount up to 4.

After you edit my tvs.inf (you'll find it at DRIVE:\Program Files\Toshiba\Tvs\tvs.inf), I believe you can just right click the .inf and install from there, then manually include TvsTray.exe in your startup. Alternatively, you can recreate the installer and it'll do everything for you. Do note, though, that if you take this route, you have to edit the right .inf (2ch_tvs.inf if you have a 2 channel sound card, 6ch_tvs.inf if you have a 6 channel sound card). I personally edited both since the installer does allow you to select 2 channel and 6 channel. Anyway, after you edit the inf that you want, you can recreate the installer and run it.

Remember, you have to restart after you install for the tray to be able to appear.

@LSudlow: If you happen to read this thread, can you try the installer (assuming you also have a stac97 sound card) to confirm that it works for you, and that I'm not just getting very lucky?

Edited by Ultima

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• hazart

• sn0wl

• LSudlow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It installs but doesn't work. All sliders are at the left end of the scale and any attempt to change them gets lost as soon as I close the TVS control panel. It looks to me as if, despite being installed, it doesn't really activate or affect the sound on the stac chip. All the non-HD versions work fine.

Argh... back to the drawing board... It honestly works perfectly for me, totally... There's a clear and definite improvement in sound quality and clarity =T

There is a stac97 entry in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services for you, right?

Edited by Ultima

Yes there is a WDM_YAMAHAAC97 field in that registry location. Will just changing the registry setting that INF sets and restarting be enough? Anyway I will go try now.

It might -- I'm not 100% sure, as I only learned to modify .inf files as I was attempting to get this to work. Do test, thanks =]

Edited by Ultima

It works you kick arse.

lol thanks, I just recorded a video to show you guys too xD

It was not like we didn't believe you.

Anyway could you add that Yamaha service to your installer and update? We can host them here, I will drop you an email so you don't need to use rapidshare. Also maybe discovering other peoples services will do good. Thanks, again you kick that area.

Will do =]

Edit: Sent

Edited by Ultima

I tried it again and it works fine now. Nice work!

:)

Tried it on my 'allegro' sound card, and it sort of works.

I can get Circle Surround Xtract to work, well it just amplifies the exsting sound and adds a horrible trebble chirp to any sound/music.

The sliders don't do anything that I can tell.

To make the ES198x sound chipset work as above just add 'allegro' to the INF as above.

The filterflag can be almost anything (1 bit didn't work can't remember which) I can use 0,4,7,44,A9 all with same effect.

Might need some more trials on the filters.

But all the same very good work.

You can install any changes made to INF by installing the INF (right click) then reboot for changes to take affect.

Yep, Alcahest must have made a mistake. I just tested without the Registry entries, and TvsTray.exe didn't load up. This new version still "requires" HD sound cards (but still work with my installer =P).

I wonder... in the old TVS (non HD one), I didn't need that registry entry for TVS to work. Starting with the HD ones, I did, and with this newer one, I still need it. That tells me that it's not the fact that this filter ever needed a HD card, but that it always required some way of identifying supported cards. My guess is that they updated the installer to support those other laptops, not the filter itself.

Nope, no mistake.

Here is the NON-HD one :

http://dynabook.com/assistpc/download/modi...tvs/index_j.htm

Here is the HD one :

http://dynabook.com/assistpc/download/modi...tvs/index_j.htm

Later,

Alcahest

Are you sure, man? I still think they are both for HD. :) I might be wrong here.

Edited by hazart

Hehe you're right, i'm not so certain anymore and confused.

Because it seems the driver is the same, but the installer for link1 is intented for non-HD cards (such as those which can be found on E10, F10 and early G20 & F20) while the installer for link2 is supposed to be used on HD compatible cards (such as those which can be found on late G20 a G30)

Unless my audio card (09/2004) is HD compatible, but I would be extremely surprised. (it isn't natively supported by what i call the "HD" driver but works fine with the newest "Non-HD" driver, there must be a reason why Toshiba chose to do this..)

Btw, is there certain test which can tell if an audio card is HD or not?

See you!

Alcahest

Edited by Alcahest

• 3 months later...

TVS 1.03.12 is out and uploaded (see first post).

Is there someone who can translate the japanese changelog to english (worldlingo fails this time :) ): Thanks Ultima :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bladehell

hi

i have satellite L10 (with sitcker SRS (0) Trusurround XT) and my sound card is Conexant AMC 3D Environmental AC'97 (AC-Link).

can i use TVS toshiba virtual sound? :)

i try all TVS Version 1.XX.XX and TVS M,no TVS icon was shown in the task bar notification area.

When i click on Toshiba virtual sound properties ,TVS properties don 't show, exe do aynthing.

• 4 weeks later...

It worked on my Satellite M35X, Realtek AC'97 audio. I have the Trusurround XT sticker, and I had the SRS Trusurround XT plugin for WMP, which is awesome. So, all this did for me was just add a Toshiba Virtual Sound Program, which starts up on startup of XP. Not much of an improvement from before the install, but TVS is a good program.

Thanks.

Hi

I have Sattelite L10 !!!

You have to take and to install:

1. VIA Vinyl Audio Codec 6.60f - drivers

2.Tvs TVS 10308

3. TVS.ini

;[VIAudio / VIA]

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,ServiceName4,%REG_SZ%,VIAudio

;[2ch] 1010-1001b (0xA9)

HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag4,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000A9

;[6ch] 1010-1101b (0xAD)

;HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%RegistryPath%\Parameters\,FilterFlag4,%REG_DWORD%,0x000000AD

4. Add to Register

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tvs\Parameters]

"DeviceCount"=dword:00000009

"ServiceName4"="VIAudio"

"FilterFlag4"=dword:000000A9

Cheers,

Gumis

• 1 month later...

1.03.09 or 12 or 13 doesn't work on a L10?