LaptopVideo2Go Forums

MXM or not?

LordChaos80

Hello everyone, (great site btw, keep up the good work :) ...)

Allow me to get straight to the point: I have an ASUS A6K Notebook with one of those unholy TurboCache cards, in fact a Geforce Go 6200 TC (DEVid:0167) with 64MB onboard and the "ability" to use 192 MB of my system ram. However, I was quite confident that a later upgrade at least to a 6600 MXM-I might be an option (or perhaps even a 7600, if they should be available for the MXM-I standard one day). But now I am a little bit confused by that NERD-tool which I found on this site. I think I got it right that its integrated MXM-compatibility-checker is only working under pure DOS mode, isn't it? Anyway, I still wonder, if its results are really reliable...

First Running under Windows (XP), I got this one:

-----------------------------

- MXM Compatibility Checker -

=> Returned: 8680.0000.0000.0000

=> No MXM compatibility available.

So far, so useless. Now after booting DOS6.22, the MXM-checker came up with this:

- MXM Compatibility Checker -

=> Returned: 5FFF.0000.0000.0000

=> No MXM compatibility available.

So, do I have to accept the fact to have a 6200 which is definetely NOT MXM or might this diagnosis be untrue, corrupted or whatever? Would be glad if some experts could provide any input on this... thx in advance. :)

Regards, Martin

P.S.: Attached u will find the whole logfile of NERD (ran within Windows XP) for reference...

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

I'm confused,too...

I was under the impression that Asus dropped MXM after th Z81/A4 (I was led to believe so by an Asus rep).

Your DOS log is interersting...

Returning 005Fh would have meant MXM, 5FFF is so ###### close I can taste it. Other opinions?

If you should ever decide to pop the hood, make sure to take pictures! :)

Thx for ur reply, Ice-Tea.

So all the MXM-NB's out there returned that 005fh so far? Then maybe it's just the way u said and mine isn't MXM at all. I dunno... Perhaps I should really have a closer look as my guarantee is already wasted because of an unauthorized bios-resoldering done before. Any other opinions? Perhaps any A6K-user who knows more?? :)

"integrated MXM-compatibility-checker is only working under pure DOS mode" Yes that's true. I haven't excluded Teraphy's NV_MXM tool from NERD yet. I doesn't hurt though if it stays. Just maybe confusing people :)

A bit offtopic but the logfile says your Memory Upgrade Limit is 8GB :) - ... which is hard to believe, too! ASUS may have new ways of implementation of memory and mxm.....

"integrated MXM-compatibility-checker is only working under pure DOS mode" Yes that's true. I haven't excluded Teraphy's NV_MXM tool from NERD yet. I doesn't hurt though if it stays. Just maybe confusing people :)

Yes, but as u see I was aware of that. So what do u think about my pure-DOS-result? Have u seen that before or is it something totally untypical? Wuerde gerne Deine Einschaetzung hoeren, da Du ja offenbar der Nerd-Mastermind bist... :)

A bit offtopic but the logfile says your Memory Upgrade Limit is 8GB :P - ... which is hard to believe, too! ASUS may have new ways of implementation of memory and mxm.....

Yes, that's indeed kind of strange. On the other hand, isn't ASUS notorious for cooking it's own soup? However the upgrade limit is of course nothing else than the common 2GB...

Gruss aus Wuhan, China...

Martin

Your NERD log is the closest to confirming MXM we ever had. That includes laptops we of which we know they are MXM. Basically, there are two means of deteming if it's MXM or not, NERD checks only one, and I haven't been able to check the other one.

So, I would certainly not rule out your lappy as I/we mayt have misintepreted the standard, maybe Toshiba did, or maybe the content of the EEPROM has just shifted a byte, the bios readouttool works like this...

There are plenty ways how this could have resulted in your log...

Only way to know for sure is to pop the hood.. Or actually, I have a Toshiba source (kinda). I'll check if I can find something out :)

Was off for a while due to the 1st may holidays. If u find out anything plz post here again. If I should pop the hood, I'll surely post some pics. But that would have to wait until I come back to Germany in July. Thx for your sharing of knowledge so far... :)

Yes, Pop the Hood :)

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

I'm gonna post also here, cause LordChaos80 has also got an A6km Notebook...altough the treath is already quite old.

I checked my system with the tool from the mxm-upgrade page and got the same result, as LordChaos80

--> 5FFF.0000.0000.0000

--> No MXM compatibility available.

It's a geforce go 7300 inside...

Ice-Tea - Do u know more already?? Is it mxm, or not???

I checked the Notebook also with the Nerd tool! Post the log also here.

Also, I tried to get the hood off the Notebook, but I don't know how?????? I unscrewed all screws, I could find, but didn't get the hood completely off. :) Does anybody know, if there're some more hidden screws?? Some help would be fine!

1510071856dv2.th.jpg

-

best

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt