LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best Drivers for Dell XPS M1710

jonno

Heya guys i just need to know what the latest, most stable and up to date drivers for the Dell XPS M1710 notebook computer with a nVidia GeForce 7900GTX Go (512mb) are...

Reply soon please ^_^

Have you tried 84.29 Dell's latest

84.43 the very latest driver ?

84.37 the next latest by 1 day

latter 2 need modded INF.

• 4 weeks later...
any one know?

I've installed 91.28 for my XPS M1710. On the original driver from Dell, I was getting 'video hardware unrecognised' message during Oblivion installation and terrible stuttering during the gameplay. Unfortunatelly, the 91.28 didn't resolve the problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Video hardware not recognised is not an issue... it just means that your graphic card did't exist when the game was developped. So it doesn't know which setings are the best for you...

The stuttering you get comes from the fact that Oblivion is probably the most hardware intensive game available right now. It requires a computer that costs a kidney, an eye and an arm... Especially if you try to run it in full details in full resolution.

I believe you tried to run the game in 1920x1200 with all the sliders to the right in 4x antialiasing... *rolls eyes*

Video hardware not recognised is not an issue... it just means that your graphic card did't exist when the game was developped. So it doesn't know which setings are the best for you...

The stuttering you get comes from the fact that Oblivion is probably the most hardware intensive game available right now. It requires a computer that costs a kidney, an eye and an arm... Especially if you try to run it in full details in full resolution.

I believe you tried to run the game in 1920x1200 with all the sliders to the right in 4x antialiasing... *rolls eyes*

Thanks for replying. You may be right with the first suggestion (graphic card newer than the game), however, when trying to find solution I of course have lowered the game settings to a minimum, no antialiasing, 800X600 resolution etc, then to medium, and so on. No improvement though.

I've recently discovered however, that disabling the sound card hardware acceleration removes most of the stuttering, but the sound is awful of course, not a real solution then.

Reinstalling sound drivers didn't help.

You sould be able to play "smoothly" in 1280x800 with your hardware. I added quotes around smoothly because the smoothness is something that changes from person to person.

Set your resolution to 1280x800, disable VSYNC, dump the grass, activate Bloom instead of HDR. With those settings your rig might be able to reach full resolution.

To display the frame rate bring the console and type tdt (or dtd).

And please don't judge the frame rate of this game with the jail cell... there is something REALLY wrong with this room.

About the sound, I get no issues on my gear and I have a pretty lousy Sigmtel C-Major Audio with really old drivers 5.10.0.4255. Try disabling the music during the game.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Guest
You sould be able to play "smoothly" in 1280x800 with your hardware. I added quotes around smoothly because the smoothness is something that changes from person to person.

Set your resolution to 1280x800, disable VSYNC, dump the grass, activate Bloom instead of HDR. With those settings your rig might be able to reach full resolution.

To display the frame rate bring the console and type tdt (or dtd).

And please don't judge the frame rate of this game with the jail cell... there is something REALLY wrong with this room.

About the sound, I get no issues on my gear and I have a pretty lousy Sigmtel C-Major Audio with really old drivers 5.10.0.4255. Try disabling the music during the game.

These peopl on here don't know anything. (roll eyes) lol

I had tghe same oprmlem with Call of Duty 2. I havn't got oblivion but try this.

Stick game on full settings and boot as normal. The ctrl+alt+delete task manager up.

Right click the game in question and go to set affinity. Uncheck cpu1.

Game will work with no stuttering now. Well it did for me and i'm playing COD2 at 1920x1200 4xAA on a lappy smooth as ######. :)

These peopl on here don't know anything. (roll eyes) lol

*failing to find a better word*

Dumbfuck...

First: could you PLEASE explain how to force Oblivion to work on the first core... WHEN I HAVE ONLY ONE CORE?

Second: it's possible that the dev studio behind Call of Duty 2 doesn't know how to program a game. Poor programming is pretty common... even the best dev can do stupid choices. ie: for a longtime Quake 2 online stalled if you had a connection faster than a 56k. In the case of Oblivion... the game was build with the word MULTITHREADING written in blood letters on the dev screens. From the ground up the game supports and works better when you have multiple core. (real or hyperthreading) This goes from the graphic engine, the face generation, the physics or even the tree generation.

ps: please refrain Guest from posting outside the *guest room*... PLEASE. *shoving shells in the shotgun* :)

Guest Big_Al
*failing to find a better word*

Dumbfuck...

First: could you PLEASE explain how to force Oblivion to work on the first core... WHEN I HAVE ONLY ONE CORE?

Second: it's possible that the dev studio behind Call of Duty 2 doesn't know to program a game. Poor programming is pretty common... even the best dev can do stupid choices. ie: for a longtime Quake 2 online stalled if you had a connection faster than a 56k. In the case of Oblivion... the game was build with the word MULTITHREADING written in blood letters on the dev screens. From the ground up the game supports and works better when you have multiple core. (real or hyperthreading) This goes from the graphic engine, the face generation, the physics or even the tree generation.

ps: please refrain Guest from posting outside the *guest room*... PLEASE. *shoving shells in the shotgun* :)

Can you read??? Dumbfuck???? He's asking about the m1710 not your one cpu s*** rig.

I said i havn't tried oblivion.

Call of Duty 2 is multithreaded as of update 1.01

I have tried this on 1.01 1.1 1.2 and 1.3. So you don't kmnow what you are on about.

You haven't even got one of these machines so how can you be an expert?

My dual Opteron 246 with a 6800 ultra doesn't have this stuttering.

So it's something to do with the dell.

You are a fool. I am trying to help with legitimate ideas and you are just talking about something you obviously don't know anything about.

Can you read??? Dumbfuck???? He's asking about the m1710 not your one cpu s*** rig.

OK so I hurted you with dumbfuck lets try something else. Mental giant the name calling is refering to following quote about us:

"These peopl on here don't know anything. (roll eyes) lol"

I don't want to start counting points but this thread is about the best driver to play Oblivion on a dual core laptop. You have a dual core laptop... so it's one point for you... I played Oblivion with a lot of drivers versions on my laptop... that's 2 points for me. So at LEAST SHOW SOME RESPECT!

I have no doubt that you "solved" your issue with Call of Duty 2 by limiting the game to one core. I happen to have Oblivion on 2 machines here one being my laptop the other my desktop which bears a dual core Athlon, 3Gb and a 7600 GT. Believe me this is far from being todays top notch graphic hardware but OBLIVION is a hardware CRUSHER.

Please give this Anandtech Oblivion article a read. You'll see that a top notch desktop PC with a 7900 GTX will only reach 29 fps at 1280x1200. So trying to feed a 1920x1200 screen with a lesser hardware will lead to one thing a FREAKING SLIDESHOW.

ps: there are multiple causes to bad game performance... from the top of my head the worse is probably a crappy sound card/drivers.

Edited by Fabrice Roux