LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Former ATI M9700 User switched to Nvidia GeForce Go 7800

WFO

I hate asking such a noob question... your installation instructions are quite complete yet I have not been able to get anything beyond 82.12s to work on my Geforce Go 7800. :) I've been uninstalling, booting to safe mode, and using Driver Cleaner Pro to clean the remnants. Your installation instructions make it sound like you recommend installing drivers over the top as you say if the driver doesn't work to just roll back to the previous driver. My installs seem to go fine. When I increase the resolution, everything goes to hell and I no longer have a uasable screen. No biggie as I just re-image with Acronis. Should I be installing drivers over the top and manually instead of a clean install with setup.exe?

TIA :)

Installing over the top is only recommended if your upgrading to a driver not too far away from the one already installed.

Best is remove driver (uninstall) then reboot and point windows to the new driver with modded INF or run setup

modded INF replacing old INF is the key.

Also make sure automatic updates isn't installing the original driver back in it's place (disable this)

Installing over the top is only recommended if your upgrading to a driver not too far away from the one already installed.

Best is remove driver (uninstall) then reboot and point windows to the new driver with modded INF or run setup

modded INF replacing old INF is the key.

Also make sure automatic updates isn't installing the original driver back in it's place (disable this)

Thanks for the response. It turns out my prep had nothing to do with it. When using the have disk method, I receieved an unable to install hardware message. According to the message, a service parameter in the .inf was invalid. I'd love to post a screenshot... unfortunately, I didn't get it to a safe location prior to re-imaging again. It wouldn't have helped pinpoint the invalid portion as it wasn't specific enough. Do Sager/Clevos require a special.inf? I did use the modified one with the 84.25 drivers.

Do Sager/Clevos require a special.inf? I did use the modified one with the 84.25 drivers.

You can't be sure that all new drivers work without problems - look at my experiences (=BSODs) with the post 84.xx drivers: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8245

Try enabling ot disabling NVIDIA driver services.

START

RUN

Type 'services.msc'

Now disable or enable NVIDIA driver services depending on if it's already enabled or not.

Just to enhance my knowledge what is the mission on earth of the Nvidia driver service? I know that it's enabled in automatic startup with desktop cards and disabled on drivers available here when installed on Go cards.

The driver service is an odd thing, not 100% sure what it does exactly

But it is needed for the new control panel to work.

I have found (and many others) that it causes memory errors when shutting down and makes the system unstable.

This is only for notebooks hence the disableing for us lappy owners.

Try enabling ot disabling NVIDIA driver services.

START

RUN

Type 'services.msc'

Now disable or enable NVIDIA driver services depending on if it's already enabled or not.

Okay, I'll try again tonight. Would I even have the nvidia service when all traces of the nvidia driver have already been removed prior to using "have disk?" (I'm back to the Windows VGA Driver before installation) Also if just the driver is installed using "have disk," which .exe in the Nvidia folder do I click on to install the proggie that allows overclocking/testing the card after driver installation?

Thanks for the help! :)

Edit: I found this post at notebook forums. I think this may be the exact wording of the error message...

What Nvidia driver is everyone running?

I can't seem to get any of the ones on laptopvideo2go.com installed with the modded inf.

They all say...service installation section in this INF is invalid

The only one I got to work is the one from the Sager website.

Edited by WFO

I think clevo INF might not even install the service at all.

I'd have to have a look.

So 82.12 was last to work ? with clevo INF

Sorry forgot to log in. That was me above.

Edit...and I've been using the standard modded .inf. I've only seen the Clevo .inf with one set of 32 bit drivers. I'm installing on x64. I've seen installation problems reported with both x64 and x86. I haven't read any reports on the 84.22s with a Clevo .inf.

Edited by WFO

I'll have a look at the Clevo INFs

82.12 looking at it now, is a nightmare INF, it uses 32bit parts and installs very few 64bits.

I'm surprised out of all the 64bit drivers that this works, or is it because of the non 64bit driver parts.

I really need a newer 64bit driver to work from.

I do believe 77.13 was the only 64bit driver for Clevo based machines.

I'll try and do something with this and base future INFs on how this works.

Right, hopefully this is it.

I've grabbed 77.13 (Clevo 64bit driver) and then grabbed 84.26 and merged them together.

The mobile 64bit GPU's will run the same bits as 77.13 but with 84.26 files.

This means no driver service will be installed at all, this is even more drastic than the 32bit where the files are installed but not enabled.

Desktop 64bit GPU's will run 84.26 as normal and have NV Driver service enabled

SO head over to 84.26 and give this a whirl INF v31.67 should be used, I only want happy results :)

Thanks for the effort but no joy! :) I got the attached error during install. On the reboot it appeared the driver was installed as the screen resolution was normal. Immediate BSOD with "system service exception

nv4_mini.sys

post-3450-1146191361_thumb.png

Edited by WFO

Smells like it's the proper time to propose a Live animal sacrifice.

ps1: unless you are a PETA member... then you'll have to jump to teenage virgin sacrifice.

ps2: THIS IS A JOKE. :)

Guest Guest
Thanks for the effort but no joy! :) I got the attached error during install. On the reboot it appeared the driver was installed as the screen resolution was normal. Immediate BSOD with "system service exception

nv4_mini.sys

I tried these drivers on mine and I got the same error message. But after a reboot I have not had any blue screens.

The Nvidia control panel is now not accessable though.

I hate Guests.... :)

I hate Guests.... :)

:) Well, obviously that was me at 04:47 in the morning. :P I'm used to sites that redirect me to log in because guests aren't allowed to post. My bad. Haven't tried disabling Dep yet. Hopefully this weekend. :(

EVGA has new beta x64 drivers too. I may try them with an .inf from here too.

Edited by WFO

:) Well, obviously that was me at 04:47 in the morning. :) I'm used to sites that redirect me to log in because guests aren't allowed to post. My bad. Haven't tried disabling Dep yet. Hopefully this weekend. :P

What browser do you use? Under Firefox I logged only one time the day that I registered.

ps: glad you understood that the I hate guest was friendly... I still think it's painfull to follow a thread with more than one guest.

OK try using the 77.13 INF with a 80series driver.

OK try using the 77.13 INF with a 80series driver.

Hi MN, I just installed the 84.56s with the 82.12 .inf. I used setup.exe and everything went great. The driver installed with the new files. My 3DMark 06 score was over 400 points highr than the last time I ran it. :)

And it was 50 plus points higher than my previous best. :) :P

Just for grins I also installed the latest Sager driver 84.22 in x86. It installed the NVidia driver service and it starts automatically.

I wish I could be of more help in figuring out what the problem was with the other .infs. Keep up the good work. We laptop owners would really be without if it weren't for your efforts. :(

post-3450-1146381768_thumb.png

post-3450-1146381818_thumb.png

This is so weird, 82.12 only really installs 32bit parts of the driver.

But if it works I may need to make INFs based on this INF.