LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell 9400 and lid closing...

vortex-5

Does anyone know the mod to do to the inf files to get them to shutdown the screen when the lid's closed?

I really miss this feature, I really want to enjoy knowning the screen is closed when the lid is closed again.

The Lidbehavior doesn't seem to do anything the dell value is 0x11 which is the same as the LV2GO all I've used the version with my system and the 84.29 version released here which had a note that it was actually released by dell. Both my original divers and the dell released version have the lid close feature. Although the latter didn't wake up the screen which was easily patched with MapOSD4ToNV 2.

I'd appreciate it if anyone knows the key to getting this lid close thing to work. I've tried franken merging the contents of the dell inf file to the standard inf files with no luck (the .SoftwareSettings group)

The following line in the Control Panel section of the inf has always worked:

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\LidCloseSetPower"

But as far as I know, Pieter includes it in his infs.

Guest Guest

this wasn't included in version 84.21

also it seems my original dell drivers set also doesn't include this key addition.

however it seems HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\LidCloseSetPower" is already in my reigistry. Are there any values associated with this because it's only a key.

Does it work with the 84.29 and 84.30 drivers with the Dell INF?

If those don't work then I don't know what would.

You also have to have it set that way in windows and maybe the BIOS you know, go to the windows power options and check that as well.

If the Dell INFs in those drivers work then we will know what you need to put in.

From what I've been reading lidsetpower is for LCD's that stay black.

I'm having trouble with my LCD not blanking out when I close the lid. I don't want my computer going into standby or anything i just want my screen to turn off when I close the lid and turn back on when I open it. This is the default behavior with the official drivers but I can't reproduce this with 84.21.

Although if I "upgrade" to the newer dell driver 84.29 released here (not for my series) when I close the lid it switches the output to CRT at the same time shutting off the screen.

I think I'll go back and test the dell drivers listed here with peiter's inf files to see if it's actually an registry or inf based tweak. Who knows dell might have built in lid detection on their drivers or something.

Edited by vortex-5

Does it work with the 84.29 and 84.30 drivers with the Dell INF?

If those don't work then I don't know what would.

You also have to have it set that way in windows and maybe the BIOS you know, go to the windows power options and check that as well.

If the Dell INFs in those drivers work then we will know what you need to put in.

Yes it does work with dell 84.29 driver with dell inf.

when I get home I'll test with dell drivers without dell inf to see if it's actually in the inf file. Don't want to wast type decypering options if it actually isn't there.

Which card do you have exactly?

Are you forcing the install with the Dell drivers?

If it works correctly with the Dell 84.29 then it definitely should be the INF. (if it is not the INF, then a particular driver is broken in this regard)

There are device specific HKR settings for your card in the INF, should be able to pretty much copy and paste some over and it will fix the probelm on a non-Dell driver.

Tell me your card and the driver you want the Dell tweaks in and I'll fix one up as well as a list of tweaks so you can easily copy into other drivers.

I'm currently running the 9400 series notebook with a nVidia 7800 Go.

I've tried copy and pasting the dell ControlPanel area which has alot of HKLM keys, and the SoftwareSettings area which contain alot of HKR.

I'm trying to use 84.21 as per your recommendation. Which doesn't do that. The dell drivers 84.29 outputs to external display whenever the lid is closed (default behavior without modded inf).

However this has some minor undesireable effect like my desktop icons being thrown all over the place due to a screen resize once the screen returns. The original drivers did no do this they are v.78.59 series.

If you find out what line it is it would be great, cause I've tried copy and pasting most of the registry settings.

Well it semms even with the modded inf on the 84.29 the dell driver still maintains it's behavior of switching the output to the monitor. could it be possible that this means I won't be able to get this feature working with an inf only hack?

Ok guys I've figured out where this feature is comming from.

the nVidia driver service nvsvc32.exe listed in your services as nVidia Display Driver Service I'm able to verify this by shutting down the service. What will happen is my monitor will stop the auto dim feature after this service is shut down.

I'm going to now attempt to install another driver and overwrite their version of nvsvc32.exe with dell's version. Since nvsvc32 can be shutdown safely I'll assume that I can overwrite it safely as well. If this works then I might finally be able to use non-dell drivers as long as I remember to patch my exe after.

wish me luck...

edit: Ok I just noticed now that the nvsvc32 isn't even enabled in the 84.21 drivers (stupid me) it works now but there's one final glitch.

like the dell 84.29 drivers the drivers switch my screen to 1024x748 before going blank. This causes my icons to jump. It does this because when the lid closes the video output goes to the CRT. Now does anyone know how to force CRT detection so I can force the external monitor to default to a resolution higher than my LCD size so the icons on my desktop won't get jumbled?

Edited by vortex-5

• 1 month later...
like the dell 84.29 drivers the drivers switch my screen to 1024x748 before going blank. This causes my icons to jump. It does this because when the lid closes the video output goes to the CRT. Now does anyone know how to force CRT detection so I can force the external monitor to default to a resolution higher than my LCD size so the icons on my desktop won't get jumbled?

I had this issue with the Dell shipping drivers for the XPS M1710 and 7900GTX. The new 87.08 drivers seems to have fixed this issue :)