LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware Area 51-7700m Battlefield

Zeitgeist

Hello,

I have n Alienware and it has the 6800Go card. None of the drivers I have installed are working with BF2. It was working until the last card updates and now it will load and run only on a freshly started system. If I play the game and quit then try to restart it it crashes and closes before anyhting happens just, Black screen............ZAP back to windows like nothing has happened except my time wasted and nerves frustrated. I have done the modded INF from here and run 84.21 but still no avail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeffery

Area 51

1.75 ram

3.6CPU

6800Go w/256

Edited by ®®®

Is your Battlefield 2 upto date?

Battlefield 2 1.22 patch

Disable all the crappy apps that are useless in the background. I'm thinking Desktop "enhancer" and stuff that is not required to run 100% of the time.

Turn off programs such as Daemon Tools or Alcohol.

Is your Battlefield 2 upto date?

Battlefield 2 1.22 patch

Disable all the crappy apps that are useless in the background. I'm thinking Desktop "enhancer" and stuff that is not required to run 100% of the time.

Turn off programs such as Daemon Tools or Alcohol.

Hello Fabrice,

It is current and up to date. No crap apps in the back ever. Nor Alcohol or Daemon's. I am really scratching my head over this. :) EA is no help Alienware is no help all very useless. Every other game works and looks great all the Valve titles, Call of Duty 2. etc...

Thanks again,

Zeitgeist

I JUST FOUND OUT WHATS WRONG!!! READ THIS! It has to do with your Refreshrate, change it to whatever you use.

here is what you need to do.

1, go to your (My Documents) folder on your desktop.

2, open your (Battlefield 2) folder

3, open the (Profiles) folder

4, open the (Default) folder

5, open the (Video.con) file in Notepad or change it to (Video.txt)

6, whe you open the file change the default rez and refresh rate to (1600x1200@61Hz)

7, and thats it!....now save the file back to (Video.con)

Default file****

VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 3

VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 3

VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 3

VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 3

VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 0

VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 3

VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 3

VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 3

VideoSettings.setResolution 1600x1200@61Hz <------------change to this!!

VideoSettings.setAntialiasing Off

VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 1

VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 3

I JUST FOUND OUT WHATS WRONG!!! READ THIS! It has to do with your Refreshrate, change it to whatever you use.

Hi Thanks for the input I found out an easier way on a differnt site. Planetbattlefield forum this worked perfect and now I am running at 1920X1080 oNE WORD AWESOME!! Thanksa again for the input here is the solution as lots of ppl had the first part right it was the 2nd sets that made it happen:

1 .Set your resolution to 1920x1200(or what ever you want that your card and screen support)

2. Right Click on the Desktop icon for BF2 and hit properties

THEN go to TARGET line.

3. Cut and paste the following:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" D:\Games\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

4. Go into your "My Documents" folder and click on

THEN BF 2

THEN Profiles

5.Erase ALL video.con files you see in 001, 002 and default. This only affect video setiing all other data will be saved.

6. The game should now boot (unlike before)

7. Go into options

THEN Video

All settings will be default!

Configure as you see fit-

Make sure to max out rez at 1600x1200!!! Its mute point here since the target line mod supersedes this,

8. Apply the settings

9. Pwn some NOOBS!!!

10. :)Enjoy!!!

Zeit

I knew that I was right when I told numerous time on this forum that Battlefield 2 was programmed like crap. But it's REALLY REALLY BAD.

*ROLLS EYES*

I believe that there is an API call that allows to retrieve the supported mode of the combination of monitor and video card. For example when I installed the modded INF with 84.25, Oblivion allowed the "new" widescreen modes.

ps: ADMINS add this thread infos to the Battlefield 2 FAQ in the gaming forum. This refresh rate issue is limited to laptops with exotic refresh rates LCDs.

Edited by Fabrice Roux

I knew that I was right when I told numerous time on this forum that Battlefield 2 was programmed like crap. But it's REALLY REALLY BAD.

I just had a huge memory flashback... I ran into similar issues with Battlefied than refused to start whenever I switched the refresh rate. It looks like those guys never learn from their mistakes. I don't remember the specifics but it sounds familiar... I might have been playing with Stereo googles on my CRT hence forcing refresh rates in the 100-120Hz. But even in 85Hz I had issues in 1280x960.

:) for both EA and Dice.

EDIT: my memory comes back... I was forcing the refresh rates in order to keep my eyes alive in the days where most DirectX games would launch in 60Hz. So I was forcing everything 100Hz in low res and 85Hz in 1280x960 and up. So its EXACTLY the same issues the program that I used removed the other refresh rates so the only option would be one refresh rate per resolution.

SAME CRAP OVER AND OVER....

Edited by Fabrice Roux

• 4 months later...

Wow I thought I was actually going to get this to work for me by following Zeitgeist fix. I have really tried everything possible to get this to work, from common things to extreme. Reformated, reinstalled, refresh lock progs, shortcut mogifications, video con, drivers, ect...

Symtom: Start BF, see the spash screen, goes black, then to desktop.

I have:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional

Model: MKD900K06a00034

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX w/256MB DDR3

Driver Version: 7.9.3.1

Bios Version: 5.70.02.25.11

MTECH D900K model

AMD A64 X2 4800+

2048MB DDR2 PC3200 Dual Channel 400MHz (2X1024)

RAID 0 setup

17" WUXGA w/Glassview

BF2 patch 1.4

Quick update and thank you thank you thank you.

I followed Zeitgeist except I had to leave/change the video.con file and match what I did in the shortcut.

Also I had provide a screen resolution that was supported by the game, so i went with 1600 x 1200.

It would not work when I treid 1920 x 1200.

anyway all, I'm sooo happy I have it working. I missed this game so much after I bought my freaking $3700 laptop. ughh.

• 9 months later...

I tried both solutions and they don't work. I still get the Symtom: Start BF, see the spash screen, goes black, then to desktop.

Notebook: Hp dv9500t

Windows Vista Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (64bit)

Graphics:

NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GS

Display Memory: 1008 MB

Dedicated Memory: 241 MB

Shared Memory: 767 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Driver Version: 7.15.0011.0134

Driver Date: 5/22/2007

Bios Information: Version 60.86.44.0.15

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 2046MB DDR2 RAM

17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen

I've been stressing over this for days now and I'm getting nowhere fast. I tried hooking an external monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 940MW 1440x900 @75Hz) and it runs like a champ. I want it to run on the notebook screen, any thoughts?

Edited by steelbeast07

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
its the screens refresh rate thats the problem. Its at 59hz, while the games lowest setting is 60hz

I am running (well trying to run) BF2 on a Toshiba X205-S9359 with the same problem. My display refresh rate is also 59hz. I have tried all of the above fixes will no luck. So are there any tricks to FORCE 60hz refresh rate on these laptops??

i have the same laptop and i havent been able to figure out how to force the game to 59hx or the lcd up to 60hz. the only way to play on a 59hz laptop is to use an external monitor. which sucks

• 2 weeks later...

Well I e-mailed Samsung about the refresh 59hz issue. Here is what I got:

Dear Ollie,

The only way to change the frequency is to modify the EDID file.

But, the data is written in the EEPROM, unchangable.

Sorry for not helping you this time.

Regards,

• 1 month later...

I sent the following support request to EA

I cannot play Battlefield 2142 nor Northern Strike.

After I install the game and start to run the game it crashes and asks me to insert the disk.

I have reformatted numerous times using both XP and Vista, and using various NVidia drivers nothing fixes the problem.

I did some research and it appears that there are many people with the same problem.

My monitor only runs at 59hz refresh rate, but when I plug in an auxilliary CRT or LCD monitor and select 60hz on the auzillary monitor, i can play the game on the auxilliary monitor.

A quick search on Google confirms that many people are having this same problem.

http://www.google.com/search?q=battlefield+59hz

When can we expect a patch to fix this issue and allow us to play the game at 59hz?

This was their reply:

Hello!

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Technical Support. I apologize for the difficulty you're having with Battlefield 2142.

Unfortunately, the game does not support and is not tested to run in 59 Hertz refresh rate. Please make sure that the refresh rate is set to 60 Hertz in order to run the game.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com).

Sincerely,

Chris P.

EA Technical Support