LaptopVideo2Go Forums

WUXGA - 17 or 15.4?

remford

I'm trying to finalize the decision matrix between two WUXGA-based systems, one being 17" and the other 15.4". My initial reaction was to go for the 17" under the pretenses that when it comes to displays, bigger is always better, I've owned a 17" notebook in the past, and with WUXGA running at its native 1920 x 1200 resolution, that kind of size leverages the ability to use multiple windows and application workspaces most efficiently. Now I'm not so sure.

The 17" E1705 comes in at 8+ pounds, with a pretty big "+". It's a schlep for sure, and despite the usefulness of its large display area, little about it is portable and traveling with it is a chore. 15.4" is the obvious solution, and I've found a nearly-identical spec'd system within $100 price, but I have serious concerns about running that display at 1920 x 1200, due to the small size of the text. I don't relish the option of enlarging the fonts, as that wastes much of the usable area gained by having 1920 x 1200 to use to begin with. The 15.4" comes in near 6 lbs, which is much more reasonable; and it also has the option of adding secondary HDD's or second battery in its media bay.

Has anyone else straddled this size vs. high resolution issue? I'd really appreciate the benefit of the insight of those who have trod before me.

Thanks in advance.

Go for 17" as the WUXGA will look bigger and you don't have to squint.

On a laptop sitting close is a little different, but external bigger (font and size) is always better.

30" WQXGA Dell or Apple :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

cant remember what the difference in resolutions is between WUXGA and WSXGA or whatever is. I bought a basic monitor for my Inspiron 5150. Mind you, with the video card supplied, 1024x768 is the absolute max res for any game I play. with a more powerful card, I'd say go with higher resolution screens (or bigger, usually supports higher res).

That really depends on personal preference, you have to try.

Personally, I would go with WSXGA+ (1400x1050) max on a 15.4''. That's almost exactly the same pixel size as 1920x1200 on a 19''.

I think 1400x1050 doesn't exist on a widescreen laptop as that isn't a widescreen resolution. 1440x900 should be a good resolution for a 15.4" laptop, or 1680x1050 seems perfect to me!

hope it exists for the laptop you want ! I should go for the 15.4" laptop, as in my opinion an 17" laptop is way too big (unless you find a small design one). I know somebody with an 17" acer, and that thing is way too big and it looks quite clumsy too.)

Sorry, 1680x1050 was of course what I meant!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, new member here.

I previously owned one of the first Dell Latitude D800s off the line with 1920x1200 at 15.4" and now own a Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV650 17" with the same resolution. Having owned both, it's a night and day difference. 1920x1200 was just too high, even after several years' use with good eyesight, it didn't add any huge value except to impress others. There was too little HD video to take advantage of the high res screen, for work applications an external monitor was more important, and I constantly turned down the res when showing someone else something.

The Toshiba 17" in contrast seems like exactly the right size. It's bigger and bulkier, but that makes the 1920x1200 work. If you're staying with 15", by all means get the WUXGA but be prepared to be running it at a much lower res much of the time...

• 1 month later...

actually 1400x1050 widescreen does exist :) well i know it does on my laptop......only problem is......it's really a waste of a choice cause it doesn't even look good....that's why i stick to 1920x1200 :)

Edited by ®®®

• 4 weeks later...
actually 1400x1050 widescreen does exist :) well i know it does on my laptop......only problem is......it's really a waste of a choice cause it doesn't even look good....that's why i stick to 1920x1200 :)

1400x1050 is 4:3, which is not widescreen. Unless the pixels are rectangular or something. :P However, 1920x1200 is 16:10, which IS widescreen.

The 16/10 screen that has 1050 pixels vertical is the 1680x1050.