LaptopVideo2Go Forums

laptop overheating?

rts23

As most ppl with Dell M170's with a go 7800 gtx can probably hear, the laptop makes a "buzzing noise" when playing computer games. This noise does not come from the speakers and is not the fan. I have been told the noise is coming from the laptop siphoning more power from the AC adapter for graphics applications (the noise isn't made when running on battery or anything other than "max performance"). Anyways, recently I noticed when playing Age of Empires 3 that this noise would stop after playing for a while. As soon as the nosie stopped, the performance went to hell and was very laggy. I found this is now occuring in all the games I play now. It seems to me to be an overheating issue, as temps are reaching into the 90s (in Celcius) and I am in a dusty environment (s***ty dorm room). Anybody know what's going on? Thanks

Btw I am using 84.25's, and have already tried rolling back to original Dells.

Edited by rts23

Your probably right the power gobbled by the go7800 GTX is stressing the AC Adaptor.

How hot does this get ?

When the games slow up. the GPU is going into self preservation mode (not fry it's self)

The GPU will go into a lower power mode and slow the core speed down, and use less power.

This will also mean the AC adpator needs to supply less power to the laptop and stops buzzing.

The price you pay for all that power in a laptop that can't easily get rid of all that heat.

Being in a dusty environment isn't helping either, I would blast some cmpressed air around the vents quite often to make sure the fans can apply maximum cooling.

Try wedging something under the back of the laptop to make a gap between the lappy and what ever it sits on to help air flow.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried propping the laptop up a littel to increase airflow and I cleaned it with compressed air; stil the same problem. Whats strange is if it is indeed an overheating issue, I dont understand why my fans aren't going on high. I ran Dell diagnostics to check the fans and temperature probes, and all tests passed. Does anybody know what temp by default the fans kick into high gear at?

Is there a key combo you need to activate the full speed fans like on some Clevo based models ?

Anything in the BIOS ?

no, the fan controls dont even show up in bios, apparently Dell has hidden them. after playing for an extremely long time, they will go to high, but it seems as if they should be going to higher sooner, if my assumption about it overheating is true.

Have a Google for an App called Fangui or something.

It's an app for controlling fan speeds and starting temps.

This may be of help

no luck, its still doin the same thing. i think it may be time to talk to warranty support. thanks for the help though

After playing around with i8kfangui program, i realized that the temperature that the program reports is much lower than the one which my nvidia drivers are reporting. I tried a couple of other drivers and yet the fangui program is reporting the gpu temp to be about 15 degrees lower than nvidia drivers are. Anybody know why?

Wild guess... the temperature can be measured at two different places, nvidia in the GPU core and Dell one on the GPU heatsink.

Plus the fact that your hardware is one year younger than the latest build of I8KFanGUI.

Try the latest bios flash on the Dell website A05 it has the fans running all the time, some like some don't.

• 1 year later...
Guest steev3d

I have a similar problem with my inspiron 9400 and my Gforce 2 go 7800 card.

When I use the current version of NVIDiA Control Panel I see that my system fan is running at 31889 RPM yet the nForce Fan (presumabley the GPU) is running at 675 RPM and Aux2 Fan is running at 18 RPM. It seems the bios stops me from changing the fan speeds using the control panel.

My Vid card is not overclocked my fan vents are all clean yet my CPU fan is running flat out all the time and the GPU temp is a constant 83-83 deg C. I can feel the heat of it through the keyboard and this can't be good.

As I have Dual Centrino Processors so apparently I can't use FanGui.

Does anyone know if is there some bios hack I can use that will allow NVidia Control panel to access the GPU fan speed?

I reckon if I could ramp it up a bit then I wouldnt have this problem.

Thanks

Steve